Motor winterizing question

Cosmos

Bob, the VRO system is strictly mechanical. Works from crankcase pulses to run the pump. The amount of pulses regulates the flow.

The only sensor(not computer controlled) is if the oil flow stops it turns on a warning buzzer.

Low fuel flow does not increase oil flow.

Just thought you would like to know.

Not according to Fran Brobeil the owner and mechanic at Brobeil Marine in Buffalo. And when I pulled the plugs yesterday they were covered with oil. Either way the system supplies extra oil when the gas runs out.

Bob, You fogged your engine, so you said. so there is oil on your plugs.

The VRO pump is run by pulses from the crank case and will not send extra oil to cylinders as when the engine runs out of fuel the pulses no longer operate the pump.

The VRO setup was a simple way to use oil injection but there are no computer controls on them.

Perhaps he is thinking of the Etec which has a fogging feature built into it. The Etec does have a processor(computer)

Bob, You fogged your engine, so you said. so there is oil on your plugs.

The VRO pump is run by pulses from the crank case and will not send extra oil to cylinders as when the engine runs out of fuel the pulses no longer operate the pump.

The VRO setup was a simple way to use oil injection but there are no computer controls on them.

Perhaps he is thinking of the Etec which has a fogging feature built into it. The Etec does have a processor(computer)

Hey Bernie,

No I didn't yet fog the engine when I pulled the plugs...and they were fouled with oil...I don't do it through the carbs like I am suppose to....pain in the butt taking the plastic shroud off the front of the carb....I just fog it through the spark plug holes and turn the fly wheel by hand....this has been good for my for all the years I have owned this motor and a couple of others, although they were used outboards unlike this one I purchased new.

The engine DEFINITELY adds more oil when the gas runs out...I learned that the hard way YEARS ago when I would be speeding down the lake and one of my tanks would run dry and the motor would sputter for more gas....if I didn't immediately shut down the engine the plugs would get fouled with oil making it much harder to start the motor once I changed over to my other tank.

As someone else said (maybe it was Sinker) we over do it when it comes to these outboards as they will be put back into service in a couple of months anyways....I have a friend that does NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to his two boats and outboards except put them in his pole barn after each use....they start and run like new each time out.....go figure.

Bob

Hey Bernie,

No I didn't yet fog the engine when I pulled the plugs...and they were fouled with oil...I don't do it through the carbs like I am suppose to....pain in the butt taking the plastic shroud off the front of the carb....I just fog it through the spark plug holes and turn the fly wheel by hand....this has been good for my for all the years I have owned this motor and a couple of others, although they were used outboards unlike this one I purchased new.

The engine DEFINITELY adds more oil when the gas runs out...I learned that the hard way YEARS ago when I would be speeding down the lake and one of my tanks would run dry and the motor would sputter for more gas....if I didn't immediately shut down the engine the plugs would get fouled with oil making it much harder to start the motor once I changed over to my other tank.

As someone else said (maybe it was Sinker) we over do it when it comes to these outboards as they will be put back into service in a couple of months anyways....I have a friend that does NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to his two boats and outboards except put them in his pole barn after each use....they start and run like new each time out.....go figure.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Can you tell me if this products are Ok to use for my motor:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/FuelOilStabilizers/PRD~0380903P/Motomaster%252BFuel%252BStabilizer%252B%252526%252BFog%252BOil.jsp?locale=en

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/GreaseGunsOilPans/PRD~0280853P/Marine%252B%252526%252BTrailer%252BGrease.jsp?locale=en

Can you recommend something else???

I personally have these exact products in my shed up north. All my small engines are still running after many years of using the same oil and stabil. I put a bit into everything up there ... even my cereal for breakfast. If you don't use it, your propeller will fall off, or your graphics will peel off the cowling. I'm not exactly sure which one will happen, because I always use it. It's a decent product, and I have no complaints.

Never used those particular products but they are probably the same stuff we get down here, just in a different container....You should be good to and rest well all winter knowing you took care of your fishing machine while you throw on another log onto the fire.

Personally I would have no faith in Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer or for anything else for that matter.....snake oil in a can....probably mostly kerosene in a small can....IMHO save your money on that stuff.

Personally I would have no faith in Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer or for anything else for that matter.....

Well it must be good stuff if you don't like it. :whistling:

Actually you are the first person that I know of that had anything bad to say about it. I use it all the time and I know that it works very well for many intended purposes. I just hadn't used it as a fuel stablizer before, although it claims to be one.

Well it must be good stuff if you don't like it. :whistling:

Actually you are the first person that I know of that had anything bad to say about it. I use it all the time and I know that it works very well for many intended purposes. I just hadn't used it as a fuel stablizer before, although it claims to be one.

HOW do you know it works for ANYTHING.......been a auto mechanic my whole life and I'll bet it doesn't do ANYTHING but lighten you pocket....never used it, never missed, never needed it......you guys think it's a mechanic in a can....next time you pick some up at the auto parts store get a couple of cans of Instant Repair.......GREAT stuff.....just spray it on whatever is broken and Bingo.....it fixed... :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it some days you just feel like going out and turning up the wind a more knots across Lake Huron, stir up some real nasty snow streamers and point them at Lancaster, NY.

Someone beat you to it on Wednesday. And I stand by my mechanic in a can Bull.

Just added a J-57 with afterburner to power the fan, now to get the correct reading on the map and I'm going to wind her up, we got about 12-14 inches last night and still snowing.. :devil:

I getting to hate you Fisherman....LOL

We are suppose to get another 3-5" through out the day.....HOWEVER, we already have more than that....last week 42 inches and now this white puke is adding to it.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I getting to hate you Fisherman....LOL

We are suppose to get another 3-5" through out the day.....HOWEVER, we already have more than that....last week 42 inches and now this white puke is adding to it.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ba hahahahahahaha...and I'm adding a full can of SEAFOAM to the fuel for the fan motor...still snowing. :rofl2:

If you keep wasting your hard earned money on Seafoam it wouldn't be long before you run out of loonies :whistling: ...... maybe then it will stop snowing...

No such luck, I have a outpouring of sympathy and have had numerous Wells Fargo trucks stop at my door to donate their daily pick ups just to keeps the SEAFOAM flowing, the engine howling and the snow flying south. You can say "uncle" any time now.. :rofl2: