My Steelhead Skunk Report

ccmtcanada

I took today off work to do some steelheading! I headed out to a local trib and got there before sunrise. I brought a flashlight to check out visibilities...cause if it sucked I was going to try somewhere else. Anyhow, a quick check showed about 6 inches of visibility!! Much better than when I checked it last evening...couldn't see even a few inches.

Me being a relative newbie to Steelheading tribs, I thought that when the ice melted off, it simply broke free and headed downstream. Little did I know that with the +15C temps a few days ago the trib must have rose at least 4 feet and all it did was dump the ice on the banks. It was quite the awesome sight! (If anyone can recognize this trib from this pic, then you probably already know it intimately...so I think I'm safe in posting it)

gallery_60_23_13934.jpg

Anyhow, there was lots of slush coming down stream, so it was difficult getting a true drift going. I managed it for a while and was getting the hang of it. I moved around after drifting for about 15 minutes or so per area. My line, float, sinkers and rod were freezing up with a nice layer of ice every 5 minutes or so, so that was a pain in the butt. At one spot, another angler stopped to chat...asking if I had any luck yet. I said "nope...nothing". As soon as I said that, my float went under!!!

I set the hook hoping it wasn't just a rock or wood, and I was greeted with the lovely sound of drag peeling off my reel. It took me a good 5 minutes to get the fish close to me. I was getting all excited...it was a big one (at least for me). This was over 30 or so inches and had bright red spawning colours. I tried to make sure it was all tired out before trying to get it out of the water. I was just reaching for the gill plate when it turned directions and my leader snapped!!! I was touching the fish when the leader went....and alas, it swam away. I looked down and noticed that my leader snapped about 3 inches above the hook...there was so much ice build up on everything that I think it may have been nicked. Oh well....

I fished a few more hours without a sniff...then the water started to muddy up again. I was home by 12...telling my story of the "one that got away"........

Edited by ccmtcanada

That was a exciting a report, too bad about the fish. I know how that feels like i landed a salmon it was on shore and just started rolling around on shore broke the fluro and plopped back into the water. Maybe you'll get em next time. Wtg thanks for the report

GOOD TRY BRO!!! WAS ALITTLE TUFF TODAY BUT I THINK MY REPORT GOES THE OTHER WAY LOL

(UP IN A FEW MINS)

Why does this NOT surprise me?? LOL (awesome report for you BTW). I'll get better at this steelhead thing...I have a good teacher....and I'm not one to give up on things.

no offense but if youre planning on releasing the fish try not to gill it. better luck next time

Good point! Will keep it in mind the next time. No offense taken fishfinder...you have a good reputation for the art of steel on here....so I'll take advice from you any day!

You'll get'em next time Cliff.

I like landing with Salmon you can just snatch them no problem by the tail, the rainbows gill area is small so it's possible to hurt them if you grab them that way, I try to grab the tail and belly at the same time, you'll land more that way to if you don't have a net.

Cliff you don't post skunks but this was an almost FISH.Your teacher uses a net.Should have brought the net :oops: Better luck next time :clapping:

Hmmm...you wanna know how many times I thought the same thing??? LOL. Thanks Mike..I'll bring one in again soon I hope!!!

thanks for the report CCMT

The rivers out on the west side are raging full force right now, i cant wait to get up next weekend and start doing reports again!

Another friendly tip with the steelhead, try to bring them in ASAP, dont burn them out as it can harm the fish even more and have a greater chance of not surviving after the release.

Cliff, at least you got out! Too bad for the premature release but as everyone else has mentioned, we expect more from your reports to come!

Good luck on your next outing! I'd offer to be your net man but I don't like being bagged over the head!!LOL

Stan