Shark attacks Tarpon

Shaun Rickard

They're lucky they didn't lose a hand or worse. Running all over the boat and falling down, with sharks roaming around under the boat. I bet they look back and say "what the heck were we thinking".

Charter Fishing for Tarpon in Boca Grande is a little pricey!

However, we can all dream!

Sharks attacking tarpon that are hooked happens all over their range.

On one trip to the keys we had a shark attack a tarpon twice that size that we had on. It was in the 130 to 140 pound range. The attack came at the very end of the fight but the tarpon was brought to the boat and released with only a few scales missing.

Typical tarpon gear is 20# test with 80 to 100 pound leaders.

I saw a video of Roland Martin fishing Boca and he had a 150# tarpon eaten off the end of his line by a hammerhead that was estimated to be close to 2000#. :w00t:

I won't swim in Florida waters unless they are tiled and have a swim up bar now. :lol:

I've had the good fortune to fish Boca Grand and that video wasn't in Boca waters......might be Port Charlotte area. I've also witnessed first hand shark attacks on Tarpon and it's frightening to see....those Hammerheads get pretty big and they are vicious.

Sharks attacking tarpon that are hooked happens all over their range.

On one trip to the keys we had a shark attack a tarpon twice that size that we had on. It was in the 130 to 140 pound range. The attack came at the very end of the fight but the tarpon was brought to the boat and released with only a few scales missing.

Typical tarpon gear is 20# test with 80 to 100 pound leaders.

I saw a video of Roland Martin fishing Boca and he had a 150# tarpon eaten off the end of his line by a hammerhead that was estimated to be close to 2000#. :w00t:

I won't swim in Florida waters unless they are tiled and have a swim up bar now. :lol:

We came face to face with a smaller hammerhead (8/9') while diving off Boynton Beach Fla a few years ago. We were just drifting on the gulf stream being very still (lazy) and I guess we caught the hh off guard. We were only about 20' from him when he did an amazing double take and hightailed it for deep water. That's been my experience with most sharks I've met in the Fla/Caribbean waters. They're usually pretty timid except for the Nurse sharks that are like lazy dogs. They seldom run until you try to touch them.

I've been told that Bull sharks are inclined to be more aggressive along with most of the Requiem family. Fortunately we don't see as many Bulls but when we do we keep our distance.

I think most divers will tell you that sharks aren't nearly as scary once you get accustomed to their presence. They aren't all the man killers they're made out to be although most (all?) of them are capable of inflicting serious damage if provoked.

JF

I think most divers will tell you that sharks aren't nearly as scary once you get accustomed to their presence. They aren't all the man killers they're made out to be although most (all?) of them are capable of inflicting serious damage if provoked.

JF

I'll defer to your experience but ask you this; would you hang over the side of a boat holding onto the other half of a 14' hammer head's lunch?

Some of us were born with balls, others with brains. And then there's me; I'd be stupid enough to think about it but not brave enough to do it!

I'll defer to your experience but ask you this; would you hang over the side of a boat holding onto the other half of a 14' hammer head's lunch?

Some of us were born with balls, others with brains. And then there's me; I'd be stupid enough to think about it but not brave enough to do it!

No way! I'm not a big fan of teasing sharks. I was buddied up with some clown from the west coast on one dive and he thought it was great fun to sneak up on Nurse sharks and grab them byt the tail. Then he'd hang on while the shark flailed around. I told him later he was an idiot. He was offended. I couldn't abandon himas we were dive buddies but I made sure to keep my distance from him and not get in front of the sharks he was annoying. I've petter nurse sharks that we came across laying down in the swimthroughs and troughs in the coral, but very very gently.

JF