Hunt camp owners

Cookslav

So I've come to the point in my Life where a Recreational Property is border line affordable LOL...

I have my eyes on a couple of Propeties, and I'm being pretty discriminating in my wants :rolleyes:

My Property MUST have both Fishing, and Hunting opportunitys at the back door, or its not going to cut it.

I have 2 properties I'm really persueing currently, and the haggleing proccess has begun for both.

One is northern ontario(8 hours drive)Water access only, 15acres abutting 1000's of acres of crown land.

Its unorganized township, which means building permits are not a concern, but actually getting supplies in to build could be difficult.

Game species are Moose, deer, bear, Grouse, pickerel, smallmouth bass, pike, whitefish.

The Pro's

-very remote, quiet

-flat gravel/rock shore line(easy access)

The Con's

-Long drive

-Hard to build remotely

-More expensive by $10k(and have to pay a yearly crossing/launching fee)

-The Potential for future logging in the area is there...this could be noisy, but "could" also bring future road

access

The Second property is in southern ontario and closer at only 4 hours drive.

It has 6acres of land abutting 1000's of acres of conservation land for which hunting is permitted.

Currently has Water and road access "too" the property, but not to the water where we would want to build.

BUT...cutting a road is an option, and fairly strait forward from what I can tell.

Game species are Moose, deer, bear, Grouse, pickerel, smallmouth & Largemouth Bass & Muskie

Pro's

-closer by 4 hours

-potential drive in access

Con's

-a bit less remote

-Building permits required(could get around that with an RV which I already own)

-shore line is a bit swampy

Tough decision ahead for me....

The northern property is more money, and will require more time invested to develop but would be a true remote destination. It would also limit my time spent there...8 hours is a long drive for a weekend

The Southern property is less money, less effort, and I already have an RV that could make for good accomodations should building permits be an issue.

Its also an easy drive for a weekend trip at 3-4 hours

But is less remote....

Fishing and hunting opportunities are equal in my oppinion.

More moose and bear in the northern property, but bigger more plentifull deer in the southern property....

More Pike, and pickerel in the northern property, but Largemouth and Muskie in the southern Property...

Both Properties have suitable building areas, and are High and dry.

What's a boy to do????

I'm just looking for experiences in this proccess...

Anyone ever cut in a road?

Anyone ever build a remote cabin with water access only?

Any advice at all for a newbie in this realm is appreciated?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'd be looking close to home so that weekends are possible. part of the beauty of having a little peace of heaven is being able to use it. even if it's just visiting the property to cut grass and have a cold one.

A friend and I are looking at splitting the cost of a 200 acre property. I'm also pondering the same things you are.

No good advice here, but I'll be watching this post carefully.

Hopefully you get some good advice!

Edited by F-is-H

Another consideration with the property further away, with limited visits would be security and leaving supplies etc there.

This gets to be a lot of hauling things in and out all the time.

I like the idea of being able to use a place like this as much as possible; this in turn allows for more enjoyment, as a property you visit a couple times a year, alot of the time is spent opening and closing and doing other required up keep.

A friend and I are looking at splitting the cost of a 200 acre property. I'm also pondering the same things you are

200 acres is a lot more road to cut in then 6 acres though LOL...

I think you'd be in need of a loader for that handy work?

Thats half the reason I targeted properties abutting crown land that are under 20 acres.

Cutting a road in is tough work I imagine?

Cutting tree's is the least of my worries if I am understanding the job correctly....its the filling thats tough.

Lugging gravel etc....

(Especially with out a loader)

Do you have a family or is this solely for your use?

A good freind and fellow board member "Big Swede" is investing in this endevour with me.

So its definatly more for us guys as an outdoor project first and foremost but....

over time the kids and gals might be invited :whistling:

It will be rustic & 100% off the grid.

I'm looking forward to working on it, and "over time" building a cabin with a few modern conveinences like hot water, and a composting toilet, and installing Solar/generator power...the usual advanced camp comforts.

But for now its about hunting, fishing, and the enjoyment of carving something out of the bush.

Pit toilet, maybe a shack to start....potentially a trailer and addion.

Anything goes for now....even thought about TJ's idea with a prospectors tent.

In a nut shell...

Its more about solitude, catching fish, hunting, and being able to shout with out getting in crap....

I've had an RV in a trailer park for 5 years, and had enough of watching what I say, where I step, and how loud I talk.

Watching the clock to ensure I don't make to much noise after 10:30pm is not relaxing any more LOL!

In truth growing up We have had a family freind with a camp north of Havelock and its paradise which is where my plan came from....

The problem is someday that camp will handed down, or sold, and I'm not on that waiting list, so my days there are numbered :(

I simply want to continue enjoying that kind of outdoor privilage and Iwant my kids to enjoy the camp scene the way I did some day.

No one else is going to do it for me so...I'm manning up and get'n it done. :canadian:

Swampy shore line is no big deal...thats what a dock is for I suppose?

But good to know that it can be "tamed" a bit :good:

Cutting a road is the most daunting part of the Southern property for sure.

Ya.. your wife gets pissed off though driving with all the supplies and the boat, only to find you are already at camp and half way thru a case! lol

Half way through a case?

Geeze I hope she had more beer in the boat, other wise it would be a long trip back to town for her :clapping:

Cookslav, in general where is the northern property? Close to which town?

For your purposes I would suggest the closer property.

My cousin lives in Toronto (Younge and Lawrence) and 5 years ago he bought a point of an island on the French river. It is a 3-4 hour drive then he has to get in the boat with all the gear, drive 20-30 minutes by boat (15hp) and then lug everything up to his site. He has to pay for a slip all year to have his boat ready for him. He has worked on it for 5 years and it is not done yet. It will have all the ammenities but still it is not anywhere near complete.

The bonus is I am only 1.5 hours from it and I have a bigger boat (90hp). :)

If you can be there in 3-4 hours that means you could be fishing, drinking, relaxing in 4-5 hrs.

Been through this, although somewhat earlier....if you are at the age where you can afford it, won't be long before you'll be at the age when you'll appreciate convenience. Get the closer property. You will start out 'rustic' - my first camp had propane only- but as time passes and family spreads out, such things as cell and internet come in real handy.

As for road building, survey a route, cut down trees, get a contractor with bull dozer, add gravel to your initial goat track when you can afford it. Have no experience with composting toilets, but an approved septic system works well without 'handling' of waste or use of power. Outhouse - illegal now I think - not very good - doesn't process sewage.

The Manager of the Temiskiming health unit actually believes that an outhouse is the best system there is for cottages/camps! (& it definetly beats crapping in the woods!)

Unfortunately.. the building code probably won't let you proceed to a permit without health approval for a septic system..

It'll be an outhouse to start regardless of the laws LOL....

Not much choice other then crapping in the woods....just like 90% of the other camps out there.

But I did put some thought into grabbing a composting toilet at some point once we're settled in a bit.

A Septic system some day would be nice but may also be hard to get approval on with no "official" road access?

The Manager of the Temiskiming health unit actually believes that an outhouse is the best system there is for cottages/camps! (& it definetly beats crapping in the woods!)

Unfortunately.. the building code probably won't let you proceed to a permit without health approval for a septic system..

While respectful of your wisdom on this forum, I have to question the benefits of an outhouse - other than the obvious better than the deep wood dump scenario - a pile of ecoli simply spreads out through the water table over time, particularly in rock/clay layers. Dumping lye etc. just (somewhat) keeps down the smell. No treatment of raw sewage occurs as in other systems.

I did this back in 1979 but the property was only 80 miles away....built from the ground up within sight of Chautauqua Lake but also had great deer and grouse hunting. It took me 4 years to finish it. LOTS of hard work and money.....EVERY weekend and holiday was spent building the "cottage". Don't know how old you are now but the older you get the hard it gets to do this and then the drive to do it is not there. So keep that in mind.

My advice would be to go for the closer piece of property if this is something you are REALLY committed to do...if you quit half way through the process you will take a beating if you sell. Driving even 4 hours is way too much time spent on the road IMHO. You would be MUCH better off purchasing a cottage/cabin that needs some work, but of course that's up to you.

One thing you MUST consider is what will you do when gas prices SPIKE once again and they WILL......even the 4 hour drive has to be over 200 miles away. Do the math with gas costing you $5 - $7 per gallon. OUCH ! ! !

Good Luck in your decision,

Bob

While respectful of your wisdom on this forum, I have to question the benefits of an outhouse - other than the obvious better than the deep wood dump scenario - a pile of ecoli simply spreads out through the water table over time, particularly in rock/clay layers. Dumping lye etc. just (somewhat) keeps down the smell. No treatment of raw sewage occurs as in other systems.

It's not my wisdom... I was simply stating that the manager/inspector of the Temiskiming Health unit says that an outhouse is the best septic system that exists.