Hunt camp owners

Cookslav

The only problem with buying a small chunk of land that has access to crown is that most crown land has pretty much been claimed by locals and hunting gangs as their own hunting grounds. I know anyone should have the rights to it but hunting gangs get pretty teritorial and it could cause huge problems.

Hands down...go for the closer property. Having experienced 11 hour drives to our first "Getaway"...5.5 hours to our 2nd "Getaway" and finally 75 minutes to our third I can tell you the closer the better. Everything and I mean everything, is just made easier and BETTER by having your little piece of heaven closer. And the words of wisdom others have offered about the camp progressing as you age and your needs/wants changing WILL HAPPEN I guarantee it.

Those beauty properties WAY up north in the middle of the wilderness are heaven, no doubt about it...I drool everytime someone posts about a trip up to there remote piece of heaven. But there is a huge investment of time and sweat that comes with them and a leisurely weekend visit is absolutely out of the question.You have to decide if your up to that type of commitment. Or if you just wanna have a closer Getaway that is easier to enjoy. My experience is the closer the better.

Good luck with your property choice.

Outhouses illegal?

Hmmm. don't think so.

Properly constructed, an outhouse works quite well.

http://www.cottageplanner.com/articles/outhouses-building-codes/

An 8 hour drive is a long one although it may be a great place when finished.

I like the idea of having the place right near the lake.

I would have to see both properties to make a final decision.

One thing you MUST consider is what will you do when gas prices SPIKE once again and they WILL......even the 4 hour drive has to be over 200 miles away. Do the math with gas costing you $5 - $7 per gallon. OUCH ! ! !

Yes gas cost can be a consideration...but what is a mile... and what is a gallon :whistling:

im also in the same process :)

Ive noticed that its Illegal to have a trailer/rv on your property as a primary residence.. I know that ALOT of people do it and i bet most times the town dont have a clue or dont care.

id come with the closer location... 8 hours is way out of my range !

My place is 7-71/2 hours north, and also water access.

For me the longer drive is a complete non issue. If I were you I wouldn't let that deter me. Especially if the property is better and it offers better fishing and hunting.

You'll find a way to get there plenty of times if you buy it, trust me.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Also bear in mind property taxes are SIGNIFICANTLY less in an unorganized township. That's a big plus.

Since my place was purchased it's literally been rebuilt from the ground up.

Yes it was a chore to haul stuff over but it was a labour of love.

Have no idea what your costs are going to be in total... start to finish of all projects, land taxes and everything else considered for the rest of your days..?

Not sure how old the kids are, how long they may actually get to enjoy the fruits of your labor, how often in the near future they will join you in such a camp and receive quality time when dad isn't working on building, cleaning and clearing beaches, cabins and roads...?

Not sure how much time you could get with them and for yourself doing other things today and during days ahead if you chose to spend the same on other options?

Not to discourage Cook. Simply playing Devil's Advocate. Good luck in your choice. I'd go with the closer property, especially if your life is mon-fri 9-5. You have a shiftworkers life like Solo or myself... further may not be that difficult after the solid investment of time to get set-up.

My hours and shifts are very flexible so time is not an issue at all.

I usualy work long stints, and catch up like wise....(Sometimes 14 days in a row, then off for 6)

But unfortunatley a decision has been made for me....

The closer property has some "iregular" zoneing/controling issues.

The Quinte Conservation authority whom governs the abutting crown land have made it illegal to hunt Deer which is a huge drag....

I can hunt small game, and birds within the given seasons but Deer are off limits

It seems the Conservation authority, took a back route to canceling a Provincially regulated

hunt by "leasing" the land during the hunt....TO THEMSELVES!!!

So ya....that property just lost my interst.

So I'm now looking a lot closer at the Northern property.

But The price needs to move, as they are way over priced.

A property 25% larger, with similar land(high and dry) sold for $10k less then the asking price in June.

And I've had 3 seperate agencies give me an assesment of value that concurs with my assumption....

They need to drop the price 8-10K to be in the ball park.

But we'll see...

Edited by Cookslav

My hours and shifts are very flexible so time is not an issue at all.

I usualy work long stints, and catch up like wise....(Sometimes 14 days in a row, then off for 6)

But unfortunatley a decision has been made for me....

The closer property has some "iregular" zoneing/controling issues.

The Quinte Conservation authority whom governs the abutting crown land have made it illegal to hunt Deer which is a huge drag....

I can hunt small game, and birds within the given seasons but Deer are off limits

It seems the Conservation authority, took a back route to canceling a Provincially regulated

hunt by "leasing" the land during the hunt....TO THEMSELVES!!!

So ya....that property just lost my interst.

So I'm now looking a lot closer at the Northern property.

But The price needs to move, as they are way over priced.

A property 25% larger, with similar land(high and dry) sold for $10k less then the asking price in June.

And I've had 3 seperate agencies give me an assesment of value that concurs with my assumption....

They need to drop the price 8-10K to be in the ball park.

But we'll see...

Bottom line it's a BUYERS Market.... :thumbsup_anim:

Bottom line it's a BUYERS Market.... :thumbsup_anim:

Exactly. Considering the time of year you should be able to do better than 8-10 less.

Yup.

I told the agent that when I offered....

And when they declined firm at their asking price....

I told them when they were willing to deal in that range(provided they do so "before" the snow flys)

My offer will stand.

They have my contact info, so the ball is in their court now.

Truth be told I know more about their situation then a buyer normally would LOL....

I canvassed the area including local land owners, and a camp near by for some info on the land/access etc.

And it turns out a couple of them know the sellers, and were happy to divulge some information about why they are selling!!!

it Turns out they bought "another" slightly larger property which they liked better that was a real steal of a price in May...

So they are now trying to sell the parcel I'm interested in.

But of course they jacked the price to bank roll the other new property.

The issue is....

Them paying a "steal" of a deal on the other property actually hurt them, as it dropped the selling price by comparison on the other parcel.

(it's litterally in veiw of the other property I'm attempting to purchse)

And to boot....

They are also just now begining to realize this "steal" of a deal they got in May is actually MUCH closer to the genuine value then they paid for the first parcel 2 years ago.

I feel Sad for them getting hosed but....I'm not going to pay for their mistakes.

Meh...We'll see how it turns out I guesss?

But they've been on the market since they bought the other property in May and to my knowledge I'm the only one persuing it right now.

If I hear back soon...great....If not the search continues :canadian:

Edited by Cookslav