how to figure out what I need in trolling motor

skinny

ok the trolling motor I curently have is a transom mount 32 lb duramax from CTC. It did well on my 12ft boat and my 14 ft boat . My new to me 16ft starcraft is a new story. it will push it but kills battery quick and can't really deal with wind.

I would like to go with a bow mount so how do I figure out how long it should be and how much thrust I need.

I would consider 24 volt if i can still charge it off the 12 system from the motor (once I get it working)

let me know your thoughts people

The best way to charge deep cycles is with a proper 120v charger. Onboard is easiest.

Get the most thrust you can fit/afford, you won't be sorry. AND get more shaft length than you need, 48" will do the job but 60" will be better!

I would suggest 55# 12v 60"shaft minimum.

But I'd recomend 80# 24v 60" shaft.

i'd recommend the terrova..................12v 55# is what i have and pushes my 16' fine.......but in strong winds it can be a pain..........if i was buying again i would go 24v and up the thrust to 70 or 80.... If you can afford it get the universal sonar..........transducer in the motor head unit works great, and the auto pilot is a must for me but the new 'i-pilot' looks awesome!

No.....i dont work for Minn Kota...........i'm just very pleased with the product i got, although some folk swear by Motorguide...

Skinny, I was about to post mine for sale. I have a 55# 60" Minnkota on my 17' Legend and find that it is really good even on a windy day. I am selling it because I hardly use it and my kids hate it on the bow when they sit up there.

I put in on my boat in 2002 and used it two or three times per year only. It is in mint condition and comes with an older Humminbird finder from the early 90's and a 4 year old Bass Pro 800 cranking amp deep cycle battery. I can send pictures if you are interested.

ok the trolling motor I curently have is a transom mount 32 lb duramax from CTC. It did well on my 12ft boat and my 14 ft boat . My new to me 16ft starcraft is a new story. it will push it but kills battery quick and can't really deal with wind.

I would like to go with a bow mount so how do I figure out how long it should be and how much thrust I need.

I would consider 24 volt if i can still charge it off the 12 system from the motor (once I get it working)

let me know your thoughts people

I wouldn't bother trying to recharge your deep cycle batteries from the gas motor. You will probably put far more hours on the bow mount than you put on the gas motor. I estimate that I put more than ten time the hours on my bow mount than I put on my gas motor. The little bit of charge that you would get form the gas motor isn't going to make enough difference to notice.

If you have room for two batteries then I would go with the 24 volt. I run a 12 volt myself because my battery compartment is only designed for one battery.

I also have a 16" starcraft dual console (aluminium)

I installed a 55pound thrust 48 inch shaft minkota edge. 12v

It has proven well, but if I could do it over again, here is what I would do:

1: Longer shaft - 48" is in the water, but I should have gone longer. It would have been better in choppy conditions.

2. The edge foot petal is big - My bow room is limited and a lower profile petal would have been more comfortable.

3. The edge 55 pound is plenty of power I find, but in certain situation speed 4 seems under powered and switching to speed 5 seems too much! I wish I could mod a 4 1/2 speed in it.

PM me if you would like to see any pics of the setup..

Edited by Ten90