perch fishing

SBCregal

hey all,

I was out fishing the barrie waterfront this past weekend and caught quite a few perch and we were planning on going back again this weekend coming in hopes of getting enough decent ones for a feed. sizes we were getting was maybe 8-9" which seems too small to keep for me. the guys next to us were getting larger ones, i think its because they were setup differently and were able to cast further out, i'll try this setup this weekend. all that being said, what do YOU consider a keeper perch???

ryan

My youngest has been doing very well off the break wall.

His bait of choice,shrimp.Yep.He bought a shrimp ring, he,s getting the 10-12 inchers.

Casting out and slowly dragging it back to him on the bottom.

Oh,his shrimp ring has lasted him almost 3 weeks now.Heck,it would last 30 seconds in my hands.Im going to have to go with him just to eat. :thumbsup_anim:

I perch fish alot so I can be pretty selective. IMHO anything under 10 inches doesn't warrant keeping it because they just have very little meat. A 10 inch perch will have double the meat of a 8.5 inch perch. I also release anything over 12 inches. Some people feel the size matters with regards to taste. Personally I have never found this to be true.

Like I said I get out alot. If you only have the chance to sneak out a couple of times by all means keep whatever you are comfortable keeping and enjoy the fish fry.

My youngest has been doing very well off the break wall.

His bait of choice,shrimp.Yep.He bought a shrimp ring, he,s getting the 10-12 inchers.

Casting out and slowly dragging it back to him on the bottom.

Oh,his shrimp ring has lasted him almost 3 weeks now.Heck,it would last 30 seconds in my hands.Im going to have to go with him just to eat. :thumbsup_anim:

Brian with a one track mind...food..starvin.. :sarcasm:

Those shrimp do work, was there Sat and Mon morning for a bit, two young guys at Tiffin were having some luck.

9"+ unless they are gut hooked. i have noticed no difference in taste between 8" and 14" fish and i have ate perch literally every week this year since april. it takes about 1 minute with an electric fillet knife to get boneless/skinless fillets.

best rig so far this year for the bigger fish has been a drop shot rig.

ultra light rod/reel

8 lb power pro

3ft, 4 lb floro leader

2 hooks...one red other chartreuse

1 oz bell sinker