is there a good DSLR for under $500?

GBW

Hey all.

My wife would like me to get a new digital SLR camera. Is there a good one out there sub $500? I know I'm not going to use it a whole lot as I don't use what I have now, lol. So I don't want to spend more then $500. Any ideas and places to purchase in the GTA? Thanks.

Geoff

I bought my first DSLR a couple of years ago for under $400.00. That price included two lenses. It was an Olympus E-410. Olympus is kind of the black sheep of the DSLR family. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. I'll list a few of each.

Advantages.

Cost. Some of the cheapest DSLR's on the market.

Size. Definately the smallest DSLR. This is because of their 4/3rds format which means it has a small sensor. 12 mp is the max that they will go. If you want to sell your photos to National Geographic, you'll need a full frame camera. If you want to make 20" x 30" enlargements, 12 mp will be just fine.

Dust on the sensor. What's that?? Olympus has the best dust reduction system on the market bar none. In fact dust is a non issue. And dust can be a big problem with DSLR's.

Excellent glass. Even Olympus cheapest lenses are highly rated and cheap. Move up to the HQ (high quality) glass and you'll be blown away. Lens quality and prices are something that you'll be concerned about when stepping up to a DSLR.

In body image stabilization. No need to pay a premium for IS lenses. The IS on the Olympus system is in body on most and all newer models.

Probably the best jpeg reproduction available. There's really no need to shoot RAW. Oly's jpeg engine is top of the line.

Color reproduction. Again, Oly is #1.

Focal length. Because of Oly's 4/3rds sensor, focal length is doubled. My 70-300mm lens is equivilent to 140-600mm by film standards. Have you priced a Canon or Nikon 600mm lens?

Disadvantages.

Poor high ISO noise. The full frame big boys rule here.

You'll be looked down upon by Canikon users. They rule. You don't want to be seen with an Olympus neck strap wrapped around you.

I posted this photo on here before. Taken with my Oly E-620 (I've since upgraded from my E-410) and 70-300mm ( a $300.00 lens) at full 300mm. You can practically count the eyelashes on this guy.

moose1.jpg

Bottom line here is that you don't need the best and most expensive camera out there to make good photos. Any camera can take good pictures. It's up to the user.

I too use the Olympus. It was a good deal..untill I started in buying the lenses and all the rest of the grar. Like a bag uv filtres for all lenses and a cleaning kit. Otherwise an awesome camera.. comes highly recomended for the value. If your planing on using the camera indoors with the flash on id recomend a light defuser. I bought the Gary Phong puffer. $19 bucks

Edited by tb4me

Also an E-620 user myself since Sept of 09 ... (Dan i think you are the only person I know that uses the E-620 other than people on Olympus DSLR forums)

I think Dan's got most of it covered. One thing I'd add though, I wish the viewfinder is a bit bigger (Canikon wins this one for sure), but other than that I'm quite happy with it.

Also an E-620 user myself since Sept of 09 ... (Dan i think you are the only person I know that uses the E-620 other than people on Olympus DSLR forums)

I think Dan's got most of it covered. One thing I'd add though, I wish the viewfinder is a bit bigger (Canikon wins this one for sure), but other than that I'm quite happy with it.

Wow Victor. You actually admit that you use Olympus?? I thought that I was the only user on the planet. :thumbsup_anim:

After looking My oly is a e520 a real nice camera and as I said earler it comes highly recomended by yours truely! Has anyone played with the face tracking software? if your subject moves whie in a pose the lens auto ajusts to where the subject moves to. I thought that was really cool. We use that for shooting the dogs, perfect picture every time

All my wife is after is a lot of zoom and good quality pic's. She thinks a SLR for $500. will give her this but I think something like the Nikon COOLPIX P100 can get her what she want's for less cash. Thoughts?

All my wife is after is a lot of zoom and good quality pic's. She thinks a SLR for $500. will give her this but I think something like the Nikon COOLPIX P100 can get her what she want's for less cash. Thoughts?

She won't get hardly any zoom with a DSLR kit lens...

One thing I've learned is that you can easily spend more on glass then you will on the body :)

She won't get hardly any zoom with a DSLR kit lens...

One thing I've learned is that you can easily spend more on glass then you will on the body :)