tampa sunshine skyway fishing pier

pikehunter

I was there a few weeks backs.

Bring jigs, tough line, big hooks and weights. Also, bring some smaller hooks to screw around with the little fish as well, its loads of fun.

Live little fish work best for best and you can get them from the local bait shops. But drty peces of shrimp and squd are good too.

I fished the St. Petersburg peir, the inverted pyramid, and its nice because you've got a cool bar steps away from where you're fishing. Get live fish and fish around the docks for grouper. Catch a little fish, cut it in half, throw on a big leader and weight and cast that sucker out, be ready. Collect some mussells ( they cover the rocks on low tide ) and fish the hard shelled creatures near the peirs posts in the water for sheepshead.

If you have a net, a long one, bring it. Although someone on the per will usually have a gaff of some sorts.

Feed the pelicans small fish, its a riot, watch out for those black birds ( they look lke grackles ), the moment you don't make eye contact with them they steal your bait, it's REALLY frusterating.

Talk with the locals, they'll guide you best.

Have fun and take pictures!

Also, if the fish looks dangerous, it probably is. Remember stingrays have barbs, loads of them around.

Try to fnd some low tide rock area's. They capture creatures at low tide and you can see loads of cool sea life.

I wish I was there right now... if you want a really kick ass tiki bar right on the beach next to a peir, go to Coldwater ( on the north part of the island, 15 minute drve from Tampa ) and I think it's at the back of the Hyatt. You can see it from the Coldwater peir, 100 M north of the base of the peir.

I have only fished off the piers at Clearwater and Redington Beach (near John's Pass) on the Gulf side and both times we rented equipment from the tackle shop on the piers...

I always liked the sign at the Redington Pier..."The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb"

On the Atlantic side we fished a couple of different piers (Daytona and Ft. Lauderdale) several times...

We purchased tackle and rod/reels combos at Wal-Mart that paid for itself after five sessions of not renting...

We were lucky to hook up with "Little Joe" (resident drunk) who took us under his wing and showed us what terminal tackle to purchase...sinker sliders, pyramid sinkers in various sizes depending on the surf, swivels, saltwater hooks. fluorocarbon leader material...

A frozen shrimp ($2 a box on the pier) on a 3 foot leader and you never knew what you might catch (whiting, catfish, redfish, black drum, sea trout etc.)

Some of the locals called us "rookies" and laughed at our little rods (7 ft) but after we started to catch lots of fish they said we weren't "rookies" no more...whistling.gifGonefishing.gif

Best of luck down there...I envy you...rolleyes.gif

Edited by Beans

Fishing the peir is all about tide and timing. If you see the peir gets busy then the locals are on to a bite of some sort. Talk to the guys in the bait shops nearby not at the peir. I always make a stop at Indian shores or at Johns Pass for some shore fishing but I'd much prefer to do a 1/2 day charter on one of the big party boats. Hubbards is at Johns Pass but I have had really good days with Double Eagle out of Clearwater. I took down my muskie tackle and picked up 2-3 oz sinker/bait rigs at the local bait shops. Squid pieces (provided by the boat) will get you bit by the little guys but pick up your own bigger bait like frozen sardines, whole squid/shrimp. Get there early and pick a spot at the back of the boat. Great day on the water and doesn't bust the bank. Nothing like fresh caught snapper and grouper

If you are coming from the north, make sure you fish HoneyMoon Island State Park on your way down. Jig heads with half a shrimp will get you all kinds of things.

There is a sign on the way into the park warning you to shuffle your feet in the sand if you are wading...

I didn't and spent 3 painful hours in a walk-in clinic from a stingray hit just above the ankle...stretcher.gif