What do you use for dragging tubes

Lunker777

Depends on where and what I am dragging them through? On open waters like Lake Erie with much weeds or other junk in the water a spinning reel and 8-10 # line. Really not much junk on the bottom just rocks in the areas I fished. Weather can be a factor though, if I had to go heavy with weight to keep bottom contact, windy conditions, 1/2 to 3/4 ounce tube insert, I would use a bait caster set up with 10# line.

Working a tube through slop texas rigged, old stump or fence rows, areas I know have a bottom filled with junk? a bait caster and 17# mono or an Abu 507 and 17# mono.

Also used different hooks, practice days and fun fishing I would go with a light wire hook, Mustad black nickle, with 17# line they will straight out on snags, caught enough decent bass that losing them on practice day or fun fishing is no problem. Game day? Gammie 604 or VMC barbarian. A 4+ bass can bend the Mustads pulling it out of cover.

Having been using alot of texas rigged baits recently, and for the first time I rigged a tube this way. I found I got caught up a whole lot less, brought in barely any weeds, and is basically snag proof.

But I was thinking there must be a disadvantage since I never hear of people rigging a tube texas style.

6'6"-7' Quantum Energy PT spinning rod, Quantum PT Energy 20 reel, 10 lb Spiderwire Ultracast w/ 8-12 lb fluoro leader.

I see you and river fisher use the same approach .... I have found that with straight floro... the stretch is crazy... its tough to feel the bites, when I tie on straight braid the feel is amazing, but then in clear waters... IE lake st clair... you get less bites.

Im going to have to learn how to tie on a floro leader and try that

I see you and river fisher use the same approach .... I have found that with straight floro... the stretch is crazy... its tough to feel the bites, when I tie on straight braid the feel is amazing, but then in clear waters... IE lake st clair... you get less bites.

Im going to have to learn how to tie on a floro leader and try that

Just use a very small swivel it works great and with the smaller dia. braid and floro you dont have to worry about your knot cutting through itself and the swivel helps reduce line twist from your tube spinning on retreive .I use my curado 101/7'clarus medium,heavy fast action with 20lb braid and 8-10lb flouro or my GL3/sahara 3000 combo depending on what I feel like that day both spinnig or casting work equaly well just depends on what you like I like the fight better with a BC rod .

I have found that with straight floro... the stretch is crazy... its tough to feel the bites, when I tie on straight braid the feel is amazing, but then in clear waters... IE lake st clair... you get less bites.

What Flouro were you using???? I switched as I found using braid/flouro was just another knot or two to go wrong. Once you get the hang of running straight flouro you'll see the advantages. Myself and most my buddies who are also hard core big water nuts run straight flouro.

I know you are talking about tube dragging etc.. but try it with jerk baits too....

What Flouro were you using???? I switched as I found using braid/flouro was just another knot or two to go wrong. Once you get the hang of running straight flouro you'll see the advantages. Myself and most my buddies who are also hard core big water nuts run straight flouro.

I know you are talking about tube dragging etc.. but try it with jerk baits too....

I use stren ... the one in the yellow box ??? hahah Im not much of a floro guy because I fish Rondeau bay alot... and if ya know the bay... you dont stand a chance with floro... most of my reels have 40-60# power pro.... so when I need to re-spool a couple reels I switched to straight floro because this year I wanted to focus on St.Clair and smallie fishing ! haha the transition hasn't been the easiest but Im starting to get the hang of it !

Having been using alot of texas rigged baits recently, and for the first time I rigged a tube this way. I found I got caught up a whole lot less, brought in barely any weeds, and is basically snag proof.

"But I was thinking there must be a disadvantage since I never hear of people rigging a tube texas style."

Actually no disadvantage and it is done a lot here, I have also rigged tubes carolina style. It`s just a different look or method. Colors and shape of the bait can be important, kind of a match the hatch deal? One time a buddy I was fishing with had 5 bass landed and I didn`t have a hit casting to the same spots, I was using a junebug zoom worm and his was a watermelon blue. just a few shades lighter in color.

Another time we beat the banks up using the same colors on the same water, worms, lizards, tubes, not one hit. A switch to a hellgramite shaped lure got me 3 bass in 5 minutes, a limit for that particular tournament, just in time to get back for the weigh in and 3rd place. Buddy still using worms, lizards, tubes never did get a hit.

Method of rigging allows you to put a lure in places you ordinarily wouldn`t fish it? I like fishing tubes with a tube jig insert, just some places it isn`t the best plan because of junk in the water.

Had days in the spring before they started the closed season here for the spawn and the smallies had moved into back bays to spawn, a 4 inch texas rigged lizard would out fish a tube for them, so would a jewel sculfin, which looks sort of like a gobie.

I have my preferences in lures also, but what counts is the fishes preferences? I will use my stand by lures, until I can form an idea on if it is the location or not the right bait. No point in throwing a surface lure or spinner bait, ect. if they will take something else better.

Really not a lot of dramatic changes in fishing, if it is old enough it becomes the new rage.

I don't use a swivel, but my lead's run 10'-15' depends on the water.

Doesn't the knot hit the last guide? I had a few breakoffs like that last year with the know hitting the last guide and the lure flying off with the leader. I take it I'm doing something wrong. Using 30lb Power Pro with 20lb Seguar leader. I'm using a double uni knot.

Doesn't the knot hit the last guide? I had a few breakoffs like that last year with the know hitting the last guide and the lure flying off with the leader. I take it I'm doing something wrong. Using 30lb Power Pro with 20lb Seguar leader. I'm using a double uni knot.

heavier line makes a larger knot. no need to go that heavy. my leads are 6-12' of flouro.