Clam Nanook Thermal - any opinions ?

Jds63

Hi All,

Counting the days to first ice fishing trip.....

i know this has been discussed before, I was hoping someone might have this model (Clam Nanook)

thinking of getting a portable ice shelter this winter,

Clam or Frabill seem to be the best bet, I like the Clam Nanook which has the thermal fabric that is supposed to prevent condensation inside and is supposed to be a lot warmer

Question:

is the thermal fabric worth the extra money ? is condensation a problem without the thermal fabric ?

preference : 1 man or 2 man as weight is an issue since i will be pulling the shelter myself (no sled)

thanks

I've had a Frabill Fortress 3 man (really only a comfortable for two) for 3 years and have had no problems. Depending on the weather, we can get a little condensation sometimes, but it's never really a problem. We live on a lake a so we use this shack a lot 3 to 5 times a week, as soon as the ice is good.

When I bought the portable, I looked at the sleighs and liked the depth and design of the Frabill. I tow it long distance to remote lakes and it handles all my gear no problem.

IMG_1291 (800x600).jpg

my ex's cousin (who i still fish with) bought this exact model (nanook thermal). i fished in it 6-7 times on simcoe and i was very content with the warmth it held! we ran the heater for the first 10-15 mins, then it was sweater temp for 3-4 hours. only beef with the unit is the weight. if you often fish alone, the this may be a little heavy to pull out by hand. i like my IceCube for these times. 12lbs, light, good for one guy and 2 lines. good luck with whatever you choose! can't wait for ice!!!!

I have fished out of heated huts or just out in the open, I havn't had the chance to try out a Frabil or Clam in real world conditions only sitting in them at BPS, i have seen lots of the blue Clam types and few of the black coloured Frabil shelters out on the lakes last year.

I guess i'll have to head BPS and try them all out again .... weight may be the deciding factor ...

I have a nanook non-thermal.....Its great! I have no complaints about it although Ive had it dripping water.

As mentioned the more heat the more condensation.

My next portable will be a thermal to help prevent the dripping......

You will be very happy with a nanook thermal!

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

looks the the thermal fabric may be worth it , I noticed they have models that just have the cap in thermal fabric , i assume this costs less than the Nanook which is completely thermal, only really need it on the roof where its going to drip anyways ... the Yukon TC looks sweet but too heavy to hand bomb across a lake

Thanks Guys for the info ....

It's not just new production Clams... Winter 2009.. we blew apart just about every bolt Lloyd had in his old one. Thank god I had some similar hardware in the boathouse... We discussed it here after that trip and highly suggested to everyone to replace all the hardware in their huts before heading out and bringing along some spares as well. Nothing worse than being 25 miles down the lake on a gusting 60K day and you can't set your hut up!

Only issue I had with my Frabil was the nytrol nuts actually falling off from towing vibration. Able to steal enough from the seats and such to get by until I could replace them properly.

Anyone that wants a poor mans thermal.. go to the dollar store and get a dozen spring clamps for a few dollars and find an old padded moving blanket. Clamp it on top after set up. Lloyd's gonna kill me for ruining his patent pending on that (lol), but he had his ice "palace" at 30 C last winter when it was -17C outside. Personally I like the hut just warm enough to crack your jacket open.. but Lloyd's you have to strip to your skivvies. Makes it a pain when we yell.. TIME TO MOVE!! :D