Marine 4 or 6 guage cable

baironhorse

Where do I find marine 4 or 6 guage wire? - can't find I went to BP, CT, Princess Auto they don't carry!

Will 4 or 6 g regular copper wire work from HD, Rona etc?

Need to know so I can go the this stuff and install 12v 36lb trolling motor. I have circuit, connectors etc... just need the wire. Thanks

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Where do I find marine 4 or 6 guage wire? - can't find I went to BP, CT, Princess Auto they don't carry!

Will 4 or 6 g regular copper wire work from HD, Rona etc?

Need to know so I can go the this stuff and install 12v 36lb trolling motor. I have circuit, connectors etc... just need the wire. Thanks

wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Welding cablewhistling.gif

I needed heavy wire once for a high amp draw mobile radio, quick solution, CTC had booster cables on sale, cut the clamps off, was probably cheaper than buying it by the foot at a shop. dunno.gif

[/quo

Ok for a quick fix,to get out of a jam!

Insulation and weave wise Ive used commercial welding cables.Durable insulation as well as tightly weaved copper strands.Its made to with stand abuse!

Ive used it for many yrs in my boats!

When I installed my electric bow mount in the mid-ninties I used regular outdoor wire from Home Depot and ran it under the floor from the stern to the bow. I had the boat up last year and it never gave me a problem.

Luckily Alumicraft had ran ABS pipe from stern to bow so it made running the wire a little easier. That and two extra circuits pre-wired at the bow were a nice touch.

I needed heavy wire once for a high amp draw mobile radio, quick solution, CTC had booster cables on sale, cut the clamps off, was probably cheaper than buying it by the foot at a shop. :dunno:

Please do not do this. I used heavy gauge CT booster cables once to extend wiring to a starter battery and within a year, the insulation fell off! Did not notice as it was a hidden run, but could have been a disaster grounding to aluminum hull!

I bought proper marine cable at Port Whitby Marine, likely other marine supply places have it.

When I installed my electric bow mount in the mid-ninties I used regular outdoor wire from Home Depot and ran it under the floor from the stern to the bow. I had the boat up last year and it never gave me a problem.

Luckily Alumicraft had ran ABS pipe from stern to bow so it made running the wire a little easier. That and two extra circuits pre-wired at the bow were a nice touch.

All marine wires to code must be stranded the sold wire for houses is a no no it can start a fire and will break at the connections from vibration and stress. That said it looks like you have had some success though for the past 10 plus years.

Art