New Title

asdve23rveavwa

Get yourself a Nils Master Manual Auger, and buy an extra blade in the event you tune it on the ice

best quickest lightest there is..those Fin's were onto something...but very $$$

100% agree. I love my Nils.

I have the 4'' and think I'll get a 6 this year.

We fished Kawarthas last year with nothing but a hand auger, which was fine until the ice kept getting thicker and thicker and thicker. We even adapted a power drill to the auger with limited success.

A gas auger is on the Christmas list for this year.

I think it would depend on a] do you walk on the ice, b] how far do you walk and c) how much gear do you have on your sled?

I walk out. Sometimes the walk is a lot longer than I would like - last year on Simcoe is a case in point, the whitefish/trout seemed to be much further out compared to the previous seasons. The 2km walk is more than enough for me and I wouldn't want the extra weight of a gas auger to deal with as well. I don't have a pop-up hut for the same reason.

I currently use a 6" manual auger, but prefer the 8"-10" holes. The 6" is great for finding fish and has worked fine for me, but I often use my buddies 8" manual auger. Part of the reason is I share the hole with my flasher, so a larger hole makes it easier. Connecting two holes with a saw isn't a bad alternative though, but I prefer to keep the holes under 12" for safety reasons.

Anyway, if I didn't have too far to walk [or I had an ATV/sled] I'd consider a gas auger. I'd also go for the 10".

Good luck!

Edited by FishLogic

As some of the other members have mentioned, it's all about have often you ice fish and how many holes you plan on drilling. I have a manual one for early ice and a gas auger for anything after. Living in Barrie I ice fish as much a possible (3-4 times per week) and I like to move around a lot so for me, a gas auger is a must, especially late in the season when the ice is 30"++. Keep your eye open for deals. I picked up an 8" Jiffy a few years back at Walmart in the clearance section for $175.00. If there was more there, I would've bought 'em all!!! LOL

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input, everyone!! Great that an ice fishing question can generate this kind of response in September! :clapping:

I'm leaning towards the manual for this year, either a Nils or Finnbore. Although Lloyd (Fishhunter) has said he'll be dancing around me drilling holes with his gas auger, first the machete, now that...have to keep him away from those sharp objects :rofl2:

• 5 weeks later...

Dug out this post again. I spoke with Jocelyn at my local tackle shop...he only has the 4 1/2" Nils in stock. Fine for perch, smaller fish...no way on Quinte or Simcoe. He also says that Nils can be a PITA to deal with so wasn't too interested in ordering more.

Anywhere else that might have them???

If not I might just grab the Finn Bore..."Doc Sal" and a few others recommended it. Still a few months to go, but, time is flying!!

Hey Frankie, I had an 8" Strikemaster and didn't like it at all. Now I have a 6" Normark and it's good. But if you can get one with curved blades like the Eskimo units get it. They go through the ice like a hot knife in butter.