2011 Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations?

GBW

I agree completely. Those pics with 25 fish layed out on the grass are disgusting. I'm glad it's being changed, just surprised I haven't heard more about it.

Thankyou for your agreement your definitly on the right side of the fence, lets all get together and make our Lake Ontario Steelhead fishery the greatest fishery world wide, the potental is there and I still think Lake O Steel is the finest Steel out there. I'll put lake O Steelies agaianst any other in the province, the next step is to get them to spawning sites and then we will have a truely inceridible fishery

I know little if anything about the steelhead there

is it a put and take fishery

is it stocked

is it all natural reproduction

is it a mix

if guys are getting 25 fish to take home it sounds like a pretty healthy fishery

are numbers declining drastically

or is it you want to catch more the 25 fish and release them to be caught again

It is not a put and take fishery, Steelhead have been desiginated a speceies of a reproductive species in the Great Lakes.The MNR along with other juisdictions has given Steelhead(rainbows) a jurisdiction above a put& take fishery, the rainbow fishery is now a desired species and reproduction is encouraged.It is a big bonus for lake ontario fishers to finally get a non native speceies not designated put& take!

I hope this is true about the steelhead limits and I REALLY hope Lake Erie's limits will be adjusted also I hate seeing 10-15 wild hens laying in the grass gilled, no one need 30-40lbs of trout half of it (from once a year charter clients )prolly ends up buried in the bottom freezer and eventually thrown out this is good news for the great lakes steel head even if they are just talking about it :thumbsup_anim:

To be more clear is they want rianbow trout to be a self sustaing population unlike browns/salmon which would be a put& take fishery, although Atlantic Salmon, lake trout fall under the self sustaing window.The goal of the MNR is to restore our lakes to a 1800's type natural regeneration, not likely going to happen

I know little if anything about the steelhead there

is it a put and take fishery

is it stocked

is it all natural reproduction

is it a mix

if guys are getting 25 fish to take home it sounds like a pretty healthy fishery

are numbers declining drastically

or is it you want to catch more the 25 fish and release them to be caught again

Currently it is a mix of stocked fish and natural reproduction. In the Canadian tribs it's mostly wild fish that are returning. The core issue is that since it's stocked, some see it as a put and take. It still is a healthy fishery, but it could be much more and not as reliant on stocking.

As far as number go about 20 years ago the spring run in the Ganny was ~15000 fish. Now it's ~5000, maybe. As mentioned the Americans lowered their limits and supposedly the fishing has greatly increased since.

I hope this is true about the steelhead limits and I REALLY hope Lake Erie's limits will be adjusted also I hate seeing 10-15 wild hens laying in the grass gilled, no one need 30-40lbs of trout half of it (from once a year charter clients )prolly ends up buried in the bottom freezer and eventually thrown out this is good news for the great lakes steel head even if they are just talking about it :thumbsup_anim:

ya dude I know what your saying, don't worry though the american boys get on this crap , I was discusted by the killing fields I've seen over there, one of the reasons I don't fish the American tribs it turns into slauter feild over there. You boys think the Bronte is bad go to Oswego

Currently it is a mix of stocked fish and natural reproduction. In the Canadian tribs it's mostly wild fish that are returning. The core issue is that since it's stocked, some see it as a put and take. It still is a healthy fishery, but it could be much more and not as reliant on stocking.

As far as number go about 20 years ago the spring run in the Ganny was ~15000 fish. Now it's ~5000, maybe. As mentioned the Americans lowered their limits and supposedly the fishing has greatly increased since.

thanks for the info

I hope this is true about the steelhead limits and I REALLY hope Lake Erie's limits will be adjusted also I hate seeing 10-15 wild hens laying in the grass gilled, no one need 30-40lbs of trout half of it (from once a year charter clients )prolly ends up buried in the bottom freezer and eventually thrown out this is good news for the great lakes steel head even if they are just talking about it thumbsup_anim.gif

Dropping the limits to two in both Lake O and Lake E tribs, now that I can go for! As for the lakes, a lot of good gents spend a lot of money on their boats, charters etc. If they dropped the lakes limit to 3 or4, that would be ok with me!

There is one eerie trib I love to hit in the early winter. But now I only C & R. It was a great fshery and within 15 yrs the trout numbers in that trib dwindled quit a bit. Enough to not even take a handfull of roe from a hen!

The problem is we deal with the MNR we are not allowed to put fish, in the stocking area, the fishers have no say, Atlantics yes, Steelhead NO , untill recently it's a crazy MNR deal, try to pen salmon now it's a freaking MNR catastropy , I'm telling you to put 10'000 salmon in a pen and raise them right is like pulling teeth, in fact pulling teeth would be easier. Puting fish in a nice stable enviroment is a good idea then you meet the MNR

Dropping the limits to two in both Lake O and Lake E tribs, now that I can go for! As for the lakes, a lot of good gents spend a lot of money on their boats, charters etc. If they dropped the lakes limit to 3 or4, that would be ok with me!

There is one eerie trib I love to hit in the early winter. But now I only C & R. It was a great fshery and within 15 yrs the trout numbers in that trib dwindled quit a bit. Enough to not even take a handfull of roe from a hen!

Vinny the tribs have been 2 bows for a sport lisence and 1 for conservation for a few years now only brown and speckle remain a 5 fish limit but as far as the guys spend lots on boats and charters doesn't make any sence to me ,they will still be able to take 2 fish home if they choose to and thats plenty of fish IMO .

The way things are going I could see in the future that we will purchase tags for all game species, like deer... :whistling:

its been like that in the maritimes( atlantic salmon) for as long as i can remember...

the two bow was imposed on Lake Huron about 15 years ago i think ....yes it was an uproar for those boys that came from inland...but it has been VERY beneficial to our rainbow population that it is now BETTER THAN IT HAS EVER BEEN!!!!!!!!!!.....its almost a rare occasion to catch a stocked fish...im all for the limit

As for the Charters and derby people ....you can still catch 5 fish a day ...2 trout ..three salmon etc....

learn to deal with it and in 15 years from now youll be thanking the fish gods for incredible outings...

personally ...i have never kept a single fish from Lake O and regardless of the limit on any species ...Never will