Two new Braids

Garry2Rs

There are two interesting new braided lines just coming onto the market.

The first is Sufix 832 braid.

This product is an 8 strand braid that includes a Gore-Tex fibre. Using 8 strands makes the finished line round, as opposed to oval, like the 4 strand Powerpro.

Adding one strand of Gore-Tex allows Sufix to braid this line much tighter. In fact the 32 in the name refers to 32 pic's, or weaves, per-inch. According to Sufix, braids this tight were not practical in the past because the fibres would actually cut each other!

Sufix claims that the Gore-Tex fibre is extra slippery, and "lubricates" the weave, allowing them to braid it tighter. Their advertising shows samples of line with and without the Gore-Tex fibre, after 1000 cycles. The 832 looks new, while the "regular " looks quite fuzzy.

The advantages of a tighter braid include, being quieter as it passes through the guides, less water pick-up, more resistance to stray hook points as well as making the outside diameter smaller for a given pound test.

I am now testing some 30 pound test on a casting rod and have ten pound test on back-order for spinning. Obviously it's too soon to know very much. Straight out of the package all lines look good and feel smooth etc. A couple of months of use might make a difference. As expected, this line seems slick, tight and quite small for 30#. I'm pleased to report that there is no white thread running through the braid, like there was in the drawings used in the advertising.

The second new braid is from Spiderwire. It's called Ultra-Cast Fluoro-Braid. This month Bass Master magazine said "...nearly half the line contains Gore fibres..." On the Spider web-site they claim the line sinks like Fluorocarbon, making it ideal for Crankbaits and weightless plastics etc. Also on the site is a drawing showing a four strand line with two white fibres and two green strands. Now, two is half of four, not nearly half, so perhaps the drawing is wrong...After all, there is no white strand in the actual 832, and I doubt there will be white strands in this braid. Another idea is that since it will be available in weights from 10 to 100 pound test the number of strands used to form the braid might change with the line's weight. I have not seen it for sale yet, but the Spider-site indicates you can order from them at $21.00 a spool.

In the past, I found Ultra-Cast Invisa-braid very disappointing. It was a very loose weave and broke unexpectedly. On the other hand I always liked Spider's Stealth braid and their EZ Braid.

The idea of a sinking braid is interesting, although it might mean dedicated rods and reels for sinking/diving baits etc.

These lines will probably be at the Spring Fishing Show.

I will try to let you know more about them before February.

Garry2R's

Fishing is my favourite form of loafing.

In the past, I found Ultra-Cast Invisa-braid very disappointing. It was a very loose weave and broke unexpectedly. On the other hand I always liked Spider's Stealth braid and their EZ Braid.

I had the same experience with the Invisa-braid cost me $30 worth of lures (A bulldog and a big husky jerk and a big spinner bait) all with in a couple hours on 65lb test braid would just break mid cast for no reason at all .I have been using shakespere cajun braid for 2 seasons now and have been very happy with it .

Thanks for the informative post. My curiosity is with the Suffix stuff. I used 50lb PP last season for frogs, never had 1 bass break my line. Although super strong and limp the color change was definitely there but never bugged the fish I caught either on jigs or frogs...never did the marker stuff either to make the line darker.

Looking to hear what you think of the product Garry.

Thanks for sharing,

MTBF

I've tried daiwa samurai, act my favourite braid. Made the mistake of buying 20lb first, learned the hard way, had breakages all the time even on casts, not sure if it was a bad spool. Bought 55, no problems. Interested to see how these braids stack up to daiwas

It's awesome you're trying new stuff out! Saves me from going out to get it lol. Btw, have you tried daiwa samurai braid? That's got 8 weaves and although it went kinda fuzzy, still very happy with it.

That fuzz you speak of is something I have seen with many brands.

I have also found that after a year or so of heavy use, my braid starts to break unexpectedly.

Perhaps Sufix is right and this unexpected failure is due to the fibres cutting themselves.

It all seems to make sense.

Spectra and Dyneema can't be dyed, so companies use something like a wax as a carrier for the line colour. The wax would act as a lubricant...The breakage has always been with well used lines, that had no colour, so no lubrication, left in them. A Gore-Tex fibre might indeed be the next evolutionary step.

Thanks for the informative post. My curiosity is with the Suffix stuff. I used 50lb PP last season for frogs, never had 1 bass break my line. Although super strong and limp the color change was definitely there but never bugged the fish I caught either on jigs or frogs...never did the marker stuff either to make the line darker.

Looking to hear what you think of the product Garry.

Thanks for sharing,

MTBF

I bought 500 yards of 40# Powerpro Hollow Ace last winter and converted 4 bass reels to the knotless leader system. Hollow Ace is a 16 strand braid that casts easily and seems to hold-up fine.

I normally use a 20# mono leader for frogs, toads and top-waters. The stiffness of the mono helps to keep the bait from over-running the limp braid and fouling the hooks.

On the other hand, I am always looking for something better. Sufix 832 sounded like it might be worth a try.

Hey Garry, I have been using the Sufix 832 braid all season now. I have to admit the line is quite different than anything I have ever used. So far, I am very impressed with the braid. First thing I noticed is how slippery the line feels. It spooled on both spinning reels and baitcasters evenly and seemed to have the look of mono on the spool. So far after a season of use, I haven't noticed the colour of the line fade. It is quieter going through the guides and casts further. Time will tell if the line eventually fades and by how much after heavy use. I haven't had the 832 break once on me all year.

I had an opportunity to sit in on a presentation on the Sufix 832 recently. I was shocked with the results in all the testing and findings. They have been working on this braid now for something like 6 years!

I didn't realize that most braided lines lose up to 40 percent of its strength after a short time with use. Sufix 832 only looses something like 4 percent and keeps that strength. According to Sufix, 832 is the only braided line available that keeps close to its full strength. That is substantial in itself.

The 832 is also the only braided line to appear to have no wear and tear after the testing cycles. All the other braids that were tested looks severely frayed after the cycles. From what I understand, the reason the 832 keeps its strength and doesn't become frayed after prolonged use has to do with a combination of the Sufix weave and gore fiber strand. The gore strand needs this specific weave in order to reach the full potential of the benefits of the gore fibers. I learned that this is one of the main reasons that Rapala purchased Sufix, for their braided weave technology.

It seems the Sufix 832 braided line won an award at the ICast show in Vegas this year for a reason.

I learned in the Sufix presentation, that the 832 has less vibration than other braids allowing for further casts and improved accuracy. I can personally attest to the further casts with 832, but I haven't noticed improved accuracy in my casts. Actually, many of my casts while first trying the line have ended up on some docks unexpectedly after going too far :oops:

After the presentation I thought that 832 seemed quite superior to other braids and it did a good job to explain the qualities of the braid that I had been experiencing. I look forward to put the 832 through its paces again next year.

I wonder what the cost of it will be to other braids? Has anyone seen it for sale in stores yet?

For those that want to check out the braid: Sufix 832

Hey Garry, I have been using the Sufix 832 braid all season now.

I wonder what the cost of it will be to other braids? Has anyone seen it for sale in stores yet?

For those that want to check out the braid: Sufix 832

Thanks for the additional information Aaron.

The US retail is slightly higher than Powerpro/Fireline et al.

I paid $19.99 at Tackle Warehouse. vs. about $13.99 or $14.99 for the others.

Here's a question...if you don't want to answer on the open board please PM me.

For a long time I have suspected that Sufix made at least some of Spiderwire and Berkley's braids. The reason for this is that they all seem to bring out new lines, with similar features, at the same time.

Since I suspect that Rapala/Sufix would try to tie-up the use of Gore-Fibre in fishing line before entering any agreement, and since Spider now has this new Gore line at the same time as 832, it strengthens my suspicions...any ideas?

Edited by garry2rs

I'm very interested in this....thanks for the info Garry and Aaron! I'm a big fan of braid all year round....I put up with it's high maintenance issues through the ice...this 832 sounds like it might be a nice option for cold weather too. (For those who like braid)

Hey Garry, I don't believe that Sufix makes line for the other brands, but I am not 100 percent on that. Most products now in many different brands, whether digital cameras, fishing rods, braid etc seem to come out with similar features in their products at the same time. I don't know how the other brands find out about the original features and come out with something similar so quickly. That always blows me away.

From what I understood at the Sufix presentation, they aren't worried about the other brands coming out with gore fibers in their versions of braid, as it is the specific patented Sufix weave that allows the Gore strand in the braid to be so effective. From what I understand, Rapala tried every way possible to put Gore fibers into braid unsuccessfully to attain all the benefits they desired. This is what prompted Rapala to buy Sufix line, their superior patented weave technology.

Braided lines from different brands all have the same materials, it is the specific weaving process that differentiates the braided lines available on the market.

From what I learned, Gore strands in the middle of a braid or too far apart in weaves do not allow the Gore fibers to work the way they are needed for true longevity and strength.

I believe that the Sufix 832 braid is the next revolutionary step in braided fishing line. Other brands will need to come out with their Gore stranded versions just to compete in the braided line market.

I was trolling for musky on the last day of the season on the Niagara (got skunked). I trolled hard in -10 C. conditions with 3 different types of braid. I had Cortland Master Braid on one reel, standard Sufix on 2 reels, and Sufix 832 on one reel. All the braids were collecting water and freezing the line except for the Sufix 832. The 832 didn't seem to freeze at all, and I am going to try it for ice fishing now. I rarely use braid on the ice outside because it freezes and is a pain, so I am looking forward to testing the 832 on the ice to see just how big of a difference it will make. I will be very pleased if I am able to use a braid on the ice outdoors that doesn't freeze up, because I love braid in some situations. I'll let everyone know how the 832 performs in a future ice report... which I hope will be soon :)

I was trolling for musky on the last day of the season on the Niagara (got skunked). I trolled hard in -10 C. conditions with 3 different types of braid. I had Cortland Master Braid on one reel, standard Sufix on 2 reels, and Sufix 832 on one reel. All the braids were collecting water and freezing the line except for the Sufix 832. The 832 didn't seem to freeze at all, and I am going to try it for ice fishing now. I rarely use braid on the ice outside because it freezes and is a pain, so I am looking forward to testing the 832 on the ice to see just how big of a difference it will make. I will be very pleased if I am able to use a braid on the ice outdoors that doesn't freeze up, because I love braid in some situations. I'll let everyone know how the 832 performs in a future ice report... which I hope will be soon :)

Sounds very promising, Aaron!!! Would be good to have a braid that performs really well for some of those deep water Simcoe fish.

• 2 months later...

I'm using the green sufix 832 on one of ice fishing jigging rods. I like it over the power pro. Does seem to be smoother and does not lose its colour like power pro. Have had no break offs or digg ins on the reel either. Look forward to using it this summer also.

I'm using the green sufix 832 on one of ice fishing jigging rods. I like it over the power pro. Does seem to be smoother and does not lose its colour like power pro. Have had no break offs or digg ins on the reel either. Look forward to using it this summer also.

Yeah the low-vis green is available but is the hi-vis lime green available yet?