Photographer at work

danc

As most of you know, Brandon is on his way to Alaska Read this if you missed it to photograph Grizzly Bears. How cool is that? I was thrilled when he called me from Hearst yesterday morning to tell me that he would be arriving in Thunder Bay in the late afternoon for a visit. Perfect! Around 5:30 pm, we shook hands. It would be a short visit as Brandon was determined to make it at least to Dryden to satisfy his tight schedule. Now, it just wouldn't be right if Brandon and I didn't get out with our cameras for an hour or two at least. There's a few scenic vistas not far from my house, and soon we were in my truck with our gear in hand. Conditions were not good for photography, especially for the places that we'd be going to. It was mostly cloudy, and when the sun did pop out from time to time, we would be shooting right into it. None of this seemed to bother Brandon. With his photographic skills, he had a work around for the difficult conditions. He couldn't get out of my truck fast enough when we arrived at the first location. He had a pack sack full of gear which was bigger than any pack that I'd take with me for an entire long weekend of fishing. I only brought one camera and one lens. After all, I could visit these places any time and under much better conditions. So what would I shoot, I thought to myself? I decided that I was going to shoot the photographer. Below is a series of shots that I took of Brandon.

Unfolding his ball head Gitzo.

Brandon1.jpg

Setting up for a series of shots.

Brandon2.jpg

Brandon3.jpg

Brandon4.jpg

Surveying the scene at a different location.

Brandon5.jpg

This looks like a nice scene.

Brandon7.jpg

Is that the Sleeping Giant behind you Brandon??

Brandon8.jpg

Brandon10.jpg

After an hour or so, we came back to our house. Sis had ran out and bought some steaks and we had a barbecue upon our return. The three of us shared a few stories, had a few laughs and just had an overall great time.

Finally Brandon had to hit the road. Only minutes after Brandon had left, Sis looked at me and said, "What a great kid he is". Well, she took the words right out of my mouth. Both of us were impressed with his maturity and mannerisms. His passion for photography goes without saying. If you ever get the chance to meet Brandon, don't pass it up.

Have a great trip Brandon. I'm looking forward to your Grizzly shots.

Brandon6.jpg

I'm pleased to see that Brandon was able to fit a visit with you into his schedule Dan.

I'm sure the two of you (or perhaps 3 of you) could have spent days wondering about with cameras in tow.

Great shots of Brandon doing his thing and a good eye on you for taking the opportunity to catch it, I think most of us camera novices would have totally missed those shots. clapping.gif

Safe travels Brandon. thumbsup_anim.gif

Good on you too Dan ...nice working portraits....

Just a thought.Brandon should start a diary thread of this adventure....i know ill add it to my favs if he did /does

He's doing a mild version of that on his facebook page. I don't think that we'll be seeing any quality stuff until he returns. He's just not equipped for that. When he's at the Grizzly shooting location, there will be no power or cel service.

It was great meeting the both of you! I appreciate the well wishes and the photos...as a photographer, I'm not photographed very often. To those that mentioned the diary, I'm keeping notes of all the thoughts going through my head, the places I've been, and the things that happen along the way. I'll try and post a Moosebunk style post once I get back home. I'm currently writing this from Prince George, BC.

I'll try and post another update in a day or two.

Brandon

I would have liked to have met Brandon also Dan, but I was at work at PACI installing technology for classroom teaching from 8 am until 3:30 pm, then went back to the University to work the President's dinner for new students riding audio levels. Was there until almost 9:30 pm.

Got to the Beer Store before they closed though :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: