Pontoon Boat

laszlo

I plan on buying a new Pontoon Boat next month.

What should I be looking for when buying one?

I'm talking about the Pontoons that are for floating down rivers.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Edited by laszlo

Look for one that doesn't leak! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, there is a wide range in price and quality out there. Stay away from the cheaper ones that only use non-durable material on the sides and tops of the pontoons as they'll eventually rip and tear on branches and other snags that you'll encounter on the river.

If you are going to stick to the average river in Southern Ontario where you aren't going to encounter Class II (or more) rapids, then you don't need to look at expensive boats that are intended to tame wild Western rivers.

Check Kijiji, both Bill M and I bought our boats there for a fraction of what they would have been new.

Mine is in the foreground (A Water Skeeter "Backcast") and Bill's is an Outfitter X9. We love them!!!

IMG_1886.jpg

X2 what was said above.

I started with a cheap $250 I found at CT, it was horrible for alot of reasons. I returned it the next day, and found one on sale at BassPro for $400. Mine is also a water skeeter and have had it for a few years. Mine is not meant for fast current either. Mine also supports a motor mount so I can put a small kicker or trolling motor on it.

Like Dave and Bill , I also picked up a new/used one for $200 in the states. It's a Water Skeeter built for class II which is probably max for what I want to float through. Water Skeeter is closed up so you might be able to find a good deal out there. I fished out of a 2 man one this year and it's awesome !

Joseph

Hey Lasz,

I had a white river pontoon from Bass Pro Shops. It served me well, was quite rugged and handled a ton of weight once I added all kinds of extra toys to it.. lol It was rigged up with with an electric motor, rod holders, a seat, fish finder w/ GPS the whole deal. The only thing I would have changed was getting the model that had split pontoons or dual chambers or whatever they're called for a little extra safety.

gallery_133_237_32722.jpg

gallery_133_237_161000.jpeg

Good Luck!

Ryan

Hey Lasz,

I had a white river pontoon from Bass Pro Shops. It served me well, was quite rugged and handled a ton of weight once I added all kinds of extra toys to it.. lol It was rigged up with with an electric motor, rod holders, a seat, fish finder w/ GPS the whole deal. The only thing I would have changed was getting the model that had split pontoons or dual chambers or whatever they're called for a little extra safety.

gallery_133_237_32722.jpg

gallery_133_237_161000.jpeg

Good Luck!

Ryan

Like this one of mine Ryan? :D

Kam_1.jpg

It holds my fat :asshat: and my pups too!!!! :lol:

P9240031.jpg

What ever toon you end up with make sure it has a good seat, good quality multi piece oars 7' long with brass oar locks and has an anchor system available for it.

Other nice to haves are multi chambered pontoons and motor mount.

Like this one of mine Ryan? :D

Kam_1.jpg

It holds my fat :asshat: and my pups too!!!! :lol:

P9240031.jpg

What ever toon you end up with make sure it has a good seat, good quality multi piece oars 7' long with brass oar locks and has an anchor system available for it.

Other nice to haves are multi chambered pontoons and motor mount.

That's EXACTLY the one I was talking about! lol I would have loved to keep my pontoon but when I got the G3 I had to sell it to buy some needed extra's for my new rig... I miss it though for my little reservoir when the park closes and the only way in is on foot.