any ofn members make or restore knives

mercman

I recently acquired and old knife that my father made when he was in Korea during the war. He was stationed there with the RCEME for 13 months, back in the early 50's. He was a small arms technician.Its made from hi quality carbon steel, and over the years it has become a bit rusty and stained. Even after all these years, it still sharp as a razor. I need to know what i should use to remove the rust. actually,i'd be willing to puro it of to someone who could restore it for me, the handle is very plain, so maybe a new handle would be a good idea too.

He passed 17 years ago from brain cancer and the knife just kinda turned up while i was cleaning out his workshop. when i say turned up,i mean just that. I'd been in his workshop 100's of times,and never noticed it,then one day it was just there, on the work table in plain site. I remember him using it to clean and skin deer and moose when i was a kid. Ahh the good ole days.

anyway, any help i can get would be appreciated

cheers

Paul

If you use a polishing wheel with a medium twill with a blue rouge it will clean up the blade nicely. I use a variable speed buffer and have finished off the project with a dremel tool around the handle. Please note the direction of the wheels rotation and make sure you never point the cutting edge in counter rotation of the wheel it will grab and throw the knife violently. The handle can be finished by sanding it lightly with 3oo grit or finer while sanding try not to round off the edges it is a common mistake and detracts from the final quality. Once it is clean and sanded you can rub Johnson paste wax into the handle making sure you friction heat it so it soaks in. While it is easy to have someone do it the time spent restoring it will help you revisit with the memories that surround the knife.

Art

If you use a polishing wheel with a medium twill with a blue rouge it will clean up the blade nicely. I use a variable speed buffer and have finished off the project with a dremel tool around the handle. Please note the direction of the wheels rotation and make sure you never point the cutting edge in counter rotation of the wheel it will grab and throw the knife violently. The handle can be finished by sanding it lightly with 3oo grit or finer while sanding try not to round off the edges it is a common mistake and detracts from the final quality. Once it is clean and sanded you can rub Johnson paste wax into the handle making sure you friction heat it so it soaks in. While it is easy to have someone do it the time spent restoring it will help you revisit with the memories that surround the knife.

Art

Thanks Art,you just made up my mind for me. i will give it a shot and post a picture on the resulds when i'm finished.thumbsup_anim.gif

oh ya 1 more thing,What's a blue rougedunno.gif

Edited by mercman

Rouge is the agent that is used on the cotton wheels to buff out metals here is a link for a description of the rouges you can buy it locally with no issues

rouge guide

Here also is a link for a forum that is very good at metal finishes including powder coating buffing etc.

caswellplating forum

If you need any verbal help give me a p.m. and I will be happy to walk you thru the process.

Art

Edited by aplumma

I dont know if I would redo the handle well it depends on the condition but I know for me i would like to keep the same one that he made it with. Cant wait to see how it turns out

Buster if you looking for a new knife check out Big Catch Outdoors they make some of teh best knives around and also have a great tool for helping you clean fish

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104426387008

We are waiting for the before pic........

Good luck!

here it is. i've decided to remake the handle also. i have cut the maple i've chosen and will start soon.

the original is a soft pine or cedar and is cracked and dented. The blade is pitted so i hope i can do something with it.

HPIM1698.jpg

On Canada's east coast is a manufacturer been there for years. I bet that knife was made by them for the military. IMO it's a Russell belt knife. Google them up and maybe can send it back for them to restore it for you. Very famous knife ergonomically superb for skinning big game. That one looks to have some additional edges for cutting branches, stabbing (war time and all).

On Canada's east coast is a manufacturer been there for years. I bet that knife was made by them for the military. IMO it's a Russell belt knife. Google them up and maybe can send it back for them to restore it for you. Very famous knife ergonomically superb for skinning big game. That one looks to have some additional edges for cutting branches, stabbing (war time and all).

thats extremely interesting.i was always under the impression that he made it. wow.i will definately check it out.thanks for this info.

Apparently the russel belt knives come with kits to not only make them but fix them.

http://www.oldjimbo....l/grohmann.html

The kit is less then $40 Canadian. Worth looking into.

I searched for quite a while, and i nevr saw a russell quite like this. I'm 55 and i can remember this in my dads hunting cabinet since i was 5. also, no indication on the blade of a manufacturer. I belive he based the design on the russell, thats apparent. I'm gonna see if my mom still remembers. Shes 78 but sharp as a tack.

I searched for quite a while, and i nevr saw a russell quite like this. I'm 55 and i can remember this in my dads hunting cabinet since i was 5. also, no indication on the blade of a manufacturer. I belive he based the design on the russell, thats apparent. I'm gonna see if my mom still remembers. Shes 78 but sharp as a tack.

If for military use they may not have branded the equipment due to security reasons. Hate to have your plant bombed since it was making stuff the enemy didn't appreciate being on the receiving end of. Military may have had the design altered for their use so it may not be identical to their proven design. But if taken off the Russell design at least they may be able to provide a sheath for it/clean it up better than someone else.

Best of luck and hope to see the finished product!

If for military use they may not have branded the equipment due to security reasons. Hate to have your plant bombed since it was making stuff the enemy didn't appreciate being on the receiving end of. Military may have had the design altered for their use so it may not be identical to their proven design. But if taken off the Russell design at least they may be able to provide a sheath for it/clean it up better than someone else.

Best of luck and hope to see the finished product!

wow, this has turned into an interesting search. I contacted the company in Pictou NS here is the email and answer.

HELLO I RECENTLY ACQUIRED AN OLD KNIFE FROM MY FATHERS ESTATE. SOMEONE SAID IT WAS A RUSSEL BELT KNIFE. SEE BELOW.http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee489/mercman2/?action=view&current=HPIM1698.jpg ALTHOUGH IT RESEMBLES YOUR STYLE, I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BLADE LIKE THIS ON THE INTERNET ASSOCIATED WITH A RUSSELL AND, THERE IS NOTHING INDICATING THAT IT IS A RUSSELL. MY FATHER WAS IN THE CANADIAN ARMY, AND I THINK THAT HE MAY HAVE MODIFIED THE BLADE OR PERHAPS COPIED THE STYLE.ANY INFO THAT YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU PAUL WHITE

Good dayThank you for your inquiry.This was not made by us. Good luck with your search!Best Regards,

Grohmann Knives Ltd

www.grohmannknives.com

116 Water Street, Pictou, Nova Scotia Canada B0K 1H0

Phone (local) 1.902.485.4224

Toll free 1.888.7.KNIVES

Fax 1.902.485.5872

This makes me believe that he liked the ergonomics of the russell handle, but not the blade style, so he made one to his liking. Mom has no idea where he got it. She never liked his huntingwhistling.gif But she did say he liked to reinvent stuff.

Like a .303 military lee enfield he turned into his favorite hunting rifle. I'm finding out a lot about him since starting this project.

mercman, you can do with your father's knife whatever you can, but I would consider very carefull restoration, just keep in your mind: anything new you make to this knife will make it YOUR knife, be carefull, do not erase good memories... :)

And, good luck!

There's the most sensible reply yet.

thanks to all, i will be careful and post a picture when its done. Next time im in Ottawa i plan on rumageing around his work shop, cause i know 100% that i've seen a russell in there somewhere.A really old one, like one of the ones i saw today on ebay.whistling.gif Maybe in one of his old ammo cases.

Feels like im on an adventure !!

mercman, after my dad passed away in 97 I went thru his workshop and also found alot of his old things that I hadn't seen in years. I kept some of his tools that I still use today. I found his old tape measure and even though it was broken I kept it and it still sits on a shelf above my workbench.

Your post has brought back some fond memories for me, thanks for that.

Guest gbfisher

Nice Russel. I have a couple myself. Great blade for sure and worth fixing. :good:

oops guess its not a russel after readng your email to them...sure looks like one except for the blood letting ridge.

Edited by gbfisher

mercman, after my dad passed away in 97 I went thru his workshop and also found alot of his old things that I hadn't seen in years. I kept some of his tools that I still use today. I found his old tape measure and even though it was broken I kept it and it still sits on a shelf above my workbench.

Your post has brought back some fond memories for me, thanks for that.

Lew, the name is Paul

Dad passed 21 years ago. and everytime i go to visit Mom, i go down to his workshop and just stand there for awhile. I can still see him with the old flouresnet lite over his worktable,either carving a duck,or painting by numbers Its exactly the way he left it. Mom can't get into the basement because of her hips. They give her alot of trouble. Last month i found his old Pentax Cameras and she gave them to me.Still like new and work like a charm. Old hand tools, he loved those things.Even found some really old fibreglass fishing rods stacked behind the furnace.All well used and all without a scratch on them.

he was a great man. and i miss him alot.