Hunting Quinte Walleye

asdve23rveavwa

Headed to Picton, from Woodstock, Saturday afternoon with Juli and her dad (Craig) to get ready for a day out on Quinte with Lloyd. After a good Thankgiving turkey dinner at a local restaurant, and, getting to watch the Leafs kick the Senators butts we hit the sack. Six fifteen saw us on the boat and heading out for the usual great time on the water with Fishunter.

I've got quite a few pics, and, don't want to make this a long wordy post. Somebody once said "a picture is worth a thousand words" so (with a few captions) here goes...

Beautiful Picton Harbour, view from our hotel room

DSCN0285.jpg

Waiting for Walter

IMG_6392.jpg

Picton Bay sunrise

IMG_6395.jpg

Smoke On the Water

IMG_6420.jpg

Rod and planer board

IMG_6438.jpg

Waiting/talking fishing

IMG_6441.jpg

Juli playing her mini-walleye, lol

DSCN0289.jpg

Never took a pic of that fish, but, Lloyd should have had a catcher's mitt on the way Juli launched it at his head!!!!!

Craig's mini-gold

IMG_6457.jpg

The BATTLE BEGINS!!

IMG_6487.jpg

Eight minutes later, checking the scale

IMG_6508.jpg

17.4 lbs of BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! My freshwater drum PB

IMG_6512.jpg

CAPTAIN FRANK (had to be in Lloyd "caps" if I'm the captain, LOL!!!)

IMG_6526.jpg

Juli's smaller sheepie

DSCN0294.jpg

[Craig battling his behemoth sheepshead

IMG_6552.jpg

13 lbs of drum...another PB

IMG_6566.jpg

Come Sail Away

IMG_6601.jpg

Happy Campers

IMG_6655.jpg

Juli taking photos, in her glory

DSCN0297.jpg

Lloyd and I (post fishing)

IMG_6679.jpg

We ended up catching and releasing the two small walleyes, and, nailing a bunch of sheepies (Juli also got one around 10 lbs that I don't have the pic of yet).

Lloyd, man, it is always a pleasure spending time on the water with you! We all had a great time, and, I know Craig really enjoyed learning some new techniques and talking Temagami with you. Looking forward to hitting the ice with you this year for some fun times.

Juli and I also took my boat out on Long Point yesterday. Took home 20 keeper perch, released a bunch of small ones.

My 12" fatty

IMG_6707.jpg

Heading home the sky turned black

IMG_6722.jpg

The heavens opened

IMG_6725.jpg

A plate of perch

IMG_6732.jpg

What a great Thanksgiving/fishing weekend!!! Have another day off tomorrow...fishing again...LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!

excellent sheeps !! they really put up a fight.More than any bass.Got a few this summer here in the St Lawerence near montreal.Mine were in the 12lb range.Nver knew much about them before and sure didnt know they came in the 17lb rangegood.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Really great report. I've yet to catch a sheepy so don't know what the fight is all about, but sounds like they are a strong beast. Looks like you all had a great time and those scenery shots are really good :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

Thanks, all!! Terry, yeah it would have been nice to get some big pickereyes, but, I knew the fishing had been tough there the last few weeks. The sheepies helped, and, it was great getting Juli's dad out on the water for the third time this year with us.

Mercman, Bucktail and Joey...the sheepies really surprised me. Most of the ones I've caught before have been in the 2-3 lb range, with one around 6 lbs off the rocks in Southampton. Scrappy, but, when you start hitting them over 10 lbs, wow! I wasn't disappointed at all when I saw what it was on the end of my line. Any fish that fights like that gets my respect!

Wayne, lol!! Sounds like you and Lloyd had a bit of paradise fishing up there a few weeks ago. He keeps telling us to head up Temagami way (Juli's dad, Craig always loved it up there too)...so we are definitely considering it as our end of August holiday next year.

Happy Campers

IMG_6655.jpg

Hey Frankie, "Happy Campers" was the name of my folks 1st boat, "Happy Campers II" was the second.

Still a good day fishing is better then any day working. I CANNOT WAIT till the BOQ G2G.

Edited by GBW

Great way to spend Thanksgiving with the family Frank!. thumbsup_anim.gif Way to go on the flock tending there, too bad there wasn't a county fair on - might have been able to enter yours into the Big sheep of the year contest LOL. rofl2.gif Great report and great shots. That Rosebud boat in the first pic looks like a nice restore job. Like I said after our trip up to Temagami, its a must do. Bet Craig is looking at his boat all over again now ? Time to get her out next year?

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like you had a great thanksgiving weekend! When some people say sheephead dont fight, they dont know what they are talking about.lol As a sport fishermen, I would not complain about catching sheephead all day! But if I was out for a meal and kept catching them, THEN it may get annoying.lol

Never fished Quinte in the fall but may give it a go this year(for the huge sheephead). Love the smoke on the water, fire in the sky shot! Thanks for sharing

Edited by Johnny Bass

BOQ BEST, nothing better than a good Sheephead report :thumbsup_anim: . I hope the Sheephead are on when I get down. Catch and release fishery, and Better fight than a Walleye Boot. Thanks for posting. My first trip this year is in a couple weeks. First time I've seen so many boats in the Harbor.