Leaky rivets... need help

Fisherpete

The last few times out, the "QUEST FOR 50" has been taking on some water... no big deal as I have a bilge pump installed, but annoying nonetheless...

I did the water test in the driveway, and found a few leaking rivets. One is REALLY bad, pretty sure it needs replacing. Water was gushing out from that one. There is a second also in pretty bad shape, able to spin it freely, but may still be able to be tightened. A few others should also probably be snugged up.

I'm in Scarborough, is there anyone who has a proper boat-type rivet gun around? I can bring the boat there, and don't mind paying for your time. Wayne (Irishfield) has offered to help me out before (don't know if that offer is still on the table, lol!), but if there is someone closer that would save a bunch of time and gas... I seem to remember somebody helping out CCMT with his new-used boat last year, similar issue...

My other thought was to drill out the two really bad ones and replace them with stainless steel pan head bolts/nuts of the appropriate size... goop some 3M 5200 marine sealant in there at the same time. Is this a viable repair option?

Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by Fisherpete

Offer was on the table until Leah and I headed North and as it was we left 7 weeks late! You should have taken a day off from fishing....

I was only coming home to get my airplane.. but now have my older brother in the hospital for an Angiograph/plasty tomorrow. Pending what the final outcome is there, hopefully tomorrow he'll be stinted and ready to go, I might be able to squeeze you in quick Tuesday or Wednesday am before I fly back to the lake. Otherwise you need to find someone else. Two ball peen hammers will buy you some time..

Thanks Wayne, if nobody closer is available, let me know if you will be around Tues/Wed. The one rivet is beyond hammering, there is not much left of the head. Is the stainless bolt/nut/sealant a bad idea? I found that suggestion searching the web...

Take a day off from fishing? To keep the boat from sinking? SACRILEGE! :P

Edited by Fisherpete

No idea if this is any help to you, I have seen sealed head pop rivets. The part that the shaft goes through has a sealed head, which I assume is to prevent liquids from flowing through. No idea where you might find them in your area though. A nut and bolts supplier?

My personal preference would be to have it fixed right the first time though.

http://www.bylerrivet.com/products/blind-rivets.aspx

Edited by OhioFisherman

J&J prop repair re-riveted the bow on my legend... doesn't leak a drop now...

he's in Caledonia though...

What do they charge for doing that Uncle Buck? I am thinking of a complete riveting job on my Legend, or I might just trade her in for a new one.

Rob C

Sorry Pete.. I'm out.. brother had his Angio today and couldn't be stinted. He is now scheduled for a quad or quint bypass late Wednesday or early Thursday.. so I'll be there. Need the bit of time I have in between to get my own repair work done here and stuff ready to go back up North.

No probs Wayne... as it turns out, I would not have been able to make it anyways - my mother in law, who has been battling cancer for the past nine months, has taken a turn for the worse. The doctors have not given her much time (probably only a few days). Fishing will be on the back burner for the next little while.

Hope all goes well for your brother.

Edited by Fisherpete

Jim at J and J is a fishing friend of mine and does some very good work dont be afraid to give him a call. It is only just over an hours drive from Scarborough and you can stop on the way home and do some fishing. Lots of great fishing between here and there.

Sorry Pete.. I'm out.. brother had his Angio today and couldn't be stinted. He is now scheduled for a quad or quint bypass late Wednesday or early Thursday.. so I'll be there. Need the bit of time I have in between to get my own repair work done here and stuff ready to go back up North.

Hey Wayne, keepin all fingers crossed and little prayer your brother bud !