Wood Cutting Help

Hey All,

As some of you know, I've started to do some carving, which is actually turning out great (pics to follow when I have time lol). Anyway, I'm running into a bit of a problem, I'm in need of some place to cut my wood. I have limited funds so I can't run out an buy a scroll or band saw to cut out patterns.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board and is close to the KW area that could help me out - either let me use their equipment or could cut my stuff out. I'll pay in beer if necessary :D

Let me know!

Thanks

Dave

Hey All,

As some of you know, I've started to do some carving, which is actually turning out great (pics to follow when I have time lol). Anyway, I'm running into a bit of a problem, I'm in need of some place to cut my wood. I have limited funds so I can't run out an buy a scroll or band saw to cut out patterns.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board and is close to the KW area that could help me out - either let me use their equipment or could cut my stuff out. I'll pay in beer if necessary :D

Let me know!

Thanks

Dave

Dave i just seen a sale on Delta scroll saws at homehardware...reg price was 129.00 and it was on sale for 69 bucks...thats only 29 dollars more than beer ...and you would have it at your disposal as required...

just a thought

:whistling:

Iv'e been carving 8yrs now and because of limited space, I have had my blanks cut by Club members. They are very experienced and know how to make the easiest cuts. :blahblah1:

Mind you !! you will get more pleasure from carving, if you can start from scratch

What have you startted carving?

:whistling:

Iv'e been carving 8yrs now and because of limited space, I have had my blanks cut by Club members. They are very experienced and know how to make the easiest cuts. :blahblah1:

Mind you !! you will get more pleasure from carving, if you can start from scratch

What have you startted carving?

Well, I picked up a starter kit from Chipping Away that had 3 "projects" to carve....an apple, a boot and a dog....all three came out and I'm working on a teddy bear, but right now it looks more like an alien than a bear lol

I took some advise and went on Kijiji and I'll be picking up a new (used) scroll saw tomorrow afternoon

Are you sure that a scroll saw is what you want? I would have thought that a band saw was what you'd need for the thicknesses you'd be cutting.

Are you sure that a scroll saw is what you want? I would have thought that a band saw was what you'd need for the thicknesses you'd be cutting.

A band saw is too big and too expensive...for small cut outs a scroll saw will be fine and i won't be cutting anything more than 6" thick anyway

A band saw is too big and too expensive...for small cut outs a scroll saw will be fine and i won't be cutting anything more than 6" thick anyway

I don't think I've ever seen a scroll do more than 3". My band saw costs less new than my scroll....not doubting your decision here, just telling you what I know from my experience with them.

My mistake...Mastercraft band saw at CTC. They're not well rated but they'll do what you want them to do. Get it on special and you can probably sell it for what you paid for it when/if you upgrade. I'm using one of those at the moment and so far I've made several hundred muskie baits not to mention a lot of work for around the house with no issues.

I use the scroll saw for thin work...mostly lexan diving lips on baits.