Scent Control while Hunting

Billy Bob

I dont use any scent blocking clothes but i do wash ALL my clothes in scent removal soap and then store them in a RubberMaid container with some pine bows.

I also use a homemade scent elimantor spray for daily applications to my boots and clothes.

I have had multiple deer 6 different times less then 20 yards downwind from me this year and havnt been scented yet.

I've been sittin in a tree stand smoking a cigar and could have killed a few of them by jumping out of the tree with a knife. We are just covered in deer around here. I will trade y'all 5 deer for 1 moose....

Art

Yer 1/3 less then the going rate Art.LOL

Myself,my hunting cloths are in a bag with ceder bows like bucktail. Heads covered with a scent lok drape. I have harvested 2 deer that have walked in right after smoking a cig. I dont know what it,s about human scent scaring them off,but all others make them want to investigate. Farmers in thier tractors plowing fields, have them standing out on the edge of the field watching them. Chains saws cutting wood seem to be no bother as well. My pop was splitting wood and looked up and seen two of them just watching him (thinking to them selves,crazy bugger must be related to Brian LOL).My closed harvest was at 8 yards.Walked right to me.Yep,just put out a smoke.IMO it,s the movement that is the biggest alert sign. Thats why when I set up in an area,I make it so I see them first, before they see me. You dont need to be in a stand to hide from them. Take this weekend at Waynes (irishfields place). I found a nice low area with a downed tree that had good cover and light winds in my favor. There was good interference of small brush and small trees with leaves on them still on both the right, and left side,aswell from behind me and the gully that was in front of me. as you can from the pics. In between, was a nice shot opening.

Sitting looking to my left.

20101105_01.jpg

My right.

20101105_03.jpg

Covered by a huge tree trunk if they came from behind me over a ridge.

20101105_04.jpg

The clear shot between the covered areas.Also, if the game came up from the gully,it still would not of smelt or seen me,before it was to late.MAX 60 YARD SHOT with the bow.

20101105_02.jpg

The deer use the wind to thier advantage yes,but during the rut season,the wind means nothing IMO.A buck wants just one thing.

Thanks for the post BillyBob

I know that spot!!! lol... and many times while cutting firewood in the fall, I've had a doe or two scare the crap out of me.. turn around to set the saw down and almost wap her in the nose. Same deal with the backhoe running.. the noise brings them right in and they'll be standing right there staring up into the cab.

Had three does come out the other day could have poked them with the cross bow no kidding sitting under a small alder with a bit of tall grass for minimal cover right in the middle of the run no scent control dont believe in it. Deer are not smart.

oh yeah in case your wondering forgot to put in for a doe tag,missed the shottie too.......LIFE

Peter

To many trees Brain get out on the edges jmo

Had three does come out the other day could have poked them with the cross bow no kidding sitting under a small alder with a bit of tall grass for minimal cover right in the middle of the run no scent control dont believe in it. Deer are not smart.

oh yeah in case your wondering forgot to put in for a doe tag,missed the shottie too.......LIFE

Peter

To many trees Brain get out on the edges jmo

And you are quoted here saying deer are not smart......how's that doe tag thing going.... :tease:

Whitetail are one of the smartest big game animals on North America you can hunt....young does may not be the best of the best but the BIG BOYS are.... :whistling:

Bob