Bowfin Through the Ice?

EC1

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to fish for bowfin during the ice season? If not, in what type of water are you incidentally catching these fish?

Care to share what type of baits you were using when you got them too?

Google wasn't too much of my friend for this..So I hope someone here has more experience. Was hoping to see if they are worth targetting in case other game fish refuse to cooperate.

Thanks in Advance!

BTW, here's one that attacked my spinnerbait while fishing for bass earlier this year!

5259538846_5a0e84cf61_z.jpg

Edited by EC1

Lol we get them from time to time in dunnville through the ice. But not catching them... They have a tendency to pop up through the hole just to have a peak at what's goin on.

Fishmaster has had it happen a few times, landed a big one by hand when it popped up the hole

Lol we get them from time to time in dunnville through the ice. But not catching them... They have a tendency to pop up through the hole just to have a peak at what's goin on.

Fishmaster has had it happen a few times, landed a big one by hand when it popped up the hole

Are you kidding?

He isn't kidding about them coming up through the hole I have never seen it happen but have been told stories by numours anglers while ice fishing :)

If I am not mistaken they have the ability to gulp air to breathe, that's why they can be found in some pretty low oxygen level areas, maybe they are just getting a gulp of air.

If I am not mistaken they have the ability to gulp air to breathe, that's why they can be found in some pretty low oxygen level areas, maybe they are just getting a gulp of air.

DING DING DING we have a winner!!! They indeed have a primitive lung.

Art

Ok...now I gotta go hit the ice in bowfin territory!! Just to see them poppin' out of the holes...and catching them would be fun too...those things fight like mad! I actually ate one a couple years ago...deeeeeeelicious! Honest! blush.gif

Ok...now I gotta go hit the ice in bowfin territory!! Just to see them poppin' out of the holes...and catching them would be fun too...those things fight like mad! I actually ate one a couple years ago...deeeeeeelicious! Honest! blush.gif

yeah

I will take your word on it

but will not try

That'd be pretty amazing to watch a bowfin just jump out of the hole! :w00t:

And Mike, in 4FOW that's really shallow for ice fishing!

JohnnyB I'll agree to you saying that they are tasty...We took one home before and made soup out of it. Surprisingly good!

That'd be pretty amazing to watch a bowfin just jump out of the hole! :w00t:

And Mike, in 4FOW that's really shallow for ice fishing!

JohnnyB I'll agree to you saying that they are tasty...We took one home before and made soup out of it. Surprisingly good!

The bay I fish is shallow, the perch last year were in 4-5ft of water on weeds, i honestly caught 4 12"+ perch in the same hole the bowfin came out of last season.

yeah

I will take your word on it

but will not try

My buddy cleaned it up...said it had brutally tough meat....had it frozen for a few months before we got together to try it...not sure if that helped. But we cubed it up and deep fried it in wontons....blew me away! The closest thing I could relate it to was a smoked pork roast...firm and meaty, but not rubbery at all.