Georgian Bay Salmon - nice one

Canuck

A bit late in posting, but finally caught a decent Georgian Bay salmon. Was caught August 25th in the Hole at the top of severn sound. Just shy of 20lbs, which is really big for Georgian Bay in that area. Nice healthy fish and not skinny like most have been in the past few years. I have basically stopped trying for Salmon for the last two years, but had a guest up for a visit and thought we'd give it a go. I'm glad we did. Tried again the next week with no luck but sonar showed that there were a few there. Maybe things are picking up again?

GBaySalmon.jpg

Guest gbfisher

Very nice 'One' of very few that's for sure.

I sure wish things were picking up...sadly it isnt the case.

Good shootin!

Edited by gbfisher

Guest gbfisher

Some of the guys are saying there are more Salmon & even a bit bigger this year but I haven't been out, Just joined the Lake Huron Fishing Club last week so I'm hoping to get out a bit or at least help out with the Trout & Salmon Hatchery when available

Richard

Ask these "some of the guys" what More is? You'll find that their meaning isn't what it should be. More fish is not one or two fish in the 6 to 8 pound range for every 4 times out.

More fish would be 6 or 10 in the 15 to 25 pound range each time out. We will never have a population of natural Salmon like we once had through stocking. It just isn't possible. It's a wonder we have any. My salmon fishing ended years ago. To much of a waist to go after something that is almost none existent in comparison to what it once was. There be better species to fry. :good:

Ask these "some of the guys" what More is? You'll find that their meaning isn't what it should be. More fish is not one or two fish in the 6 to 8 pound range for every 4 times out.

More fish would be 6 or 10 in the 15 to 25 pound range each time out. We will never have a population of natural Salmon like we once had through stocking. It just isn't possible. It's a wonder we have any. My salmon fishing ended years ago. To much of a waist to go after something that is almost none existent in comparison to what it once was. There be better species to fry. :good:

You should start fishing different places. :)

Edited by BillM

Guest gbfisher

You should start fishing different places. :)

I do...that's what lake 'O' is for. Catching...not just fishing. ;) If your meaning is to fish other places on the bay, Owen Sound is to far to drag a boat to.

Meegs his father and myself did pull a limit from the bay last spring.

All fish were 4 to 9 pounds. A great day for any lake. It was a fluke as this season they were no where to be found. Almost none existent

Generally, fishing the bay for Salmon is a lost cause during the summer months. But hey....if yer doing good numbers during the summer who am I to say.... :worthy:

Fall river fishing when they stack up doesn't count. :rolleyes:

Edited by gbfisher

I do...that's what lake 'O' is for. Catching...not just fishing. ;) If your meaning is to fish other places on the bay, Owen Sound is to far to drag a boat to.

Meegs his father and myself did pull a limit from the bay last spring.

All fish were 4 to 9 pounds. A great day for any lake. It was a fluke as this season they were no where to be found. Almost none existent

Generally, fishing the bay for Salmon is a lost cause during the summer months. But hey....if yer doing good numbers during the summer who am I to say.... :worthy:

Fall river fishing when they stack up doesn't count. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking Owen Sound, but by all means keep fishing Lake O, the less pressure up here the better :)

Guest gbfisher

I'm not talking Owen Sound, but by all means keep fishing Lake O, the less pressure up here the better :)

Dont kid yerself bubba.

Somehow I doubt you even fish for Salmon in a boat during the summer months and if yer doing well....you'd be the only one. :clapping:

Edited by gbfisher

Dont kid yerself bubba.

Somehow I doubt you even fish for Salmon in a boat during the summer months and if yer doing well....you'd be the only one. :clapping:

Who said anything about the summer? If you say the Gbay chinook fishery is dead, then I guess it must be. I'll keep on wasting my time.

:)

Guest gbfisher

Who said anything about the summer? If you say the Gbay chinook fishery is dead, then I guess it must be. I'll keep on wasting my time.

:)

Ah...the summer fishery was once incredible. :excl:

who said anything about being dead.. :rolleyes: ..learn how to read. :)

..maybe I should learn how to write...lol