Sauger and walleye report

Rod Caster

I spent the afternoon fishing while everyone else I know was hunting or building ice shacks. I still haven't gotten the hunting itch like some outdoorsmen get this time of year so having an "open all year" river nearby is a real treat. It was a nice day weatherwise, my Dad spent about an hour with me until he took to the bush for deer and the river bank was devoid of people.

It took me a while to figure out what the best method of fishing was... dropping 1oz bell sinkers was a headache in the rocks. A rubber/maribou jig with gold head worked for the walleye and a chartreuse jig head with clear/white mister twister got me the sauger. I managed to catch two and missed three.

It was my FIRST SAUGER, so it was nice to hit milestone...i know you guys understand thatcool.gif Notice the difference in color pattern on the skin and fins. Very neat fish. Enjoy the pics and I'll enjoy the dinner.

walleyensauger2.jpg

walleynsauger.jpg

sauger.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

If a sauger got the size of a big walleye i'd be scared of it. I've caught lots and let me tell you they have very strong jaws when they clamp down look out. A sauger compresses and flattens it's head when you try and take the jig out, I'm surprised they don't bite the hook in half. Nice catch :)

Great report and pics Rod Caster :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats on the milestone :clapping:

mercman aka Paul.... saugers are in the same family as walleyes, just smaller in size and with different markings, copper colored & taste just as good ;):)

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

If a sauger got the size of a big walleye i'd be scared of it. I've caught lots and let me tell you they have very strong jaws when they clamp down look out. A sauger compresses and flattens it's head when you try and take the jig out, I'm surprised they don't bite the hook in half. Nice catch smile.gif

The head is definitly more compressed compared to the Walleye's. Reminds me of a bottom feeder style head rather than an esox type. thanks for the tip on the jaws! I'll watch my fingers around them.

Merc: as Leechman said, Sauger is in the Walleye familly but is a seperate species. There are aggregate limits for the walleye and sauger in the regs.

Simon (Limey): Love fishing indeed! Hunters can stay in the bush and leave the banks open for me anyday.thumbsup_anim.gif Actually I'll get into hunting in the next year or so and join my bro and dad. I'm not licensed to hunt nor do I own a gun...so for now my weapon of choice is a 6'6" spear of sorts.

NipFish: I almost called you to join me on the Ottawa Saturday, but my dad took the trip out with me so I wasn't totally alone...plus it's a long drive for a spur of the moment decision.

The Ottawa remains open for months into winter so we should have an opportunity to get out there...or...how do you feel about Rainbows through the ice???whistling.gif

Another good way of telling them apart is that walleye have a white tip on the lower part of their tail (caudal) fin while sauger don't. You can kind of see this in first photo and then notice that the sauger in the other two doesn't have this marking.

Jon