Your favorite Bass Technique

tschirk

My top technique is dead sticking a texas rigged 6" Senko (Black w Blue fleck Colour #21) just outside a weedbed on deep water side.

I am looking for other ideas as I am in "Gummers Fishing Derby" on Wollaston Lake this weekend.

Many Thanks,

Ted

We hooked 6 good bass in that area last weekend. Two on split-shot rigs dragged along a sharp break-line. Three on weightless Senko's cast to weeds, rocks and docks and one on a shallow crank bait.

I can't give you any areas to try because I have only fished that lake for Pike in the spring.

Garry2R's

Senko's seem to be a very effective method, and it's a great invention that provided me with the best bass I've caught all year!

But besides that, I think I would have to give the favourite to the spinnerbait. They actually work for more than you actually think. Deep, shallow, topwater. Heck, even skip it under docks and cover in the middle of the afternoon! They're especially fun when you are watching your spinnerbait get retrieved back and all of a sudden a shadow pulls the spinnerbait under!

Frogs come in right after, and they're only not my favourite because it seems that the topwater bite is almost over.

Edited by EC1

My favourite has aleays been topwater plugs, especially the Pop'R.

It might not be the best technique for numbers at this time of the year, but occasionally you can get a pig in the right conditions in September and October.

I like the 5 inch flippin tubes with a 5/0 OWG gammy rigged weedless of course. Cast it on the slop and let it drop down in any openings. Let it sink and then give it a shake. Remember to fish it very slow. Also the 10 inch black worm on a light jig for them weedline drop-offs. I have caught lots of big bass on the black worm.

Early morning I like to run a surface lure near shore, buzzbait, jitterbug, pop r, torpedo, frog. If they are missing it or I am fairly confident fish are in the area? a texas rigged worm, lizard, tube, usually Junebug for a color choice to start. In an area with little or no weeds or other junk I will fish them on a jig head with the hook exposed.

Boat docks, wood in the water, even parked pontoon boats that don`t look they have been moved in a while get a few extra tosses.

I will mix the weights up, a slow fall or a faster fall, just to see if it makes a difference. I also may pitch a jig and pig to the same spots, talk to me fishy? today`s choice from the menu is?

Not much I wouldn`t throw at them, crank baits, blade baits, spinner baits, all sorts and sizes of soft plastics, in all different water depths until I found some thing that worked.

A minnow style bait like a Rapala on a flat with a pause and twitch, a heavy jig and worm, jig and pig punched through the weeds. A lot of choices, just figure out quickly the best one for the day.

A cold front and I down size and slow down, more pitches to the same spots, they may not be as eager to strike or chase, accuracy, get it close to cover.

Ted, here is all you need for Wollaston Lake this time of year. But you have to have a trolling motor to cover water and stay on the structure.

Structure - the first main break, usually 8-12ft of this lake. Can be a weed or rock/sand edge.

1. jerk bait - Xrap 10, rouge, pointer, anything you are confident with and cast along the break.

2. shallow crankbait - minus 1, DT 6/10 anything you are confident with and cast into the shore and bring it over the break.

3. if you find a weedbed/structure holding a school of fish have a tube/senkos style bait ready to pick it apart.

The above are good for that lake as you will get both LMB and SMB in the same area. I would say a flipping jig for #3 but a tube is better for SMB, they will eat a flippin jig, but a tube is higher percentage.

Good luck

Ted, here is all you need for Wollaston Lake this time of year. But you have to have a trolling motor to cover water and stay on the structure

1. jerk bait - Xrap 10, rouge, pointer, anything you are confident with and cast along the break.

2. shallow crankbait - minus 1, DT 6/10 anything you are confident with and cast into the shore and bring it over the break.

3. if you find a weedbed/structure holding a school of fish have a tube/senkos style bait ready to pick it apart.

those are my confidence baits right there!

with this "colder wheather" I have been throwing a shallow-med diving crankbait and steady retrieve with the odd pause. aswell lip less and slash/jerk baits are killer too.

Im also a big fan of jigs and this time last year was doing very well on football jigs (dragged/crawled across bottom)

another thing I would suggest is carolina rigged plastic.

other then that I'd say start slow and see how the fish want it!