Fishing pressure

emjay88

From watching WFN for the last month I can't help but hearing over and over that the next generation of fisher people is few and far between compared to generations pasts, and how important it is to keep the sport alive because the number of fishermen is in decline. However, I can't but notice that in the last 15 years, fishing spots that were once a "secret" or just low traffic are now packed full of boats. Even in northern Onatrio where there are hundreds of lakes I find when I go out there are twice as many fishermen compared to 10 years ago. Does anyone else agree with this statement? or maybe I'm missing something.I appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

From what I see on the water the sport is alive & well.

Places are busy, and I'm always looking (though often successfully) for good fishing holes that not a lot of people know about.

I think education is the next step - perhaps people shouldn't be fishing with 9 foot long swimming pool nets (something I saw this week during a heavy pressure situation).

A few years ago I read an article that said, according to MNR statistics, the number of new fishermen entering the sport was in sharp decline. I think the perception that there are more fishermen these days comes from the fact that there are far more boat owners these days as compared to several years ago, when owning a 14 footer was a luxury. Which means more and more fishermen have access to all the secret fishing holes. Then there is the internet, which sometimes gives away peoples so-called secret holes (another topic altogether). That may be why it appears that there are more fishermen on the water. I recall that in the late 80's and early 90's the sport of fishing seemed to explode with more and more products.

Of course this is only my opinion and my observations are from my area here in E.O.

From watching WFN for the last month I can't help but hearing over and over that the next generation of fisher people is few and far between compared to generations pasts, and how important it is to keep the sport alive because the number of fishermen is in decline. However, I can't but notice that in the last 15 years, fishing spots that were once a "secret" or just low traffic are now packed full of boats. Even in northern Onatrio where there are hundreds of lakes I find when I go out there are twice as many fishermen compared to 10 years ago. Does anyone else agree with this statement? or maybe I'm missing something.I appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

Personally, I think you need to put down the rum and stop posting in the wee hours of the morning! You need some rest... it's gonna be a big weekend, Mr. Bachelor. See ya on the river!

Personally, I'd say increased pressure, lack of secret spots, more informed fishermen are due to the thing we are all on right now...the internet! There aren't too many secret spots left.

I guess it depends where you fish, but I have seen an increase in Steelheaders on the rivers over the last 10 years. The small lakes for Bass and Pike near me are always busy. I think the single biggest reason for the INCREASE is the internet. Guys can gain incredible info about lakes and rivers without doing any legwork of their own!!!

Paul

well I think there are less angles coming on board

but things like the internet are getting people to the good spots, so we are seeing more pressure

rather then the novice angler wandering around aimlessly looking for fish in all the wrong places

There are likely a lot fewer anglers, but the education of those anglers is much higher and the internet definitely has a lot to do with "secret" spots being given away. If I said publicly that I was smashing whitefish on Long Shoal, I guarantee I'd see 30 boats there this weekend, its the way she goes.

I keep hearing about the value of keeping the sport alive, and taking the sport to the next level, then in the same breath complaining because of fishing pressure. I am not sure how we can have both. Everyone loves Dave because you can't buy a sub without seeing his picture (great for the sport!!) then we complain because someone munches on their sub while fishing our favourite spot.

If more fish are being caught today I think it is because of electronics that are available. I know that the spot I fish on Cameron Lake never would have been found (by me at least) in the past unless I stumbled upon it by accident; Now I look at my Gold chip map and pick out the structure at at glance. We spent years diddling around on Rice lake as kids never catching a thing; Now I pre-program all of my spots before I leave the house, and they usually produce something (I suppose that's education mixed with technology).

I also agree with the point mentioned earlier about more people owning boats than before. I mean, just anecdotally, most of the people that I know that fish even close to seriously own boats (they also all have fish finders in them).

Speaking of Cameron, I noticed this year that the boat traffic was down. In fact there were many days through the week that I was the only one on the lake. There were also restaurants closed in town and the service that was in the couple we went to was suffering. I put it down to the economy, and wonder if the economy (good or bad) might be more responsible for how many fishing types take up or leave the sport.

Good topic.

Jim

I couldn't agree more. The lake that I now call my "home lake" up here has anywhere from 1-8 boats on it every day. The lake is small but on the weekend on this little place there are literally 8 boats on it and every little bay on the lake has a boat in it. It's funny because I only got a boat on the lake 2 years ago, so perhaps those people that were shore fisherman like myself now have boats however for the pressure it receives I am the only person casting into the weeds most of the time. The lines on the slop from frog fishing are there and dont change so while there is pressure it's not all on one specific area.

Being said 20 casts on the main lake might land you a fish or two, nothing big with the odd small catch. When I go into a pond only accessible by a small boat like mine you cant keep the fish off your line most of the time.

The number I would say is going up but who knows

I think the single biggest reason for the INCREASE is the internet. Guys can gain incredible info about lakes and rivers without doing any legwork of their own!!!

Paul

Give this man a cigar.

Overall, the number of people fishing is declining. License sales have been dropping off steadily for at least 20 - 25 years. Beyond that, even though Canada's population has grown steadily since the 1970s, the size of the fishing industry has shrunk considerably. How else do you explain that?

Out on the water, I think we're seeing more and more people crowding into fewer and fewer spots. I agree with Ironstone74 - a big part of that is due to irresponsible internet posts. Guys go online and post pictures of their day on the water - nothing wrong with that in itself, but when the locations are obviously recognizable, it can't help but put more pressure on a spot. I've seen it too many times - someone posts a picture and the next day you can't even find a place to park there. It might look like there are more people fishing than ever, but it's just an illusion.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I tend to agree with the advent of GPS, a spot like a mid lake reef was found with trial and error, or the very few that put in time to find and study the hydro chart, now is a matter of fact spot. We are becoming more technical (or lazier, both seem true) fishermen and seem to want to use all resources possible to stack the odds in our favour before hitting the water.

The internet phenomena is real and people only realize this when they have a spot poached but an irresponsible divulging of information. Loose lips sink ships, this happened once to my buddies with a speck lake, the wrong people found out (not internet related) and impacts were seen quickly. Sometimes you've got to keep the cards close to the chest.

I guess it depends where you fish, but I have seen an increase in Steelheaders on the rivers over the last 10 years. The small lakes for Bass and Pike near me are always busy. I think the single biggest reason for the INCREASE is the internet. Guys can gain incredible info about lakes and rivers without doing any legwork of their own!!!

Paul

Absolutely. The internet definitely revolutionized the whole process of fishing (at least for me). Factor in the price of gas to get there, the time you sacrifice away fishing (when you could be painting the house or mowing the lawn or spending with family), etc. I’ll admit I do a great deal of my “fishing” from the comfort of my home nowadays, much of which is in digital/electrical media form – But it certainly isn’t screening the internet daily for message board postings, or photoshopping someone’s polarized glasses to see the reflections of the background to know where I should fish tomorrow (which according to a few people has happened). There’s an insane amount of info out there readily available to those who know what to look for, where to look for it and how to use it.

It’s pretty much as Craig described with fewer anglers cramming into the more popular spots. In my case, I’ve mostly just stopped fishing them all together preferring to drive a little further (or sometimes closer) to fish other rivers or lakes where you might only see a few other anglers all day – Also close proximity to a greasy burger joint is a must :D

Personally, I'd say increased pressure, lack of secret spots, more informed fishermen are due to the thing we are all on right now...the internet! There aren't too many secret spots left.

But there are still plenty of people (95%) that are still too lazy to walk to those secret spots - just check your local conservation area - whether you consider it fishable or not - and it will be loaded with people riding rock walls (which is generally why many of them are unfishable due to lack of fish).

Even though the number of anglers is declining, todays fisherfolks are much more educated. There is a ton of information on the internet for any species.

Therefore the spots that produce for you may get over crowded because the anglers did research and are looking for that certain structure. There are only so many weedlines, humps, points, saddles etc.. on a lake.

Also, you may see more boats on the water now as the baby boomers are starting to retire. Lucky buggers. :lol:

Well one other thing to think about. If the average age of anglers is infact increasing then that must mean more of them are retiring. So maybe people just have more time to fish......

But mostly I think it's knowledge. Someone already mentioned it but nowadays you can buy an electronic chip to get amazing maps, search the net prior to fishing. Essentially a large portion of the scouting that used to be done on the water can now be done before you even leave home. Also the speed at which info travels is much quicker due to forums like this. Essentially it must take a newbie a lot less time to learn the ropes than years ago.

One thing I've noticed is that any one that I have talked to that is older and used to fish, their main reason for not fishing is because now you have to buy a license. So I wonder, how many people are actually buying licenses? I know its a big risk if you don't but I mean guys like all of us are out there 24/7 we do buy licenses, what about the once a monthers? How many of them are fishing daily without licenses? The economy could be blamed for some of these people that just can't afford it and that is why there is the decrease in the sales of licenses.

Edited by livinisfishin

One thing I've noticed is that any one that I have talked to that is older and used to fish, their main reason for not fishing is because now you have to buy a license. So I wonder, how many people are actually buying licenses? I know its a big risk if you don't but I mean guys like all of us are out there 24/7 we do buy licenses, what about the once a monthers? How many of them are fishing daily without licenses? The economy could be blamed for some of these people that just can't afford it and that is why there is the decrease in the sales of licenses.

If you can't afford am $18 license, how are you possibly affording to fish?