LED Trailer light kit

asdve23rveavwa

I bought a set four years ago (not PA's), I was a little reluctant because they had just come out, well I haven't had one bit of trouble since. Last weekend some guy freak out at the ramp and started yelling at me " Your lights are on" I said so, it ain't going to hurt those LED lights and he just looked at me funny

Now I don't make a habit out of keeping them plugged in while backing in the water, but if they were still incandescent I would have blown a bulb or two

Well I messed around a bit more tonight, and, still no luck getting the darn things working. Keep running out of daylight too...guess I should buy a decent worklamp while I'm at it :lol:

The entire right side of the trailer is messed now...no lights at all. The left lights up, but, no signal. ARRRGHHHHHHHH!!!

The re-wire is looking more attractive all the time!

I never unplug my, LED, trailer lights Phil ! If I did.. .my reverse lock out solenoid wouldn't work and my trailer brakes would come on! :huh:

Good point Wayne but..... I don't have trailer brakes :D

I kind of wish I did though, my 17.5 footer is a heavy boat for it's size

Edited by Whopper

Good point about the slush build-up Roy. I don't tow much in the winter, so never had that problem, but something else to think about!

I have the PA LED lights on my utility trailer an am very pleased with both their performance and their brightness. They do sell some junk, but they also have some decent stuff and these lights seem to fit into the latter group.

As far as trailers over 80" wide goes, the only thing that is required is the three identification lights mounted in the centre of the trailer at the rear. I bought these separately (also LED versions) when they go on sale. Both my boat trailer and utility trailer are over 80".

I bought a set of LED lights for the boat trailer as well, but have not got around to changing them out yet. These are from the US equivalent of PA called Harbor Freight. There is a store in the same plaza as Gander Mountain in Port Huron, Michigan.

I have side marker LED lights from PA to install as well. Good stuff!

As far as trailers over 80" wide goes, the only thing that is required is the three identification lights mounted in the centre of the trailer at the rear. I bought these separately (also LED versions) when they go on sale. Both my boat trailer and utility trailer are over 80".

These are from the US equivalent of PA called Harbor Freight. There is a store in the same plaza as Gander Mountain in Port Huron, Michigan.

My 1985 trailer came with the three identification lights mounted in the center of the trailer but I kept breaking them because they hung so far down......I removed them about 20 years ago even though my trailer is more then 80" wide.....never been stopped over that...as a matter of fact I stopped having the trailer inspected over 20 years ago....waste of money as I can inspect it myself....

Both (left/right) your directionals run can be checked real quick by putting on the 4 way hazards or just lock/unlock the tow vehicle with the remote as you stand back at the end of the trailer. If the lights blink on the tow vehicle they should also at the trailer.

For those who have trouble with their lights, they need to get a test light, something similar to this but they should cost under $5 US...

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-140/Tools/12-Volt-Test-Light/p-78-725-2408/

This way you can figure out where power is good, up to that point and then keep working back towards the trailer lights.....doesn't do any good to put on new lights and wiring if the problem is at the tow vehicle. This quick check only takes minutes to diagnose where the short is.

Happy Wiring......

Bob