cutting transom should I or not

skinny

do to a mistake I purchased a boat that requires a long shaft motor the motor I have is a short (Iwas told it was long)

I took the boat out last night to try and see as I was told it still might just work but no luck. I have started to look for a different motor but no luck so far and not a ton of cash to spend. I have thought about trimming down the transom and putting back the orginal trim.

but I'm not sure I want to cut it either any pro's/cons to this.

here is some pictures.

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

Sorry for your luck. You may be able to fabricate a jack plate that sets the motor back and down a bit...but its a stretch whether it will work or not.

Much easier to do the opposite.

Check if Nissan has an extension kit or if you can buy a different bottom end. Probably worth your while with that older motor though.

Best option might be selling it and getting a long shaft there's lots of little motors around...especially in long shaft.

No way around it. your gonna have problems. Jack plates are for fine adjustments up and down but are mainly designed for motors with steering cables and not tillers. When used with tillers its mainly for trolling and not running full out and having the need to still steer by hand. From the pictures it does not look like you'll be able to drop the lower unit down below the transom and still have clearance on the throttle arm

get what price you can for your short shaft and put it towards a long shaft. Do not cut the transom out. That boat is designed by weight and size to have that distance above the water line. Cutting below that will get you inot trouble with back wash or in reverse and take on water.

Edited by Fang

I had this same problem myself a couple years back. I bought a 30hp evinrude short shaft but needed along. I tried to hunt down another outboard but pickings where slim for 30 hp tillers,everything seemed to be brand new or just too much coin. I thought about jack plates,but most marine shops advised me against and most suggested to cut down the transom.So with time running out before my vacation I decided to cut down the transom,actually i got General Marine in London to do it for me.Kept the boat and motor for almost 10 years after that,never had a problem,sold it about 2 years ago when I bought my new rig.