Introduction

suds

Hello All,

I discovered this site last fall and have been lurking in the shadows. Since I joined the on line tournament, I thought I should introduce myself.

I have fished all my life, but grew up out west on Vancouver Island. I have only been in Ontario a couple years and am just starting to get more dialled in on the fishing opportunites and locales.

I have always loved salmon fishing, steelheading, and trout fishing. There is a fantastic smallmouth fishery on Vancouver Island as well and almost nobody fishes them.They are a blast to catch!

So far in Ontario, I have added the brown trout, brookies, lake trout, and pike to the all time list, but I have not lucked into a walleye yet. Haven't really tried, but have been on water that hold them. No Muskie either, but I have to do that before I die!

Love to fly-fish and tie my own flies, but also own spinning gear, baitcasters, and an old Hardy Silex for drifting for steelies. Heck if its a worm, hook, and bobber that's getting it done, I'm on it!

Looking forward to the warmer weather, and perhaps I can wet a line with some of you in the future.

suds

Tonyb:

I need to do more local steelheading before I can give you a good answer. ( know any good spots? lol)

I can tell you there are more rivers with more fish in Ontario although the fish seem smaller on average. The rivers are very different; generally smaller with slower current flows. The other big difference is the use of bait. There are only a few rivers out west that still allow bait. I haven't really bothered with it for years, as only the hatchery enhanced systems let you use it. The out of the way spots are all under bait bans, so most steelheaders get comfortable with artificials. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the steelhead fishery here!

Jen:

I was drafted onto team one. Sorry about that....

suds

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Trapshooter,

I grew up in Metchosin, lived for a while at Shawnigan Lake and my father lives in Coombs. I also did "time" at Uvic.

GbayGiant;

I am serious about the steelhead. Salmon is another story however, all 5 Pacific salmon species are available and the fishing is fantastic. Plus, it is year round with the winter spring fishing going on right now.

But the west coast ocean going rainbows are in trouble. Things are OK up north- Bulkley, Skeena, Kispiox etc, but Vancouver Island and the lower mainland area are not good. Besides urban encroachment, habitat loss (logging) and fishing pressure, something is going on out in the ocean affecting their survival. Everyone has an opinion: seals, lack of bait, fish farms, commercial bycatch, but no one really knows for sure. Most stream and rivers on the east coast of Vancouver Island are closed to angling due to low returns.

One man's opinion of course..

Tony, thanks for the invite and I'll gladly take you up on that. Send me an email where and when.

Happy St Patricks!! :)

suds