Kayak fishing experience

Bluegill

ChrisK, thanks a lot, you are very fast :)

How long and wide is your kayak? I can see a large cockpit, do you use fishfinder?

Btw: I ordered this kayak for the next season:

Perception Impulse 10.0

Thats a nice little yak for sure. Great price too !!

Mine is a 12ft Pelican I purchased from Canadian Tire on sale for $300. Its there Pelican 120 Angler I believe. Comes outfitted with a rod holder and some other stuff. Check out the link. I'm 5'11" and weight aprox 245 pounds and it keeps me high and dry. They are great if your not planning on travelling on the water to far....Other than that I don't use any electronics on board. I'm a back to the basics type of guy..

I can see on your pictures that you use a rod holder in front of you.

Do you also use the rod holder in the back that comes with the kayak? Happy with it?

The kayak I ordered is not a "fishing kayak", I have to add rod holders and other toys...

Not so much the one in the back. I usually only take out the one rod on the ponds when I go for bass. I'm pretty happy with the yak too.

Like ChrisK I started out with a Canadian tire special 6 years ago for $279. I have since demo paddled and rented at least 10 different kinds before making my decision on a replacement. I went with a Native Watercraft Ultimate Tegris 12 that weighs only 30lbs. It's not cheap but in the kayak world you can have light or you can have cheap, you can't have both. Here is my best fish of the 2010 season (so far).

25_5grwaly.jpg

It was 25.5" long and was caught in the Grand river in Kitchener.

Here is my largest yak caught fish ever.

musky40.jpg

It was 43" long and was caught in Pigeon lake in August of 2008. (I was fishing out of one of the aforementioned rental yaks, a Necky Manitou Sport).

ff_rh.jpg

I use a fishfinder and attach my rod holder to my shoe so I can keep it up front out of the way for paddling but then bend my knee to bring it back within reach when a fish hits.

There is an Ontario kayak fishing forum with many members that will help you with rigging ideas, launch spots and any questions that a newbie yakfisher might have. No judgemental attitudes, just good people on the cutting edge of the fastest growing segment in fishing. It's called Yakfisher.net and they regularly hook up to fish for fun and even ran a very successful 3 part tournament series this year. The best part is only members can view the reports section so lurkers can't get info on where the fish are biting.

There is a link under my one-eyed green friend below.

Is there anybody here who fishes from a kayak?

I plan to fish from a kayak for brooks and lakers the next year.

Would like to read about your experience.

If you can, try and look up my past posts. Pretty much all I talked about last time I was on here was my new Hobie Pro Angler. VERY fun yak.

I posted a bunch of pics and told a bunch of descriptions of it.

Check it out!!

Yak fishin has been my favourite way to go yet. If you're one that likes to get out and away from it all and enjoy the peace and quiet and tranquility by yourself then this is the way to go.

Lemme know how it goes!

Later

May 2010 when I was picked up to go on our annual Shining Tree fishing trip my friend had 2 kayaks along with the rest of his gear.He decided to buy them the day before because his brother in laws kids enjoyed playing with them and he thought his grand kids would too AND they might work well on the small lakes we go to for specs and splake.I knew neither of the other two guys who go with us would EVER get in a kayak(non-swimmers) and I told my buddy he was crazy if he expected this 56 year old body to try fishing in one.

Our first morning we went to a spec lake,with 2 kayaks-although there was no way the second yak was going to be unloaded, I had my PFD only because I was sure I'd have to rescue my friend from my shoreline fishing spot.Amazingly no rescue was necessary!

After his successful venture the next day I did try the yak-it was great!

I've fished since I was a kid and can't remember enjoying catching a fish more.The biggest splake I caught was around 3 pounds and it was quite an experience fighting a fish that was towing you around the lake, the smaller ones would too!

We carried them easily into the back lakes-not huge portages,about 1/2 km the longest.

He said he paid $399 for his Pelican at Costco,complete with paddles and a tie down kit for traveling,not the lightest or most high tech but they worked well for us old guys.

Myself;I convinced my wife we needed one to use at our trailer for exercise and relaxation,I bought a Future Beach 10' for $349 at Sears(kayak only)-so next year I'll have my own and one of the non-swimmers is leaning towards going out in one...lol

We know the models we have are beginner-intermediate quality craft but we had a blast and feel they'll do everything we need them too;they aren't fishing models but performed well for us and I think I'd rather customize mine to suit my needs than pay a premium for a "fishing model".

We know the models we have are beginner-intermediate quality craft but we had a blast and feel they'll do everything we need them too;they aren't fishing models but performed well for us and I think I'd rather customize mine to suit my needs than pay a premium for a "fishing model".

Tnx to justwannafish and the spirit of fishing

My wife is a passionate sea kayaker.

Whenever I tried her kayak I felt uncomfortable because I found it very tippy.

Then I tried the 10 foot Perception Prodigy and was very surprised how stable it felt and how easy to paddle.

After this test paddle I ordered the similar "Perception Impulse".

I also know that this thing is a beginner kayak. I will rig it up to my needs and just can't wait for delivery.

Btw: Here in our area we have very nice Splake too, I know what you mean "spirit of fishing" :good:

• 1 month later...

I've gotta couple of questions for those that runn kayaks.

So how do you guys find fishing from a kayak. can you reach everything that is behind you okay?. I'm running a canoe right now but would like to get into kayak fishing. How does fishing from a yak compare to a canoe, do you have to be more careful in a yak?......

Jediangler- I really like that 43" muskie you caught, how diffficult was it to get it up into the yak?

..Dave

OK this is going to be a long winter, I owned a white water kayak years ago but never fished out of it, this year I was offered to go with one of the local guys but didn't really think about it, I own 2 Canoes & 2 Boats that don't get used enough, but I can see I'll be looking into this Yak fishing next year, definitely lots of water loaded with fish in this area, I believe I could end up being a safety boat for a couple of Yak's fishing early season Pike fishing in Lake Huron next March

Richard

Like ChrisK I started out with a Canadian tire special 6 years ago for $279. I have since demo paddled and rented at least 10 different kinds before making my decision on a replacement. I went with a Native Watercraft Ultimate Tegris 12 that weighs only 30lbs. It's not cheap but in the kayak world you can have light or you can have cheap, you can't have both. Here is my best fish of the 2010 season (so far).

25_5grwaly.jpg

It was 25.5" long and was caught in the Grand river in Kitchener.

Here is my largest yak caught fish ever.

musky40.jpg

It was 43" long and was caught in Pigeon lake in August of 2008. (I was fishing out of one of the aforementioned rental yaks, a Necky Manitou Sport).

ff_rh.jpg

I use a fishfinder and attach my rod holder to my shoe so I can keep it up front out of the way for paddling but then bend my knee to bring it back within reach when a fish hits.

There is an Ontario kayak fishing forum with many members that will help you with rigging ideas, launch spots and any questions that a newbie yakfisher might have. No judgemental attitudes, just good people on the cutting edge of the fastest growing segment in fishing. It's called Yakfisher.net and they regularly hook up to fish for fun and even ran a very successful 3 part tournament series this year. The best part is only members can view the reports section so lurkers can't get info on where the fish are biting.

There is a link under my one-eyed green friend below.

Hey Jediangler. There are pickeral in the Grand in KW? I know there are lots in brantford right down to erie. My understanding is there was not much up that way. Please inform me differently.

Some nice fish you got there.

Chad

If it is brookies and lakers you will need some sensitivity because a bit of line will be out and the take is not always strong. I fish browns and bows.

IMGP0715.jpg

IMGP0719.jpg

The downfall of normal yak fishing is that the rod isn't in your hands unless you are still fishing.

IMGP0314-1.jpg

The hobbie inflatable allows you to move with foot power so you can hold the rod in your hands. I feel the hits and know a fish hit from weed by feel. The inflatable does not the have the speed of a regular kayak nor would I take it out in cold water if waves or very strong wind was an issue. There are trade offs with everything.

Edited by scuro2