Bull Trout Beauties

Jet

Adding a new species to the fishing resume is always an exciting endeavor, however in my last handful of trips, attempting to add the elusive Bull Trout to my list have proven fruitless.

I recently moved to Kimberley, BC and have been busy building my new business here working 15 hour days. That means despite being surrounded by some of the most pristine waters, I have had little time to devote to fishing.

Today I freed up a few hours and set out on yet another attempt to catch my first Bully, Destination: Kootenay River - an absolutely beautiful blue river unlike any I've ever fished before.

Upon arrival I was greeted by this spectacular scenery.

bull6.jpg

bull2.jpg

In the background you can see the Rocky Mountains.

bull5.jpg

After about 2 hours of nothing standing in the freezing cold water, I was about to call it a day when I decided to switch up baits and within a few drifts I hooked into something. I couldn't see what it was, but it was heavy and was standing its ground in the current. I tried to pull it upstream, then tried downstream but this fish wouldn't budge. I was sure it was my first Bull Trout, but I wasn't until I saw it break water did my heart really start pounding.

In BC single barbless is law of the land, so I took extra caution to keep the line tight and at the same time stay within the limits of my 6 lb lead in the fast Kootenay flow. This Bully just bulldogged the whole fight but I succeeded in beaching this beauty and landed my first ever Bull Trout.

bull1small.jpg

Another angle. Notice its nice red spots.

bull7.jpg

A few drifts later, I landed my second Bull Trout. A little guy, but I'll take it.

bull3.jpg

Locals tell me 15 and 20 pounders are not uncommon. Next target, break the 10lb mark!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jet

Wow! The Kootenay region is the most relaxing spot I have ever visited or fished.

Good luck with your new business. The hardwork will pay off so you can enjoy some more time on the river. I look forward to some future reports from you.

Wicked Bull by the way!

TDunn

All those Steelhead reports you guys have been posting has been creating some major withdrawal. Unfortunately we don't get "Steelhead" here per say. There are the Gerrard Rainbows, but most run up the Lardeau River during the spawn and it's totally closed off to fishing (though I have some leads on where I may be able to find them.) So the Bull Trout are my new Steelhead for the pin and after the one I got yesterday and the 12-lber my buddy landed hours before, I am optimistic there will be more fun reports to share.

Cheers guys!

Always fun catching a new species of fish.... first time seeing a bull trout.... sounds like they give a great fight especially on pin setup B)

Congrats on your first Jet :clapping: a real beauty :worthy:

I'm sure it's not going to be the last we see from you :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

You miss steelheading Ontario ditches? OH PLEASE!!!

So...You visit Milner’s centrepin factory yet?

I’m having a serious craving for some spicy salmon maki (made from wild Pacific coho salmon) dipped a slurry of freshly made wasabi and soy sauce :D

Nice report. Almost two years ago, I was in Squamish BC and hired a guide to take me fly fishing for bull trout in the river there. Man the water was cold (it was in Feb and ice was on the bank)! But it was all worth it when I caught my first bull trout of my life on a wooly bugger. I think I caught two more that day. Great fishery there. I just wish we had that kind of pristine water here in Ontario.

Nice report. Almost two years ago, I was in Squamish BC and hired a guide to take me fly fishing for bull trout in the river there. Man the water was cold (it was in Feb and ice was on the bank)! But it was all worth it when I caught my first bull trout of my life on a wooly bugger. I think I caught two more that day. Great fishery there. I just wish we had that kind of pristine water here in Ontario.

Water is freezing cold even in the summer, lakes included. I made the mistake of trying to fish in shorts this summer here and literally went numb in the knees. With all the glacier run-off and spring fed systems here it keeps it cold and I think really contributes to keeping the trout quite active.

Bull Trout are definitely an interesting fish to fight. I want to catch a few more to really see what they do, especially a 10lb one, but from what I gather they will do big runs sometimes, but mostly will bull dog in the current and hold position until it tires out. That would explain why for the first 2 minutes I couldn't really move this bully up or downstream despite the strong current.

And MJL, believe it or not, I do miss those ditches! Mostly the good company though ;)

And whenever you're ready, I'll have those rolls ready to go.

Edited by Jet