S-10 Question (NF)

LefroyFisherman

I was just wondering if any of you guys have a 1999-2005 Chevy S-10 or Gmc Sonoma ZR2 4X4 with the 4.3 Vortec. Reason why I ask if because I have a 1998 Gmc Sierra 5.0 Liter 2 wheel drive, I commute to Toronto everyday and I work all around the GTA as an installer. Just wondered what you guys are getting for gas mileage? I've heard the 4.3 Vortec's are pretty hard on gas, I get 650km's or so on a 95 liter tank all highway. I would like a 4x4 soon since I moved up here in the spring.

Thanks

I drive a '03 S10 ZR2. With stock tires I was pulling 20mpg tanks on the highway pretty regularly.. But after the lift and new tires, I'm seeing about 14mpg on average, lol. I get about the same mileage as my oldmans '07 2500HD Duramax.. In short, these trucks suck for mileage...

Engines are pretty much bulletproof, except for the intake manifold gasket issues some earlier engines had.

My truck.

s10002.jpg

Edited by BillM

Bill, how much did you lift it? the ZR2 already comes lifted a little bit, looks like a 2-3 inches. Those tires don't look much more aggressive then the stock? and you have the 4.3 vortex?

Yup, 4.3 Vortex under the hood. It's just a 2in body lift, nothing special. Suspension lifts for these trucks are pretty expensive and way to high for my liking (6inch BDS lift for example).

Stock tires/rims are 31x10.5x15 with a 6in backspace, mine are 285/75-16(33x12x16) with a 5in backspace so they poke out quite a bit more then stock. BFG All-Terrain TA's came with the truck, these are Toyo Open Country MT's... I'll post a front shot so you can see how different the offset is, lol. I also have the lower flarettes removed if you can tell. As for the truck itself I love it, I've pulled more big trucks out of the mud then you can imagine. Can't touch a short wheelbase truck in the mud, I don't care how many ponies you have underneath the hood. I don't commute in it (I have a TDI for that) so I basically drive it in the city and when I go fishing...

Here is stock when I bought it.

zr2-1.jpg

Front shot as it sits now.

s10001.jpg

Edited by BillM