Walleye Recipes??

beerman

Ok, I need a little help here. I am heading to cochrane on my annual fly in fishing trip june 1st, and i need your help. Usually when we go, we make the beer batter and grilled walleye fillets. I want to do something different this year, I would like a different walleye recipe for each day we are there. So i need 7 different recipes. On the old message boards, I read about barbeque walleye, with bacon, not sure???? Thanks for the help...

Boneless fillets, dip in egg and then roll into powdered potatoes...with all the seasonings you want. Then fry in oil.

Also try it wrapped in tin foil with butter and all the seasonings.

Maybe even cedar planked. (have not tried this yet but I am this season for sure,, it works well wit salmon)

The one on the BBQ with bacon is great, tried it last year for the first time. I just can't remember now how exactly to do it but some one here will be able to tell you.

First thing that came to my mind too, taper. I got hungry just thinking about it. I'm going to write it down if someone posts it again!

dk

Cut your fillets into strips the width of the bacon. Coat the fish in your favorite seasoning then lay on top of the bacon strip, roll it up, then stick it on a skewer and cook it up over the open flame!

When the bacon is crispy the fish kebab is done!

Enjoy!

Another one for bacon. Cut your filets into chunks and wrap with bacon. Marinate for 30 mins or so in zesty italien dressing, if you're using a BBQ I'd put tinfoil on the grill. cook till bacon is crispy then dip in chicken and rib sauce. Some of the best fish I have ever had.

ATF

The recipe addicted to fishin gave is the one I was talking about with a couple of changes. I like the new Kraft brown sugar BBQ sauce and once the bacon is crisp apply the sauce and leave on barbecue for a couple minutes just to caramelize the sauce. Warning they are addictive.

Here's a recipe for walleye we've used numerous times.

Fold tinfoil (18" wide X 36" long) in half to form square (18 X 18)

Fold another piece of tinfoil exactly the same size

Dice two large vidalia (or some other sweet) onions

Dice two peppers (any colour you prefer)

Mix the diced onion and pepper

Spread a 5/8 inch layer of onion/pepper mixture on tinfoil

Add 4 tablespoons of butter (1 in each quadrant)

Place boneless walleye fillets on top of onion/pepper mixture

Salt and pepper to taste (can add dill too if desired)

Pour remaining onion/pepper mixture over fillets

Can add 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup if mushroom gravy desired

Cover with second piece of tinfoil

Carefully fold all edges of tinfoil at least twice to close

Cook on BBQ at medium high for 20 minutes

I’ve cooked lake trout beside walleye in the same tinfoil package without any difficulties.

We stumbled on this one by accident.

We were fishing on Lingham Lake many years ago, we forgot to leave out bread to make crumbs for our shore lunch. While munching on All dressed potatoe chips, we came up with the idea of crushing up the chips to almost a powder and used them. THE BEST fillets I have ever had! Real simple too.

Scramble 2 eggs thouroughly, dust fillets in flour, dip in egg wash and roll in crumbs. No extra seasoning required!

You want the true flavour of a walleye fillet?

Roll fillet in flour, pan fry in a tblespoon of butter til golden brown, (medium-high heat). Add salt and pepper afterwards. This will not dry the flesh out as much as putting salt on before frying.

Edited by Ron

Another one for bacon. Cut your filets into chunks and wrap with bacon. Marinate for 30 mins or so in zesty italien dressing, if you're using a BBQ I'd put tinfoil on the grill. cook till bacon is crispy then dip in chicken and rib sauce. Some of the best fish I have ever had.

ATF

This one sounds great and I have got to try it at some point. The other walleye/baccon recipes sound good as well, but don't the bacon and dressing overpower the taste of the fish.

I still love Fishcrisp (original and Cajun). I just picked up the Uncle Bucks Original at Bass Pro and can't wait to try it.