Carp fishing rods and reels

largefish

Where can I buy a rod and reel for carp fishing in Canada? I checked Bass Pro Shops' website and they have an 11' catfish rod and a reel combo (Bass Pro Shops® CatMaxx™ Spinning Rod and Reel Combo - CM80 Reel/CMX110HS-2 Rod) that would work for around $100, but it would take 2 weeks to ship it from the U.S.A. I also checked Cabela's site and they have some catfish rod that is 10' long but needs to be placed on backorder. At their site, they don't even have a reel suitable for carp fishing. For those of you that fish carp and catfish, where do you get your rods and reels? I'm looking for a 10-12 ft. heavy action rod and a larger reel that can take a 25 lb. line without any problems.

You can pick up bait runner reels almost anywhere now. I bought my shimano 4000d at bass pro and have it paired with a 10th heavy steelhead rod. I'm not a big fan of those heavier, longer carp rods yet. The heaviest line I run is 30 braid and on a 4000 you can get loads on it. Mpst

If you're looking for a European specimen carp rod, a number of stores in the GTA who distribute Angling International products (like Raven, Drennan, Kamasan, ESP, etc) should be able to order rods made by Wychwood for you.

Here's the catalogue

http://www.anglersinternational.com/2010%20carp%20fishing%20catalogue.pdf

Here are the dealers

http://www.anglersinternational.com/dealers.html

Fishing World in Hamilton has some Shimano stuff and Bill's Bait and Tackle had some carp rods in stock last time I visited last year.

You can also order rods online from Canadian retailers like:

- New World Carp (Hamilton, On)

http://newworldcarp.com/

- Carp Kit International (Milton, On)

http://www.carp-kit.com/index.php

- If you know what you're looking for, you can also contact Jeff Vaughan at the Long Sault motel. He has a small carp shop there and owns a much larger one in the UK - He guides on the St. Lawrence river in summer. I usually do 1 or 2 orders off of him per year or I stock up when I visit the motel.

http://www.canadiancarpclub.on.ca/

or

http://www.longsaultmotel.com/

If you'd like, I could supply you with links from US vendors...Keep in mind that shipping costs will be quite high.

There actually are carp rod/reel at most tackle shops. However, other than the ones mentioned above, their selections are usually very limited.

I know BPS/Lebaron both carry Shimano Alivio in various test curves and they do have the B-series baitrunner + thunnus.

Sorry typing on the iPod. Most guys are going lighter around Hamilton now. I'm seeing a lot more float reels and long light rods

Yes…There’s a general shift in techniques around the harbour. Feeder rods and float rods are becoming the norm there. From what I’ve been told by the local anglers, angling pressure seems to have a lot to do with it (unbelievable I know).

Jeff Vaughn is also promoting float fishing as well as feeder fishing when fishing shallow bays, pre-spawn on the St. Lawrence. He says he’s getting 3-4 fish on the float to 1 on the bolt rig early in the season. Except he’s using heavy action Barbel feeder rods (2.75lb), large Polaris floats and 30-40lb PowerPro for those fish.LOL

In most places around Ontario, a 1.5lb (or less) – 2.5lb rod is plenty unless you’re fishing big, gnarly rivers (like the St. Lawrence, Niagara, Detroit, some parts of the Trent system, lower Grand during high flows, etc). I got violated by a large fish on the St. Lawrence in September during a tourney using my 3.25lb carp rod! :(

I watched guys with float reels and light hair rigs just pound them most nights under the skyway. Took me a few trips to wise up and change gear. First trip down with 11' streamside with 6 lb and I landed 4 over 15 and a pb 35". If you got open water light line is the way to go. Even the big girl only took a few minutes to bring in. I'm arming up with a bigger selection of waggler floats for sure next year

If you're looking for a European specimen carp rod, a number of stores in the GTA who distribute Angling International products (like Raven, Drennan, Kamasan, ESP, etc) should be able to order rods made by Wychwood for you.

Here's the catalogue

http://www.anglersinternational.com/2010%20carp%20fishing%20catalogue.pdf

Here are the dealers

http://www.anglersinternational.com/dealers.html

Fishing World in Hamilton has some Shimano stuff and Bill's Bait and Tackle had some carp rods in stock last time I visited last year.

You can also order rods online from Canadian retailers like:

- New World Carp (Hamilton, On)

http://newworldcarp.com/

- Carp Kit International (Milton, On)

http://www.carp-kit.com/index.php

- If you know what you're looking for, you can also contact Jeff Vaughan at the Long Sault motel. He has a small carp shop there and owns a much larger one in the UK - He guides on the St. Lawrence river in summer. I usually do 1 or 2 orders off of him per year or I stock up when I visit the motel.

http://www.canadiancarpclub.on.ca/

or

http://www.longsaultmotel.com/

If you'd like, I could supply you with links from US vendors...Keep in mind that shipping costs will be quite high.

Thank you so much MJL. Those 2 websites that you gave me have exactly what I needed. I already ordered the rod, reels, rod holder, and line from one of those websites. I knew that this forum was the only place where I can find such information. I think that you already replied to one of my carp posts last year (I never got to go carp fishing that year. :P ) so I thought I would come back and see if you are still on this forum. Thanks again, much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Where can I buy a rod and reel for carp fishing in Canada? I checked Bass Pro Shops' website and they have an 11' catfish rod and a reel combo (Bass Pro Shops® CatMaxx™ Spinning Rod and Reel Combo - CM80 Reel/CMX110HS-2 Rod) that would work for around $100, but it would take 2 weeks to ship it from the U.S.A. I also checked Cabela's site and they have some catfish rod that is 10' long but needs to be placed on backorder. At their site, they don't even have a reel suitable for carp fishing. For those of you that fish carp and catfish, where do you get your rods and reels? I'm looking for a 10-12 ft. heavy action rod and a larger reel that can take a 25 lb. line without any problems.

www.carpins.ca

good friends of mine with REAL carp tackle and bait

Where can I buy a rod and reel for carp fishing in Canada?

Brought mine from Germany. We use our carp rod here for trout fishing from shore.

I think you can use any good spinning reel for carp fishing. No special carp reel is necessary.

If you think about a carp rod maybe a telescopic rod is something to think about it.

Easy to order from EU online stores. Good luck!

carp_rod.jpg

Fang has a good point...

I sell the Wychwood and other rods from Anglers International, along with everything from the Daiwa Infinity to Jaxon to Chub...

But personally, I fish a float rod, as do a few others here in scenic Hamilton-on-the-Lake, and I honestly believe that the results prove us right. The float is much more sensitive, the rig is much easier to set up, and so we get better results with less effort and have a heck of a lot of fun (John banging off over 30 in a day earlier this year). If you're bored but want to see some nice 20s and 30s caught on the float during a few days of fishing, please click here:

Bounty Fishing 2009

These are the highlight fish out of many that I caught on the float during those few days. If you're really bored, here's a link to a few hours of carp on the float from last year:

A bit of float fishing

These are not that exceptional. I often get 10-20 carp on the float before toddling off to work in the morning (Scott, you know what I mean).

Edited by iCarp

Fang has a good point...

I sell the Wychwood and other rods from Anglers International, along with everything from the Daiwa Infinity to Jaxon to Chub...

But personally, I fish a float rod, as do a few others here in scenic Hamilton-on-the-Lake, and I honestly believe that the results prove us right. The float is much more sensitive, the rig is much easier to set up, and so we get better results with less effort and have a heck of a lot of fun (John banging off over 30 in a day earlier this year). If you're bored but want to see some nice 20s and 30s caught on the float during a few days of fishing, please click here:

Bounty Fishing 2009

These are the highlight fish out of many that I caught on the float during those few days. If you're really bored, here's a link to a few hours of carp on the float from last year:

A bit of float fishing

These are not that exceptional. I often get 10-20 carp on the float before toddling off to work in the morning (Scott, you know what I mean).

Stephen...both of the links took me to the paying members only section of CAG...

Carp rod = the $30 medium action spinning rod I don't use for anything else

Hey Rich...I agree, up until a couple of years ago I used a 7 ft. Ugli Stik with a saltwater Zebco spinning reel for carp...

Hell, when I was a kid I used a hand line with a bell sinker on the end and a couple of snelled hooks with cornmeal doughballs and caught carp...a few twirlls around my head then LET 'ER GO !!!

But...I sure enjoy fishing for carp much more with the 11 ft. carp rod and baitrunner reel I was kindly given...

I thought Photoz was nuts when he told me he spent $1350 for a rod and reel and pod just to catch CARP ! but I can understand why today...

If you think about it... you don't need the cost of a boat, motor, and trailer etc. to catch carp from shore so a few bucks spent on carp tackle isn't even comparable...

True enough sir everyone's passion is different. I'm sure a lot of people would scoff at me for how much I spend on catching catfish, lol

Not me Rich...I'd trade a pickerel for a couple of catfish anyday...when I was a kid I spent my summers at my grandad's farm and we mostly had headcheese, sausages or catfish for supper...we kept the catfish in a "live box" until we decided to have some...(my job was to clean 'em)...thumbsup_anim.gif

BTW...Don't call me "sir"...I was never knighted...I wouldn't let that old broad near me with a sword...LOL

BTW 2...I've been thinking that using a carp rod and baitrunner reel might be a great way to fish for those big channel cats down your way...and for salmon using spawn bags...

Edited by Beans

I believe your buddy was down and tried that with me and my ex a couple years ago... it was a slow night but normally yeah same deal with cats/carp I actually fish them both at the same time at my spot. Carp during the day and big cats at night, just a change in bait!

Fang has a good point...

Bounty Fishing 2009

A bit of float fishing

Hi Stephen,

I'm the one who bought the Wychwood rod, the rod pod, and and the Daiwa reels from you in October. I found out about your website through this forum. I also sent you the pictures of my father and I and the carp we caught that you posted on your website. We met Jeff Turner and it was great talking to him. We have not fished lately as we've been busy and it is cold outside, but as soon as the spring comes, we will be back for some more carp action. There is nothing better than reeling in a nice big carp. I used to be a big fan of bass and pike fishing, but after trying carp fishing, I was hooked.

Edited by LargeBass

Hi Stephen,

I'm the one who bought the Wychwood rod, the rod pod, and and the Daiwa reels from you in October. I found out about your website through this forum. I also sent you the pictures of my father and I and the carp we caught that you posted on your website. We met Jeff Turner and it was great talking to him. We have not fished lately as we've been busy and it is cold outside, but as soon as the spring comes, we will be back for some more carp action. There is nothing better than reeling in a nice big carp. I used to be a big fan of bass and pike fishing, but after trying carp fishing, I was hooked.

Hi LittleCarp, sorry, I mean LargeBass. Carp fishing doesn't end in winter if you know where to fish and can deal with the cold. It may need different equipment but the fun is the same. Glad to hear you enjoy carp fishing.

Hi LittleCarp, sorry, I mean LargeBass. Carp fishing doesn't end in winter if you know where to fish and can deal with the cold. It may need different equipment but the fun is the same. Glad to hear you enjoy carp fishing.

Haha, sorry I cannot change my username and I was not going to create a new one. You can have LittleCarp as I'm pretty sure nobody wants that username. :)

I know where I can catch the carp, that's not a problem, but I don't want to sit for 3 hours in the cold if you know what I mean. It takes sometimes an hour to get your first bite, especially when the carp are less active like now when the water is cold. Some people can endure the cold for extended periods of time without any problems but I know I would get sick the first time I would try it. :) I can't wait for the warmer weather to come.