Books to read

thatleetboy

I'm just getting started, learning how to fish, after catching some great smallies in Lake Baptiste the last couple of summers. (I've spent the last few years focussing on learning to brew my own beer, but now I have a little guy underfoot, and figure that I had better learn something sensible we can share together someday)

I'm trying to learn all I can, surfing around randomly on the net, getting books out of the library. As you can imagine, it's *all * helpful at this point.

Just wondered if you guys had any suggestions, any "must-read" books that inspired you.

Also, how the heck do you learn to clean a fish properly? Is there a course, a dvd, a book? or just lots of practice?

Cheers

Yeah, I suppose YouTube *is* a pretty good place to start. I've been watching, close-up, when someone else guts/cleans a fish, and everyone seems to have their own, slightly different approach. I guess I just have to keep at it.

Any suggestions for an all-around fishing book or two? websites to surf? Even a "must-have" list for a noobie who is fishing from shore would be good. I seem to just keep dropping into Canadian Tire and I'm sure there are bett options.

Cheers

what about that course ofah is sponsoring, check their website

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for, nothing jumps out at me!

and yes, HTHM, I do need to spend more time on the water with as many helpful mentors as I can find!

Cheers

IMHO, canadian tire is just about the worst place you can hang out. Your'e paying a 15% + premium on any lures/tackle and most of their rod/reels are crap. Find the nearest independent bait/tackle store in the area you plan to fish and do your asking/buying there.

As the other guys posted, youtube is great for fish cleaning methods (go with the ones with the most views) & local knowledge + time on the water is better. Books are a good reference after you've spent time on the water as you can then 'relate' to what you are reading.

I would add a recommendation for a subscription to Ontario Out of Doors magazine

http://www.ontarioou.../?ID=195&a=read

Good Luck,

Symon

Edited by Symon

Any suggestions for an all-around fishing book or two? websites to surf? Even a "must-have" list for a noobie who is fishing from shore would be good. I seem to just keep dropping into Canadian Tire and I'm sure there are bett options.

Cheers

There are so many quality books to read it will really blow your mind, but NOTHING BEATS TIME ON THE WATER!

My favourite fishing author is John Gierach. He is technical, but most of his books are a collection of fishing-related short stories that really capture the sport. He's a great read when you're sick of reading textbook style technique fishing books. Whereas he discusses most fish species, he focuses largely on trout.

Dave Mercer's Facts of Fishing website has a great rigging section that teaches you how to tie/setup some very popular rigs, such as drop-shoting & Carolina rigs.

You can also read my blog here: My Blog

(as I'm currently focusing predominantly on bass and my next few articles will be "How-To" oriented.)

I can provide you with countless fishing resources if you are interested, just pm me with what you are specifically interested in and I'll point you in the right direction.

Lastly, stop going to Canadian Tire. They're useless as a fishing resource, save for the odd sale. Find a local tackle shop or two and talk to people who actually fish and have a good knowledge base.

Hope that helps.

you could do worse than this to start My link

After that, maybe a subscription to Ontario Out of Doors,?

and see if you can hook up with some guys from the board -there's a several libraries of fishin' knowledge on this site. rolleyes.gif

oh and of course - then there's a charter - but that's a whole different book...........

you could do worse than this to start My link

After that, maybe a subscription to Ontario Out of Doors,?

and see if you can hook up with some guys from the board -there's a several libraries of fishin' knowledge on this site. rolleyes.gif

oh and of course - then there's a charter - but that's a whole different book...........

Wow, awesome link, thanks.

I also willhave a good look at that ofah faculty, thanks for that.

There's some great info right here on the board, I can see that already.

I am hoping that once word gets out how good my homebrewed beer is, I may get an invite or two to go fishing somewhere... you never know.

I probably have to get past the idiot novice stage first, and that's why I asked the original question.

Cheers

I read alot of fishing magazines in the past like In-Fisherman, Ontario Out of Doors, Musky Hunter and found them very helpful for new baits and approaches.

Participating and viewing this forum has provided all the info i need these days. Try the search function or go back through archives for endless tips on locations, lures, tackle etc... this website will provide you with tons of stuff related to fishing.

I'm just getting started, learning how to fish, after catching some great smallies in Lake Baptiste the last couple of summers. (I've spent the last few years focussing on learning to brew my own beer, but now I have a little guy underfoot, and figure that I had better learn something sensible we can share together someday)

I'm trying to learn all I can, surfing around randomly on the net, getting books out of the library. As you can imagine, it's *all * helpful at this point.

Just wondered if you guys had any suggestions, any "must-read" books that inspired you.

Also, how the heck do you learn to clean a fish properly? Is there a course, a dvd, a book? or just lots of practice?

Cheers

This is all you need to properly clean a fish. I'm pretty sure it's Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" pitching it, so it's gotta be a great product. You are welcome. Andy

Edited by Andy

Youtube and Fishing Network television channel 24/7 lol

The t.v shows usually have a lot of cool tricks and tips (it's how I learned about ratting 1-2 trick)

It's also cool when you start recognizing the hosts on the lakes! (We saw Mercer's subway boat this summer before it was given away!)

(clearly not books.. lol but another good suggestion is go to Chapters when you have a few hours, grab a chair and see if any of the books there speak to you)

Edited by Lyra