Applying for a pardon

Big Cliff

A friend of mine was charged with uttering threats about 14 years ago. At the time she didn't think much of it and just pleaded guilty because she was told she would get a suspended sentence which she did.

She has just applied for a job that required a police check and wouldn't you know it, it showed up on her record.

My understanding is that she can apply for a pardon and if granted, her record will be clean, am I correct?

If she applies for a pardon, what is involved? She doesn't have a lot of money, how long does it take and how much does it cost?

Any help would be much appreciated especially from anyone who can give me some facts or tell me how she has to go about it!

Thanks

big Cliff

She will need to go to any and all Police Depts in areas she has resided over the past x number of years to get a letter saying she has kept her nose clean. There is a fee (I don't recall exact $$) but it is in the hundreds of dollars range and the wait time once all that is done is well over 6 months. There is propably more I am missing

keep in mind canadianpardons.ca is a private company that does the work for you and will cost extra than doing it yourself.

some other details I remembered in addition to the local police check(s) (for which you have to pay), there is fingerprinting ($$$), and applying to the parole board ($$$). it is not inexpensive once all is said and done.

VERY IMPORTANT:

Tell your friend NOT TO CROSS IN to the USA until AFTER she gets the Canadian Pardon.

A friend of mine made that mistake from a pot charge he had from 19 years ago.

He now has the Canadian pardon and is going through the American re-entry process now...So far, two years and persona non grada for the USA.

:(

http://www.assuredpardons.com/canadian_pardon_details.php?_kk=%2Bpardon&_kt=3af530de-71eb-45df-a7aa-d9376e445cbe&gclid=CJ7g3MichaQCFRD75wodlnD1HQ

I used these people ( stupid things when we are younger ), they where the cheapest and did exactly what they said they would do. You are looking at a min. of 8 months to get it done right now. The only other thing you need to pay for is your prints.

My brother was told by the instructer from his back on track program (for DUI) that all you have to do is go get the form from the Police station fill it all out and send it in with the fee enclosed which is very cheap I think he said $35 and wait it takes alot longer than paying some one to fast track it (which is all the private comp's do ) and they approve anyone that doesn't have violent offences I am going to try this method first (also was a dumbazz when I was younger ) can't hurt to try .

My brother was told by the instructer from his back on track program (for DUI) that all you have to do is go get the form from the Police station fill it all out and send it in with the fee enclosed which is very cheap I think he said $35 and wait it takes alot longer than paying some one to fast track it (which is all the private comp's do ) and they approve anyone that doesn't have violent offences I am going to try this method first (also was a dumbazz when I was younger ) can't hurt to try .

It cost more than $35 to do this.

$70 to do your finger prints ( must do )

$45 and up to get court record (must do )

and you need to send a fee to process the paperwork, can't remember how much.

Thank you one and all, I have now printed off the instructions and the application (the fee to apply is $50.00). I never thought about the John Howard Society, just so happens I know someone there in a senior position, I am going to send her an email this morning.

In the short term my young friend has decided to just be up front and honest with her perspective employer and hope they understand that when you are young you sometimes say things you probably shoulden't say. It was 14 years ago and she hasn't been in trouble since.

In the short term my young friend has decided to just be up front and honest with her perspective employer and hope they understand that when you are young you sometimes say things you probably shoulden't say. It was 14 years ago and she hasn't been in trouble since.

This alone should go a long way with the perspective employer - showing complete honesty and integrity up front. Wish her all the best.

This alone should go a long way with the perspective employer - showing complete honesty and integrity up front. Wish her all the best.

I still do background checks....

The only one I didn't do, cost me a business and it was based on the guy's "honesty". The first question the police asked me when they called me about the situation was if I did background checks on EVERYONE. They then informally suggested that if i was ever gonna do one on a guy, this would have been the guy i should have :wallbash:

My role in this: do background checks on EVERYBODY before hiring them.

PS:And I am NOT SAYING that the person referred to in the original posters thread is not honest.

Guest Johnny Bass

This John Howard Society, sounds pretty good. Do not go to these private pardon places. They are all scammers. Go to a lawyer and pay whatever extra it costs. I know people that have paid close to $2000 to get it done fast(6-8 months). Only to have waited 2 and 1/2 years! When he could have paid $600 to have it done by another place for the same period. Their guarantee of 6-8 months is an estimate(there excuse), when in eventuality, it is more like minimum 12 months.I have another friend that has been waiting over 2 years and the paralegal goof is giving her the run around. Lots of people preying on other folks trying to turn their life around. Get a real lawyer, but do not go to these pardon people. They are crooks, that steal and know the law, and use it to defraud you.

^

agreed. a friend of mine has applied for a pardon for a conviction from a few years ago.

the legal process is not quick. it usually takes over a year minimum.

if people are telling you they can get it done in a few months for X amount of cash, they are scamming you.

tell your friend to go to a real lawyer.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

until your friend gets the pardon, it will be difficult to get a decent job so the sooner he/she gets it the better.

most job applications where background checks are required will say:

Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense under the criminal code for which a pardon has NOT been granted?

yes or no.

if someone has a conviction without the pardon, they can pretty much kiss that job good bye.

usually, this is where the application gets automatically rejected.

Edited by 12 Volt Man