How do you Import boat/trailer from the USA

rdambros

Hi Guys, I have an opportunity to buy a boat in the USA, but I have heard some horror stories from friends about bring the boat and trailer over the boarder. So, if anyone has some advice on how to do this with the least amount of problems, please post your information, advice or experience here.

I have the seller getting a compression test at the dealer and he has already told me that he owes money at the bank. So, I will meet him during the week and attend at the bank to pay of his loan.

If there is anything that I am missing, please let me know.

Thanks.

Just be careful that the trailer, boat and motor ALL have clear titles....here in NYS from the best of my knowledge only the boat and trailer would have titles.

How do you know that the title is clear on the boat and/or the trailer. I figure if the bank loans money to finance a boat, they take the title to all three. Correct me if I am wrong. Therefore, when I pay off the loan at the bank, I get clear title for all three?

I am off to google to see what I can find on importing boats. If anyone has a website they referred to in their search, post it here.

How do you know that the title is clear on the boat and/or the trailer. I figure if the bank loans money to finance a boat, they take the title to all three. Correct me if I am wrong. Therefore, when I pay off the loan at the bank, I get clear title for all three?

I am off to google to see what I can find on importing boats. If anyone has a website they referred to in their search, post it here.

Get the serial numbers, go to the RIV website and then call and give them the numbers and they will tell you if they are clear or not.

GOOD QUESTION......

On the titles (boat and trailer) their will be a lien holder stated if money is owned and it's not a clear title...if so the seller needs a letter from the lender stating that the loan was paid in full and they no longer have a lien on that title....if there is no lien, the area on the title that list lien holders will be blank....AND PLEASE remember a registration is NOT a title.

If possible... Come back threw quebec... You save enough on taxes at the border to cover the cost of your trip and cover the vehicle transfer fee on your trailer...

Also get the bill of sale separate for the boat... Motor... And trailer and get the seller to put most of the cost on the motor.... This will also save you tax money...

Me and my dad have both bought boats in the us it's so easy I can't believe more people dont do it

Also method of payment usually has to be cash unless you wanna stay for 48 hours for the bank to clear an "international check"... Bull right... But if it's less than $10,000 you don't have to declare the cash.... If its over that you have to fill out a form... No biggy

Oh yeah... I bought a 1998 Lund explorer1600 with a 40 Honda tiller and dad bought a 2004 ranger 620t 115 Johnson tiller...

Very good info here - except I doubt RIV will do anything re: titles for you. RIV only deals with trailer recalls and you getting it safetied (sort of) at Canadian Tire. I have done it twice and it was easy. PM me and I will give you more info or my phone # if you need help. It is worth it - you should be able to save a ton!!!

Landry

• 1 year later...

If possible... Come back threw quebec... You save enough on taxes at the border to cover the cost of your trip and cover the vehicle transfer fee on your trailer...

Also get the bill of sale separate for the boat... Motor... And trailer and get the seller to put most of the cost on the motor.... This will also save you tax money...

Me and my dad have both bought boats in the us it's so easy I can't believe more people dont do it

Also method of payment usually has to be cash unless you wanna stay for 48 hours for the bank to clear an "international check"... Bull right... But if it's less than $10,000 you don't have to declare the cash.... If its over that you have to fill out a form... No biggy

Hey MM,

good info here...

Why is it cheaper to come in through Quebec? Putting most o fthe cost on the motor will save money in taxes? Why? Are Canadian black Book values lower on Outboards vs. the actual boat itself?

i dont know about the quebec thingy...

States that don`t have titles will have a document that you can print off that proves they are non title states (helps with lack of title explanation)

i`m not sure why you are mentioning black book values - each of my transactions were on actual sales prices (sorry if this has changed)

72 hrs only required on land based vehicles - its quite clear on the website though there are definitely border staff that think otherwise...

keep all your forms and documents they come in handy in a year or so when the govt asks if you paid tax on the boat, which, of course, you had paid to them during the import process..

don`t mess around too much with total price (split it up any way you like) - a coworker was bringing a motorcycle across claimed to have paid xxx$ - the customs officer had the ``ebay you have won this item`` sheet printed off in their hand!! clever..

My reply from the other thread.

Picked up our Lund Pro Sport from Michigan, super simple process. Although there are a few things you need to make sure you have in order.

Seeing that Michigan is a non-title state (For anything under 20ft) you'll need to have a letter from the bank stating there are no liens on the boat(If there are liens, you won't be allowed to bring it across) RIV fee and the taxes are paid at the border (On the boat), you'll pay a bit more at the MTO when you go to plate the trailer. Very easy process, we were in and out of customs within 5 mins.

Make sure the trailer also has the inspection sticker/serial on it (Located near one of the tail lights), you'll need when registering it here.

Also make sure you declare anything over 10k in cash if going across the border.

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreaciated. I made a call to Canada customs as well. As mentioned, seems like a pretty simple process. Now I just need to find a good boat.

It's tough to really judge a boat from a website and I'd hate to drive all the way to Michigan to find out the boat is a dud. I guess that's the gamble I'll have to take.