I Love Bargains

Garyv

As mentioned in another post this morning we headed off to Gander Mountain in Pt Huron Mich. First we took a look at some other tackle in the local Wal-Mart and Meyers, went to CiCi's all you can eat Pizza, Salad and Soup buffet for the amazing price of $4.79 ( and the pizza is very good as was everything else ). Finally got to Gander Mountain and decided if we didn't spend any dollars we would go to Bass Pro in Utica. Well we never made to to Bass Pro. Gander was having an in store sale on some St Croix, Fenwick and G Loomis rods. Spent a lot of time going through the selection and finally ( since I wanted a new spinning rod ) decided on a St Croix Avid/AS66MLF2 for $99.99 US total with tax $105.99. I am partial to St Croix rods and this will be another in the arsenal to assist in my never ending quest to catch Smallmouth and hopefully some Walleye.

For the size of their store I really feel GM has a great selection, very helpful sales people and attractive prices. I really feel that I'm lucky to have one so close to where I live. That being said sometime in the next 5 or 6 weeks were going to Cabela's in Dundee Mich and making a day out of it. A friend of mine can't believe a 240000 sq ft. store devoted to the outdoors can be that big and make enough to make it pay...he WILL be surprised!

Edited by Garyv

How's about a little somepin' fur the dog, Gary?

She's spoiled enough and I do mean spoiled. Example... Her dog food is all home made by the wife and I consisting of rice, carrots, olive oil, and either Chicken breast, hamburger or turkey for protein. The nice part is if we run out of food we can always eat hers. MMMMM maybe her Vi-Sorbit vitamins too!

Edited by Garyv

Garyv,

FYI, you will find very few bargains at Cabelas. Only sales they usually have are on their own brand stuff. It's a nice store to visit for a few hours because there is a lot of eye candy. Stay out of their bargain cave because there's no bargain in there. Most stuff is returned merchandise or display items that are missing parts.

I love Gander Mountain. They have a great selection & don't over crowd their store with their own brand name products like BPS & Cabelas.

BTW, you didn't miss much at BPS. I was there this past Saturday & spent about $90, not including the bucktails that I bought from Bob Brunner (OFC member) who was at BPS Sat. & Sun. I was comparing the Michigan BPS ad with the Toronto BPS ad & they pretty much had the same items on sale. When factoring in the exchange rate the Toronto store was still charging a little more.

Garyv,

FYI, you will find very few bargains at Cabelas. Only sales they usually have are on their own brand stuff.

Oh Really??? Well they must own Lowrance and Rapala then.. because I've seen some tremondous deals on these and other name brand products!

Oh Really??? Well they must own Lowrance and Rapala then.. because I've seen some tremondous deals on these and other name brand products!

They have the same prices on the Lowrance & Rapala's as does BPS & GM. Cabelas is expensive period. I like going to the store but usually walk out with nothing (Usually there 5 or 6 times a year). My brother-in-law lives 10 minutes from Cabelas & does his cloths shopping there. Tacklewarehouse.com has some good deals every so often & their fishing line prices are cheaper than BPS & Cabelas at the regular price.

They have the same prices on the Lowrance & Rapala's as does BPS & GM. Cabelas is expensive period

I dunno, I recentely purchased a Lowrance online from Cabellas for $499 US and the same week in the Toronto BPS, the identical unit was going for $1017 CDN

That's my only purchase from Cabellas, but I was pretty satisfied with their prices.

Gary, can't agree more about Gander Mountain. I was heading to Port Huron and new I wanted a set of Offshore planer boards with tattle tale flag kits and upgrade clips so I called them they had some of it but not all. They called another store and had it sent up to them for the weekend when I got there. Didn't even ask for a credit card number, just took my word that I would pick them up knowing all the time I was from Canada. Seemed like fantastic service to me.

I am also a big fan of Gander Mountaiwe have one about 1/2 hr away in Niagara Falls, NY. About half the driving distance to Bass pro Toronto - only bummer is bringing it across the border & duty

great selection, great service & not jacked up prices, & some good "bin deals" they had some "proven" muskie baits real cheap there last spring & they also carry everything I need for great Lakes trolling