Steelhead stillfishing

fishinguypat

anyone else have an opinion on the topic?wallbash.gif

Honestly, run your bag below a float.. Here are a few reasons.

1. You won't be flossing (aka snagging fish)

2. It's adjustable, you can fish the upper water column for those active fish or the bottom for the not so active ones.

3. You can pop, jig and do pretty much impose any action you want on your bait.

4. You can switch it up easily, live worms, jigs with maggots, live minnows, etc etc.

Honestly, run your bag below a float.. Here are a few reasons.

1. You won't be flossing (aka snagging fish)

2. It's adjustable, you can fish the upper water column for those active fish or the bottom for the not so active ones.

3. You can pop, jig and do pretty much impose any action you want on your bait.

4. You can switch it up easily, live worms, jigs with maggots, live minnows, etc etc.

Good if your fishing under 15-20 ft.... But he said he is still-fishing for steelhead, So fishing with a floating roebag, swivel and a slip sinker would be fine, Its no different from fishing at the dams for walleyes or baiting a rig for carp. If the steelhead are there and see the roe they will hit it...

Hate to tell ya Bill you can still snag fish with a float, as a accident or on purpose. Its up to the fisherman if they want to fish right or wrong....

Thats my 2cents

The only way to catch steelhead legitimitly is with a float LOL. Seriously there are plenty of ways to catch them and I use almost the

same rig mentioned beach fishing and have caught all kinds of bows and browns this way I have also caught a tonne of steelhead on a simple split shot and roe bag set up no float just drifted in the main current. I have been float fishing with the pin for the last 5-6 years and don't use the other techniques anymore because the pin is way more fun but I might bust out the 10 footer and head to the beach soon its always fun to hook a good one in the big water from shore. Float fishing isn't the only way to catch a steelhead

I'm a float fisherman mainly, but it's true, You go to the Humber or Credit, most of the float fisherman are just too lazy and either floss or snag the salmon in the pools or in the riffles. It's retarded, if you are gonna do that, just stay home, you don't need a fancy setup to accomplish that and definitely not legitimate. Totally turns me off from fishing there in the early fall

But for still fishing, both setups mentioned are good

Don't forget to bring a dozen night crawlers. You can fish them with the same slipsinker rig. Its always a good idea to have a backup plan in case the fish aren't interested in your roe. Might want to use a bit bigger hook than what you'd use for roe. Another thing, don't get caught up in the whole floating roe bag trick. In a lake, there's not a lot of current. So naturally roe would sink to the bottom. The fish smell the roe and find it. Then they suck it in and at this point you should probably set the hook. Floaters are ok, but not a natural presentation. If they're picky, you might get more bites fishing right on bottom.

well I'm going with my dad and a friend who is a very good steelhead angler who has spent a lot of money on his float rods, and says he can catch trout easily so dunno.gif... I think I'll set up a float rig on my rod and my buddies will use the bottom rig... what are some good lures to use when casting out into the lake with sandy bottom?jigs?

Good if your fishing under 15-20 ft.... But he said he is still-fishing for steelhead, So fishing with a floating roebag, swivel and a slip sinker would be fine, Its no different from fishing at the dams for walleyes or baiting a rig for carp. If the steelhead are there and see the roe they will hit it...

Hate to tell ya Bill you can still snag fish with a float, as a accident or on purpose. Its up to the fisherman if they want to fish right or wrong....

Thats my 2cents

Well said Dmasse! im glad someone said it!

I'm not a still fisherman by any means but why would people even bring up the topic of flossing or snagging... Are u trying to say that a bow wont hit a roe bag suspended off bottom?

Thats my 2cents

Dave knows his stuff. The fact that some meat heads use certain rigs to produce snagging situations doesn't necessarily mean that the rig itself has no legitimate benefits. I don't fish stillwaters often but I can certainly see how this would be ideal for steelehead

Edited by ctranter

Well said Dmasse! im glad someone said it!

I'm not a still fisherman by any means but why would people even bring up the topic of flossing or snagging... Are u trying to say that a bow wont hit a roe bag suspended off bottom?

because some people are kinda slow learners and dont know when to give it up ;)

or they are just trolls looking to stir things up?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I watched a pinner and spinning outfit float "fisherman" lining salmon with their float gear Friday. ... Today I had another pinner lay the most EPIC lowhole on me while I was fishing. Could have nearly touched him with my rod.

I wish the bush leaguers would find a new hobby!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus