Boat Equipment

Don`t forget one of them portable battery packs i know most bigger boats nowadays have 2 or 3 batteries and the chance of running all 3 flat are slim but they are handy if your cranking battery needs a little help, Canadian Tire usually has them on sale, a good sharp knife to cut anchor rope you never know when that anchor will jam on the bottom, a first aid kit in case you grab the business end of a Musky and maybe think of a float switch for your bilge pump if it`s not already automatic.

Enjoy your new rig I got a new full windshield boat last fall and they are nice on those cold mornings.

I carry booster cables in my boat too, incase my cranking battery ever dies in the middle of the lake for whatever reason, I can boost it from one of my deep cycles, or I can use them to help a stranded boater, which I've been able to do a couple times.

On a boat that size my first pick would be an electric trolling motor, at least 74 pound thrust, 24 volt. You are required to carry a paddle or oar? Just my experiance that they are all but useless, well as a push pole if the water is shallow.

2 anchors and extra anchor line, in most cases 50 feet of anchor line is more than enough, but having an extra 100 feet or so on board is a margin of safety.

Like Lew mentioned jumper cables are a good bet. Most motors have a fuse under the cowl, find out what size and carry a spare!

I agree with Ohio fisherman a paddle on a larger boat is useless. I carry a push pole and a spare anchor. You don't need a paddle if you have 2 anchors with at least 100 of rope. Don't forget in larger bodies of water you need that length of rope to anchor steadily in the waves. I think the rule is 7-1 for overnight and 5-1 for general anchoring.

The only thing that I can add is to find out if the

electrical system is fused or breaker.

If they are breaker system you don't want the auto reset ones

The reason why is that most trip do to a short.

They will cool and reset them selfs creating the short again and again

till the system burns it's self out.

Usually causing a fire.

Great advices from everyone, but :sleeping_02:

In my opinion :rolleyes: you have to decide for yourself three things

1. What I have to have ?

2. What I should have ?

3. What I want to have ?

Like somebody's said before you do not want to take you garage with you on the fishing trip, or if you do you will sink before you start fishing ( or you will need small barge or pontoon towed behind (with all the "neccesities") your boat if you want to be prepared for for anything and everything.....

If I had to do it this way, I should give up fishing long time ago.

Just use your common sense.

For comparison: let say you've bought new car

Do you care in your trunk?

spare battery ?

jumper cables ?

brake pads ?

spark plugs ?

brake fluid?

can of oil?

I could list tens more, but it is not my point

As I understand your boat is new, just enjoy it the way you want

Just not to discurage you <_< , you have to remember that you have also trailer, and obviously there are few things you have to have, should have and want to have.

My 0.02$

ROPE - Lots of rope, and cleats on each side of the boat.

Bumpers - Don't want to pull up to that old dock and scratch all the paint off.

Knot Tieing Book - Don't want that new boat to float away

Patience - When you first pull into dock the boat, you will be going to fast, you will hit the dock, you will get used to it, just don't freak out.

A checklist for trailering - Including remembering to remove transom straps, check for power before floating off the boat, etc, etc.

I think maybe you should keep us OFC'ers off your boat!!!!! with all the stuff they would bring yer boat might sink!!!!! lol...... The poor guys first boat and he already thinking he should spent less to afford all the stuff to go on it!!! lol

Jackets, survival kit, a boaters kit( you pick up anywhere), and you should be good to go for an outing... Of course there is OH so much you COULD bring but each trip is different... Only bring what you need for each trip. But do have some spare parts in case. ie prop, fuses, gas, plugs (spark and hull), and oil . and a tool kit. learn your sonar inside and out and you will be good to go.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, lots of smart and good advice. One thing i would like someone to comment on. I was told that when trailoring a boat, often the bearings on the wheels get worn and may cause the wheel to fly, hence I should keep extra sets in the car and watch for wobbeling. Has this happened to anyone?

Check your bearings every spring to ensure no wear and repack with grease. Replace if any wear is noticed. After that just take a visual for signs of grease being thrown past the seals every time you go to pull away. Under normal circumstances and a bit of your attention you should have no troubles at all.