NF - garage door insulation

GBW

im going to assume there are 2x6 walls above the 2x10 3 plys (floor Joists) and 4 ply in the third pic....they should be insulated R20 from the inside of the house....is the interior of the house in this room cathedral ceiling ...because moore vents were to be place all the way up the entire roof or a false roof was to be built from the inside to create 1 1/2 inch ventilation of the cathedral...if they foamed right to the sheeting (that your shingles are on ) its done wrong and heat and cold will transfer through ( hopefully this isnt the case ...because its a painful deal if it is )

in pic 3 i think i see batt insulation sticking out from the cathedral ceiling from the habitable space....no vents = not correct but it is hard to determine from these pics..

were the garage walls insulated ???if so ...they should have been insulated all the way up to the stick framing for the cathedral with vents ..

do you have pics after the insulation was installed???

Edited by Twocoda

I was mad before I posted this about this problem here but now I'm VERY MAD! I just went into my daughters room to give her a kiss goodnight and make sure she is tucked-in and her room is +17C! The rest of the house is much warmer then that too.

I know Tony (the site super.) here was a hard :asshat: on the guys but this is just wrong. I even have the heat shrink wrap window covering on the windows in her room right now and it's still that cold. Anyone want to take on Fernbrook?

Geoff go around and adjust the heat vents to the rest of the house to see if you can blow more heat in the room for your daughter...maybe even close off the ones to rooms that arent being used ...check your furnace filter...(just thinking out loud)

is this the first time in two years you have noticed this problem?

According to Tarion website, heat issues are covered for the first 2 years...

SECOND YEAR

TARION also has a second year form. The following items are covered for 2 years under TARION:

Water penetration of basement or foundation

Water penetration of the rest of the building envelope

Electrical system defects

Plumbing system defects

Heating system defects

Exterior cladding defects

Major structural defects

Violation of the Ontario Building Code’s health and safety provisions.

Hey Twocoda, no this isn't the first time and I have closed all the other vents. I even had the Terion people send out a person after the first year to test things and they said her room is fine for air flow and so forth. I checked the filter the other day too and it's fine.

Fisher, I'm over 2-years in the house, coming up on 3 in the summer. They told me to "go away" in a nice way...

tarion will just drag their heels until the warranty expires. i rarely here of anyone getting satisfaction from them.

good building codes do not equal good building practices.

the majority of new homes are not thouroughly inspected anyway, lots of builders in our area are 'pre approved' as they have been around forever.

nice to see all these guys willing to help you out. i have a feeling your garage door fix is going to grow and GROW.!!!!

nice to see all these guys willing to help you out. i have a feeling your garage door fix is going to grow and GROW.!!!!

I agree and I hope to have it fixed real soon. One person has offered to provide me free white styrofoam to help out too. His work get's lot's of it and has no use for it.

Well I have learned some valuable stuff from this thread.

My daughters room was 14 degrees the other night. We jacked up the heat abit and closed vents to other rooms to get her as much heat as we could, she is now around 17 degrees. She is 9 months old so its abit of concern.

Our house is 1970 sidesplit, the garage is concrete shell as far as I can tell. I am not sure what in the way of insulation is between us and the garage. I am also going to check out the windows they were replaced in the late 90's for proper insulation.

I may need to call someone in though based on what I have learned here, could be a big job.

Goodluck GBW, you wouldn't expect that on a new home.

Check tour attic, insulating was sometimes done by the lowest guy in the pecking order on a job site and they rarely did good job. The most common mistake was not fully covering the top plate of the wall and sometimes the blown in stuff will blow around up there.

A lot of those 70's houses would overhang the basement for 2', some would put in some fiberglass and then cover with vented soffit. If this was not sealed up it was always cold.

You're best bet is to get a spray foam guy in, they've seen it all and can fix you up.

I was flipping channels last night and at 11, lo and behold, Holmes Inspection was tackling a house with multiple water leaks in the roof and a cold room over the garage. Insulation problems and having a vent blowing warm air into the space between the garage ceiling and the floor of the room without a cold air return were the issue. Check up in the attic to see if there is sufficient insulation and you'll have to rip out the drywall in the garage and have it spray foamed properly. Get a space heater to keep the room warm. Do what you have to do, a bit more on the hydro bill beats having a sick child. You should still be able to pursue Tarion since you did complain about the issue but did not have it resolved. I'd speak to a lawyer if I were you. A nasty letter from a lawyer can sometimes work miracles.

Good luck Bud!!

Check tour attic, insulating was sometimes done by the lowest guy in the pecking order on a job site and they rarely did good job. The most common mistake was not fully covering the top plate of the wall and sometimes the blown in stuff will blow around up there.

based on the pitch of the cathedral ceiling im going to say the ceiling wasnt blown in ...its too steep for celulose to not sag to the bottom...

with the heat runs in the pics posted they look to be installed low below the floor joists...and if the bulk head wasnt treated as habitable space ...im betting the coolness of the bulkhead is cooling the air before it gets to the room....this is an easy fix though.... inconvenient ...but easy and painless..

Im going to assume your builders response wasnt favorable to what you wanted to hear which is why you were forced to call Tarion in the first place...if i was you ...i would call your builder to come and see for himself now that the weather is cold out and if it remains an issue then revisit the Tarion route with a second opinion

In the meantime ...break out your "Home Owners Package" and read it thouroughly...so you understand the proper route to resolving this issue

If your builder is any kind of a company...they will make it right without involving Tarion ...too many marks against a certain company will increase his "inventory and security" payments to them for future builds...

Strik is right ....a builder will protect his standings with Tarion at any cost unless the home owner is totally incorrigible ( not saying this is the case here but it does happen and those people are out there) Ergo...Tarion is a "God sent" to some builders...

Someone suggested a space heater for the interim....good idea..do what ya have to do..

GBW, unfortunately, I purchased a Fernbrook home in Burlington over 5 years ago. I feel your pain. Nice looking home, but it was built like complete crap from workers that had no clue and didn`t care. Terion was little help with the huge list of problems. It was very frustrating to say the least. I am still finding things wrong every year that have to be fixed :wallbash:

Just in the last month alone I have learned of two major problems. I just put in a central vac unit last month and learned half the homes central vac rough-in doesn`t work and was never hooked up at all, including piping to the garage :wallbash::wallbash:

Just this week my wife found all the windows and frames soaked and mouldy from heavy condensation all over the windows, and now I have to get someone in to look at that issue :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: and the list goes on...

I know there are horror stories from some builders, and unfotunately I think Fernbrook is near the top of the list. I will NEVER buy a Fernbrook home again, and neither will most people in my area. They are brutal IMO.

On a side note; I have a two-car garage with one big wooden door. I recently insulated the door by glueing the blue R10 2 inch sheets onto the inside of the door. *WARNING* The garage door is very heavy now! I didn`t realize how heavy it would make the door, so keep that in mind if you have one big door. It helped to keep my garage warmer, although I still have to insulate around the garage door and the wall to the outside, as they do not insulate that wall. I also put the weather strips all around the garage door which helped.

I have heaters in the garage installed on the ceiling aimed down at my boat to keep it warm and dry all winter, although I only put the heaters on for a day or two after a trip if the boat is wet or full of snow. Without heat, my garage stays between 5 to 10 C in the winter now and never gets below freezing.

Thanks for the info Aaron. As for the windows, bleach will remove it then use the mold killing spray (I forget the name of it). You have to open your blinds a bit in the day to let the window breath too. I found that it helps.