NF - picture frame

GBW

Hey all.

Does anyone know where I can get a deep boxed picture frame like this in the GTA or Durham area?

100_2800.jpg

I have about 15 OLD lures from my father-in-laws great grandfather and want to make something nice for him (my father-in-law), thanks.

Geoff

Edited by GBW

Hey Geoff you can probably find a shadow box frame in any home decor store. You might have to figure the size you will need and buy something close to that size. Just take whats in the frame out and use the frame for your lures.

Most of these frames are over priced junk from China, looks like wood but its plastic. Or you can take your lures to a custom frame shop and have the real deal done with workmanship in the mounting and good quality materials used. You get what you pay for buds. If you want to do it yourself try yard sales for frames you can find some good deals there too.

I have no problem trying to make the whole thing myself other then finding the glass. My concern is cost and time to build rather then buy. Most of the lures and BIG old pike/musky lures and the odd spoon. I'm not going to label any of it as I don't know the names on most lures and my father-in-law wouldn't care too much as he doesn't fish. But thanks for the idea!

It varies, I personally only frame using quality soild wood frames or solid aluminum frames. Everything I do is archival grade.

As for the front of the frame, I have a wood stock, that looks almost like a rustic barn board. the inside I would use oak or something

that doesn't have alot of knots in it. and give it a dark stain. But depends on the colors of the lures you want inside.

Thank you all for the replies. Looks like I need to get out and do some wood shopping soon.

Goeff, you could also make a nice plaque for those lures and use hot glue to secure them into it.... like the one I made last year for my wooden lures.... just a thought :)

Leechman

Goeff, you could also make a nice plaque for those lures and use hot glue to secure them into it.... like the one I made last year for my wooden lures.... just a thought :)

Leechman

Hey Jacques, can you post a pic of it again? Thanks.

Hey Jacques, can you post a pic of it again? Thanks.

Sorry Geoff for the delay..... but it wasn't my fault :whistling:

Here's the plaque I made, notice the markings throughout.... I drilled holes and glued little wooden pegs to hold the lures

DSC03016.jpg

and here's the results

DSC03018.jpg

and hung on the trophy wall

IMGP2134.jpg

Leechman

Thanks Jacques for the pic's.

As much as I would like to do something like that I can't due to the kid factor. Well, the grand kids (like my sone) would want to pull them down to see and or use them. I guess a shadow box is the best way to go then. I will check out the craft store but if anyone knows where I can get good wood to make my own in or near Brooklin (North Whitby) please let me know as this project will start soon. Thanks.

Geoff