Ductless Air Conditioning, definately not fishing

lookinforwalleye

Okay so the new house we moved into recently has electric BB heating and that equals $$$ and no air conditioning. So I have contacted a couple of contractors about ductless systems that cool the air and also operate as a heat pump to help offset the EBB costs.

I was quoted 8,300 dollars I almost fainted, keep in mind my house is very small the same system in the good ole US of A would cost about half that, now given where the Canadian dollar sits I think double the price is criminal.

I`d buy the system in the States if I can find somebody to install it.

If there are any HVAC guys on the board contact me maybe we can do some business!

Okay so the new house we moved into recently has electric BB heating and that equals $$$ and no air conditioning. So I have contacted a couple of contractors about ductless systems that cool the air and also operate as a heat pump to help offset the EBB costs.

I was quoted 8,300 dollars I almost fainted, keep in mind my house is very small the same system in the good ole US of A would cost about half that, now given where the Canadian dollar sits I think double the price is criminal.

If there are any HVAC guys on the board contact me maybe we can do some business!

lets talk btu.heat pump or straight a/c. dont forget under minus 10 or so, some heat pumps lose efficiency. and they run on 220 volts so may not be mucch of a savings in the heating dept.

PM me later in the day when i get to work and i will quote you on the purchase of a unit. installation will be up to you.

I had a ductless A/C system installed in my old home, about 7 years ago.

If I recall correctly, total price was in the $2,500.00 range. My house was also quite small, about 800 sq ft.

The unit did a reasonable job of cooling the house, did a good job of cooling the upstairs, where the bedrooms were.

I don't know if you're looking at that price based on it also acting as a heat pump as mine did not have that ability.

If air con is all you really need, I can't see why that price is so high!

HH

It pays to shop around for AC, I put a new one this summer first quote $4000, I ended up getting an idependant guy recomended to me.The final cost was $1800 cash installed.

NEVER FORGET, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

there are literally 100,s of makes out there.some good some crap.Service techs and installers all take a cut on the machine plus thier installation charges.You may have paid less than 4000, but id be surprised if you got a 'DEAL'.

NEVER FORGET, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

there are literally 100,s of makes out there.some good some crap.Service techs and installers all take a cut on the machine plus thier installation charges.You may have paid less than 4000, but id be surprised if you got a 'DEAL'.

The guy that installed it is retired from one of the big heating/air companies, he lives around the corner from me,I know he made some $$$$ he dosn't work for free,but it was not even near the chunk of $$$ other companies gouge you for.Like he said every one wants a chunk thats how a $1000 air conditioner gets to $4000. He even fixed the air in my cheerokee, dealer quote $800 his fix a new switch $60 and he charged it for free. Your right you get what you pay for, I paid for cold air and I was nice and comfortable all summer.

Need some more information to know if you were quoted a fair price,

Duct less systems can be quite expensive depending on the make, complexity of installation (power supply, condensate drains etc) number of evaporator coils and their locations (specially in a multi story application),

Generally speaking, heat pumps are not a good choice below -10*C, simply because there is not much heat to be transferred from the outside at those kind of temperatures AND the compressor still has to run in heating mode.

If you have a single story house and the basement is not finished, it is much better to go with a gas fired forced air furnace/A.C system. it might not be cheaper for the initial install(with duct work etc) but it'll pay for itself in a long run with lower operating costs and a lot better efficiency.

BTW: Do your home work in regards to what documents/permits you may need to bring an air conditioning system(containing refrigerant) from USA, if you decide to go that route.

the same system in the good ole US of A would cost about half that, now given where the Canadian dollar sits I think double the price is criminal.

I don't know about other states but in NYS you have to be a license contractor to purchase a whole house heating/AC system.......sorry to break that news to you...and I agree......NOT FAIR.

If I ran my baseboards I would be in the poorhouse and frozen at that. Would love to find a better alternative than wood, but the prices are through the roof for furnaces. I agree with whoever said that everyone wants a cut.

I looked into putting in an oil fired hot water taken and running a header from that to supply hot water heat to the rooms. After months of chasing anyone to come out and give a quote, I nearly fell off my chair when they finally gave me a quote and that was just for the hot water tank and installation.

i nstalled a propane fireplace last fall and didnt even use my baseboards all winter.Cost me 600 bucks to heat with the propane.woulda been alot more with the baseboards.Plus i have a 57 in flat screen that heats my livingroom up just fineclapping.gif

i nstalled a propane fireplace last fall and didnt even use my baseboards all winter.Cost me 600 bucks to heat with the propane.woulda been alot more with the baseboards.Plus i have a 57 in flat screen that heats my livingroom up just fineclapping.gif

I have a gas line I should look into a gas stove for the living room it would probably heat the whole house.

I have a gas line I should look into a gas stove for the living room it would probably heat the whole house.

its great.all the beauty of a fireplace without the dirt and loss of heat up the flue

i have a remote thermostat i bring it where i want,set the temp, and thats it.flame and fan speed are all controlled auto.and it the fireplace works even when the power goes out.good investmentclapping.gif

The guy that installed it is retired from one of the big heating/air companies, he lives around the corner from me,I know he made some $$$$ he dosn't work for free,but it was not even near the chunk of $$$ other companies gouge you for.Like he said every one wants a chunk thats how a $1000 air conditioner gets to $4000. He even fixed the air in my cheerokee, dealer quote $800 his fix a new switch $60 and he charged it for free. Your right you get what you pay for, I paid for cold air and I was nice and comfortable all summer.

you might be right im not into the business of heating and pluming not looking for a pissing match but just want to say the guy thats retired can do it for nothing and it great you were able to uses his services However lets remember someone helped to pay for him to have the knowlage to do such work

as a copmany they need workers the workers need to be skilled and trained insured benefits sick pay (lol not me) ECT ECT ECT.

Im not saying prices are not high but would you work for a different price if you boss asked you to hell no everyone wants a cut

Next time the retired guy does work for you pay his office expence, workrs expence, ministry of labour, training,extra corses, hoilday pay, tools, insurance,ect ect ect

and please tell me if it was close to that 800 price.

Im new here and sorry if i got anyone mad it just seem everyone want a "CUT" but as soon as it someone else looking for a pice of the cut it something is wrong we all look for deals and that the great thing about looking around for different prices however we must compair price to the same thing

you might be right im not into the business of heating and pluming not looking for a pissing match but just want to say the guy thats retired can do it for nothing and it great you were able to uses his services However lets remember someone helped to pay for him to have the knowlage to do such work

as a copmany they need workers the workers need to be skilled and trained insured benefits sick pay (lol not me) ECT ECT ECT.

Im not saying prices are not high but would you work for a different price if you boss asked you to hell no everyone wants a cut

Next time the retired guy does work for you pay his office expence, workrs expence, ministry of labour, training,extra corses, hoilday pay, tools, insurance,ect ect ect

Im new here and sorry if i got anyone mad it just seem everyone want a "CUT" but as soon as it someone else looking for a pice of the cut it something is wrong we all look for deals and that the great thing about looking around for different prices however we must compair price to the same thing

I would never deny any business a profit but twice the price is gouging.

i own a refrigeration and appliance parts bussiness and trust me when i say.shop around, but get the job done by a pro.Pro's garantee the work they do.and gouging happens all the time.If the guy has had a slow day, his next customer will definately pay for the techs slow day.Not to mention that Mr Retired has been out of the loop too long and is not uptodate with todays electronic controls and refrigerant usage and recuperation laws.On older equipment he could probably charge a system by eye, but with the newer gases its not as simple.one mistake and blown compressor later not covered by the manufacturers garantee and anything you"save" is gone down the toilet.

you sound like a tech, and everything you said is absolutely correct.

Hey mercman are you into residential refrigeration or commercial/industrial?

i only sell units and parts.not service.My customers are the techs who do the work and retail who like to DIY

residential

Edited by mercman

Hope you get the equipment and installation at a price to your liking,

You’re right about gouging, it happens every where, that’s why it pays to be an informed consumer.

Just remember though, there are no cheap good tradesmen in real life, a qualified person who is good at what they do deserves to make a decent living like any one else.

You can buy the best equipment available, but it will not last long if it is not installed properly, specially when it comes to refrigeration/air conditioning, there are NO short cuts in this trade, , it will always come back to haunt you, ALWAYS!!

Take roofing for an example, 25 or 30 year rated shingles mean squat if they’re not installed properly,

There are tricks to every trade, rules, regulations and procedures to follow for a good reason,

sure you can get it done cheaper, but beware of some fly-by-night artists, you’ll never find them when your equipment breaks down after a few months.

Not getting in to a pissing match or trying to stir the pot, just expressing my opinion as a tradesman.

Good Luck.

Hope you get the equipment and installation at a price to your liking,

You're right about gouging, it happens every where, that's why it pays to be an informed consumer.

Just remember though, there are no cheap good tradesmen in real life, a qualified person who is good at what they do deserves to make a decent living like any one else.

You can buy the best equipment available, but it will not last long if it is not installed properly, specially when it comes to refrigeration/air conditioning, there are NO short cuts in this trade, , it will always come back to haunt you, ALWAYS!!

Take roofing for an example, 25 or 30 year rated shingles mean squat if they're not installed properly,

There are tricks to every trade, rules, regulations and procedures to follow for a good reason,

sure you can get it done cheaper, but beware of some fly-by-night artists, you'll never find them when your equipment breaks down after a few months.

Not getting in to a pissing match or trying to stir the pot, just expressing my opinion as a tradesman.

Good Luck.

well said and 100% correct. i tell my customers that every day.I sell something you can touch and see,they sell something intangible.they sell thier experience and knowledge. A lot harder to do.