Can I boost my van with a marine battery ?

splashhopper

AS the trouts season is on for me now, I will be van camping in some cold nights.

I will be using my sleeping bag that is rated for -20c along with a a foam pad to go under it. I also bring an old comforter just in case.

I am wondering about using my old slip on car seat heater that I plug in to the cigarette lighter. It has two settings and works like a charm.

I was thinking about putting it between the foam pad and the sleeping bag. I can plug it in to the rear plug accessories plug in my van as well.

What I am wondering though is about draining the battery in the van down. It is only 30 days old and I know these are not meant for draining fully like a marine battery.

So, should I re-wire the seat cover with two alligator clips and hook it up to my 12volt marine battery or should I just plug it in to the cigarette lighter and then boost the battery off the marine battery if need be?

Thanks for the support.

Splashhopper

hmmmm??? mixed results so far. :dunno:

The seat heater can make my backside sweat on the coldest of days, with the regular heater on of course.

I am just looking to keep the chill off with this pad is all, not looking for toasty warm

BTW, they have the exact same on one on sale at Crappy Tire this week for $9.995 if you are getting older like me and like to warm your vehicle up for a few minutes and then sit on a warm ;) seat.

Edited by splashhopper

What I always did camping... I had two marine batteries in the back of the vehicle. While driving they were plugged into the cig lighter charging.. at destination they ran our portable cooler until we could get plugged in or thru a night if necessary. Moving on the next day batteries get recharged.. repeat.

What I always did camping... I had two marine batteries in the back of the vehicle. While driving they were plugged into the cig lighter charging.. at destination they ran our portable cooler until we could get plugged in or thru a night if necessary. Moving on the next day batteries get recharged.. repeat.

Did you attach them to the marine battery with alligator clips? Or is there an adapter that I can buy at CT to plug the seat in to and then to the marine battery ?

AS you may guess, I am not very sound on electrical practices. Grout and tile I know a thing or two about. lol

What I had was... a female plug-in on the marine batteries ( ie: an external cig lighter socket). When driving I had a dual male end cord that would plug into the vehicle socket and the battery socket. When parked... you unplug the (charging) cord and then plug your male cord from the heater you want to use into the marine batteries socket. If they are dead come morning.. plug that dual ended cord back in AFTER starting the vehicle.

Edited by irishfield

What I had was... a female plug-in on the marine batteries ( ie: an external cig lighter socket). When driving I had a dual male end cord that would plug into the vehicle socket and the battery socket. When parked... you unplug the (charging) cord and then plug your male card from the heater you want to use into the marine batteries socket. If they are dead come morning.. plug that dual ended cord back in AFTER starting the vehicle.

That sounds very simple to do. :D

Could I buy those plugs at CT or at princess auto then ?

Yah.. I hear ya! Hard wire that female cig socket to the batteries wing nuts.. Fuse holder should be in the male plug in end (or inline in the wire as you suggested Brian) to the heater. The fuse for the vehicle cig lighter socket will cover the charging wires.

What I am wondering though is about draining the battery in the van down. It is only 30 days old and I know these are not meant for draining fully like a marine battery.

So, should I re-wire the seat cover with two alligator clips and hook it up to my 12volt marine battery or should I just plug it in to the cigarette lighter and then boost the battery off the marine battery if need be?

Thanks for the support.

Splashhopper

You have answered your own question, starting batteries are NOT meant to be used as a power source to drain down, use the marine DC batteries and recharge either while driving or when you get back home.