Buck and 2R's in the desert part one...

Garry2Rs

Greetings to all my semi-frozen friends!

I hope that the Fall Season is kind to you and that the big ones are biting "up north."

A good friend told me that he was knocking the socks off of Muskies by trolling on Stony this last week.

Good luck to all of you "cold water" fishers.

Buck and I are safely tucked away in our winter home in Arizona.

BigBuck.jpg

101_0001.jpg

It is still in the mid-80's down here and the heavy weeds make the fishing quite tough.

Senko's cast over weed beds that come 2 - 3 feet from the surface, in about 8 feet of water, seem to be the ticket.

These spots are hard to find, without disturbing them, so a lot of what we did today was research for later dates...

I guess the cooler, by comparison nights, that we are now having are starting to kill the Shad. The hot set-up seems to be to let a worm sink, onto a clump of weeds, then pop it hard to make it jump-up, before settling again...With no deep water, this can draw strikes from the sluggish late summer fish.

Personally, I am looking forward to the first few really "cold" nights that will knock the shallowest weeds down. This will open more of the water and signal the start of the rattle-bait season.

This year I have acquired an old tri-hull bass boat that I plan to leave down here. No more towing the Ranger cross country twice a year...

100_0265.jpg

This boat is 15.5 feet and dates from the early 80's. The design is only really suitable for smaller waters, but it will do the job down here nicely.

It's funny in a way, this summer my 18.5 Ranger was starting to feel quite small. I guess I have that bass-boat disease called foot-itess...You know...Life would be perfect if only the boat was a foot longer and had another 50HP...grin.

I can tell you that it only took a couple of minutes to realize that the Ranger is a virtual aircraft carrier compared to this rig...hahaha.

May16-Chandos-41.jpg

Today we got the new-old boat in the water for a shake-down cruise on the Colorado River system. We only spent a couple of hours out in the heat.

Buck had a couple of swims, and I caught one bass. It was a skinny 15 inch specimen that hit a pink generic Senko worm.

001-6.jpg

Later we had an extended chat with a guy from San Diego who is fishing a three day tournament that starts tomorrow.

He gifted us with a package of custom poured Senko's in a special Shad pattern. These baits are from a California tackle shop and aren't even available on the Yamamoto web site. They are custom made for this shop and are supposed to be deadly...

We were on our way home when we received this gift, so we will have to let you know how they workout.

Tight-Lines...

Garry2R's

We are experiencing our first serious snowfall in the Kawarthas at present...it is melting as soon as it lands but if it keeps up, who knows, they are calling for colder temps later today...so enjoy your warm temps and soft water fishing...and keep the reports comingGonefishing.gif

yipes...I thought the title was "Buck and 2R's in the dessert"...was afraid by opening this I'd find pictures of Garry wrestling some big buff guy named Buck in jello...like a car wreck, just had to look. Enjoy your time down south and stay out of the jello (or at least don't take pictures)