Boater's card

Roy

Transport Canada has announced that tests for the boater's card will go from the present 36 questions to 50 questions in April 2011. This measure will ensure that our waterways become safer. These people never cease to amaze me. :blink:

There will also be a mandatory 3 hour study session online! :D

Probably want to make it comply with the US standards, same as the 50 question test that cps uses. Makes your card good for most of the states.

That simple little test for the boaters card that some didn't cheat on did bring down the # of boating accidents so they are probably right.

Well I'm glad that now that the majority of boaters paid for and have their card, they're really gonna get serious about it :rolleyes::wallbash:

They sent me an email today with that info Roy, including a link to "serious boating accident." Some were quite amusing and had nothing to do with safe boating in Canada :rolleyes:

Instead of adding 14 arbitrary questions, why don't they enforce mandatory swimming lessons for all boaters?

Doesn't matter when you fall it and hit your head or snap a ankle or lets say if you were disabled or for whatever reason I don't think a swim course is the answer. The purpose is to stay afloat not to be swimming. Let's just ware life jackets when the motor is on and well if you can't swim keep the jacket on when your not running the motor...after all the law is to have life coats not swimming certificates.

did that dead horse kick? maybe, maybe not...but let's beat it some more just in case

I've encountered enough idiots on the water I'm not at all opposed to it...I think it should be tougher, like a written drivers test, turkey course, CORE/other provincial hunting courses, etc, etc

soon enough we'll all forget about the one time boating test that consumed all of 30-45 mins of our life and like 30 bucks I think mine cost online...when we're forced to wear pfd's at all times on the water...and again, I wouldn't be opposed...I have my mustang inflatable...I'll just keep on fishing

Actually BB you do.

From the USPS site...Each state has unique boating education requirements, and the boating

rules, laws and regulations vary from state to state for obtaining a boat license or safety certification.

NY state has mandatory boater education law that applies to some operators of boats and/or personal watercraft. You need a certificate if unsupervised under age 18 and for a pwc.

A while back Canadian Power Squadrons Took it upon themselves to make the cps card compliant with most states by going to a 50 question test so that the cps operators card is good in the states.

I'm guessing that is why the feds are going to a 50 question test.

:rofl2::clapping: That made me laugh! Thanks for adding a little humour to the post. Like that works! More bad drivers on the road today than ever.

there are more total drivers on the road today than ever before...idiot drivers increases proportionately with total drivers

perhaps the driving written test wasn't the best example...but i mean look at everything else, you need to pass a knowledge test to drive a vehicle or fly a plane, forklift, etc..but suggesting nothing required to operate a boat is a bit absurd IMO

care to argue the turkey course or CORE???....harder testing does work

there will always be idiots, so referencing idiots as proof testing doesn't work is a piss poor way to dismiss testing