Barrie Police Boat

NAW

The days of the good cop are gone. You know,the ones that would talk to ya and work it out and say ok,dont let me see you again.Now it,s just power trip cops.Here anyways.Guess they recruit what ever they can these days.

They're pretty good in my experience. Let's look at the job - you are granted a lot of power over other people, you are given a firearm, a club, handcuffs, and a high-powered vehicle with all sorts of bells and whistles. Face it, that job is tailor made to attract every whack-job jack-booted fascist with an overbearing ego. I think the various police forces around are doing a fairly good job of weeding those types out during the application and selection process, the training process, and then the first few weeks on the street. A few will slip through, but most are good people.

I got checked by the OPP last week on the river. They were very courteous and just wanted to make sure my paperwork was in order and that we had lifejackets that FIT. I had my 11 yr old nephew with me. I didn't have my vessell registration with me and played dumb and handed him my trailer registration. He explained what I needed and where to get it if I didn't have it. While the cop doing the talking was explaining things one of the others was writing like crazy. I asked him what he was writing and he said just general information. I was going to ask why there was for full time cops on board but thought I better not press my luck. We were drifting towards a submerged rock pile that I was about to fish when they rolled in and I told them and they were not aware of it and thanked me for telling them and they backed out and were gone. They didn't even mention the fine for not having my vessell registration but I have it in my boat now.

What I am finding interesting about this thread is that some guys only ever seem to hit the bad ones while some others only ever seem to hit the good ones :dunno: Do you think it might be attitude, body language, just the way we react to being stopped?

I'd like to hear it from a cops perspective. What is it (apart from being cute, blond, big headlights, and a short skirt) that makes you let one guy/gal go with a warning and throw the book at the next one? How big a factor do WE play in your decision and what do you really look for? Wouldn't it be nice if we could all learn something from this!

If your taxes are going up in Barrie? I assure you, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Barrie police.lol Accidents do happen and although this particular case seems like it can be blamed on ONE officer's negligence? It does not reflect on the entire Barrie police force.

Why all the hate towards cops on the board lately? We've all met our fair share of bad cops, but I've personally met many good cops too. Like I said in last years post. Try walking a mile in their shoes and you will understand why some are the way that they are.

No hate toward cops here. I have 3 friends on the city force and my next door neighbour is on the South Simcoe squad.

I do pay over $4500 in taxes though. Barrie taxes are bad. Too much snow removal in the winter.

What I am finding interesting about this thread is that some guys only ever seem to hit the bad ones while some others only ever seem to hit the good ones :dunno: Do you think it might be attitude, body language, just the way we react to being stopped?

Wise words from some one with a a life's worth of experience, curiously most of the younger generation are also figuring this out quite a bit later in life than in our day, if at all sometimes. :wallbash:

Edited by dave524

No hate toward cops here. I have 3 friends on the city force and my next door neighbour is on the South Simcoe squad.

I do pay over $4500 in taxes though. Barrie taxes are bad. Too much snow removal in the winter.

Hey, weren't you whining about three inches of snow on your street this past winter that wasn't plowed until the next day??? B)

None of us likes paying taxes, and we would think $300 is too much if we had been paying $250 last year. The boat is insured so the direct cost to the force, and in the end to us, is reality small. Although the $25000 total price tag divided by the 130 thousand people in the city works out to less than 20 cents for ever man, woman and child; I don't wonder if it would be cheaper to just pay the bill instead of the increased premium going forward.

Hey, weren't you whining about three inches of snow on your street this past winter that wasn't plowed until the next day??? B)

None of us likes paying taxes, and we would think $300 is too much if we had been paying $250 last year. The boat is insured so the direct cost to the force, and in the end to us, is reality small. Although the $25000 total price tag divided by the 130 thousand people in the city works out to less than 20 cents for ever man, woman and child; I don't wonder if it would be cheaper to just pay the bill instead of the increased premium going forward.

Yep. I do complain about taxes, not the police.

If your taxes are going up in Barrie? I assure you, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Barrie police.lol Accidents do happen and although this particular case seems like it can be blamed on ONE officer's negligence? It does not reflect on the entire Barrie police force.

Why all the hate towards cops on the board lately? We've all met our fair share of bad cops, but I've personally met many good cops too. Like I said in last years post. Try walking a mile in their shoes and you will understand why some are the way that they are.

No hate towards cops here either.. Like I said, it's my goal to become one.

Just the situation. 3 boats in one year is a bit over the top.. Worth posting about..

I'd like to hear it from a cops perspective. What is it (apart from being cute, blond, big headlights, and a short skirt) that makes you let one guy/gal go with a warning and throw the book at the next one? How big a factor do WE play in your decision and what do you really look for? Wouldn't it be nice if we could all learn something from this!

1. Never saw any cute, blond, big headlighted wearing a short skirted guys, <_< girls yes, :worthy: , with the deer caught in the headlights look and more Bull stories than you can shake the ticket book at.

2. There's a few things, previous record, run you on the system and it shows, some just don't learn and have to have an audience with the Judge..repeatedly.

3. How did your actions affect other traffic around you, did you cause a hundred car pile up or are you day dreaming with your hand in your pants.

4. Attitude..oh it's not my fault, if you were at the donut shop you never would have caught me speeding in the first place, or don't you have some more important crime to resolve. Cellphone, what cellphone, I was just reprogramming my head by placing my communication device close to the hearing access port.

5. Fill a quota, nope, there's enough idiots on the roads that there's no effort required for that one.

6. Having a bad day goes 2 ways, sometimes a "gentle" calm voice can make the difference and get you a break.

There's a few more, but I don't do that job anymore, retired from it and moved to something a bit more docile.

Cops take the commercial boaters coarse out of George brown, but I think any hands on training still has to come on the job.

I would suspect this is the result of a trainee doing the work and not being checked afterwords. Or it might just be that crap happens, and I hope they remember that if they catch me with stuff all over the road.

1. Never saw any cute, blond, big headlighted wearing a short skirted guys,

LOL, obviously you never made it to some of the parties I've been to in my younger days!

Actually though, you brought up some good points! Thanks for sharing! FFA, any comments? You seem to have a good head on your sholders, I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

"Why all the hate towards cops on the board lately? We've all met our fair share of bad cops, but I've personally met many good cops too. Like I said in last years post. Try walking a mile in their shoes and you will understand why some are the way that they are."

while it does appear this way (there has certainly been alot of heated debates!) the majority of these posts are asking to share your experience. one can share a story (good or bad) and the reader is to decide whether to hate cops or not. you're not a pariah for sharing the story is what im trying to say. if the bulk of your experience on or off the water with police is negative you're not a 'police hater', you're just a guy responding to the post. now half the OFC community wants to take you on for 'attacking' ontario's finest, but you didn't, you just told a story.

what would be intersting is to post a 'dumb electrician gets zapped' story. we'd all respond with funny stories of getting electrocuted. do you think all kinds of electricians would get their backs up and start telling us to walk a mile in their shoes and calling us names? probably not. any way another post about as far off the trailer as a barrie police boat..... ;);)

Edited by smally21

Well...here's the way I work...

1) 100% attitude...if you're a prick you're gonna talk yourself into a full ticket.

2) Throwing yourself at me doesn't work. Asking for a break doesn't work. Telling me I'm just filling my quota isn't going to work either.

3) If you have an extensive criminal record you can count on getting one or more tickets...I'm sorry that's the way it is...especially if you've been charged with assault police.

All in all, if you're polite, take your lumps and not give dumb excuses then you should be okay....unless you are over 70...I don't really ticket people that could be my grand mother.

For example...stopped a guy today for going 106 in a 50...his excuse...oh its my wifes car and I just touched the gas to get up the hill...uhh no you didn't lol...

I can't speak for the opp but with the guys I work with you're most likely going to get a 10 over if you're nice. But I mean, if you don't do anything wrong then you won't get a ticket right? I'm not saying I'm perfect and I have gotten tickets before too...but seriously...most people don't pay attention to how fast they're going, don't carry the proper documentation, don't come to a complete stop at stop signs or red lights...

Anyway, if you want more advice then feel free to ask but if you're going to jump all over this post then don't waste your time lol

1) 100% attitude...if you're a prick you're gonna talk yourself into a full ticket.

2) Throwing yourself at me doesn't work. Asking for a break doesn't work. Telling me I'm just filling my quota isn't going to work either.

3) If you have an extensive criminal record you can count on getting one or more tickets...I'm sorry that's the way it is...especially if you've been charged with assault police.

All in all, if you're polite, take your lumps and not give dumb excuses then you should be okay....unless you are over 70...I don't really ticket people that could be my grand mother.

For example...stopped a guy today for going 106 in a 50...his excuse...oh its my wifes car and I just touched the gas to get up the hill...uhh no you didn't lol...

I can't speak for the opp but with the guys I work with you're most likely going to get a 10 over if you're nice. But I mean, if you don't do anything wrong then you won't get a ticket right? I'm not saying I'm perfect and I have gotten tickets before too...but seriously...most people don't pay attention to how fast they're going, don't carry the proper documentation, don't come to a complete stop at stop signs or red lights...

Anyway, if you want more advice then feel free to ask but if you're going to jump all over this post then don't waste your time lol

Wow good to know..I can honestly say I have nevr had a bad experience with a police officer. I have been ticketed and didnt like it but when your busted your busted, might as well smile and take your lumps. I find odds are when you do they will be a little more relaxed with you. As for the Barrie police those guys sure are getting a bad rap on this one. as I said before stuff happens. Just thankfull no one got hurt..

FishnNAutographs hows the neck n back after the rear ender? Hope all is well

Thanks FFA, perhaps that is why I have never had an issue. Yes, I did get a few tickets when I was much younger but I deserved every one of them and I can't ever remember the cop not giving me a break even though they didn't need to. I actually had one tell me he was sorry he had to ticket me (still gave me the ticket though LOL but I really did deserve it).

I've gotten many breaks too. Driving on the sholder of the road; we were in a traffic jam on the QEW for over an hour, the next exit was in sight, Sue had been telling me for about an hour and 10 minutes that she had to get to a washroom NOW!!! So I drove down the sholder to the exit where I got stopped. Explained to the officer, he asked for my license, took it, directed me to the nearest place with a washroom and told me he would meet me there. When he got there Sue was just coming out of the washroom with a huge smile of reliefe on her face, he took one look at her and laughed, told me he had a wife too and totally understood, gave me back my license and told us to have a nice day! crap, I thought Sue was going to kiss him LOL!

The last ticket I got was 30 years ago, I was driving down Hwy 69, bright red camero, windows down, tunes cranked and driving much faster than I should have been. (man that car could GO!)Never even saw the cruser until he was right behind me.

Nice young cop, asked me if I had a good story to tell him LOL. I just laughed and told him the truth, it was my wife's car, she wasn't there, it was only the second or third time she had ever let me drive it, I was on my way back down to TO with my son, the sun was shining, traffic was light, I was just in a good mood and it just felt right but if I had known he was there I'd have slowed down. He laughed told me that at least I was honest about it gave me a ticket for 10 over and told me to slow it down a bit.

Perhaps my early years in the army taught me to respect authority, might just be that my parents taught me to try to respect everyone until they proved they didn't deserve respect. Could just be that when I show respect, I seem to get respect in return! Whatever the reason, I like it just the way it is (and it's saved me a lot of money over the years LOL).

I guess the lesson to be learned here is: you have to plant a seed to get a crop, the seeds you plant usually determine the kind of crop you'll get. In this case, the seed seems to be called attitude!

Perhaps my early years in the army taught me to respect authority, might just be that my parents taught me to try to respect everyone until they proved they didn't deserve respect. Could just be that when I show respect, I seem to get respect in return! Whatever the reason, I like it just the way it is (and it's saved me a lot of money over the years LOL).

I guess the lesson to be learned here is: you have to plant a seed to get a crop, the seeds you plant usually determine the kind of crop you'll get. In this case, the seed seems to be called attitude!

Bingo..You hit the nail on the head Big Cliff..with a great big hammer. :)