Images Of Quetico

solopaddler

SoloP, awesome post, makes me think about what I could have done if I didn't have a young family. I'll have to wait a bit longer and maybe, just maybe my wife will consider roughing it (I don't think so though, raised as a city girl) for once.

Thanks for letting me dream.

Stan

Solo, you are my hero. I'll be in the bush for 3 months this summer and i'm on a mission to find a rock like that one!

Cool! I take it you're not married with kids? :D I'd love to hear where and what you're doing in the bush for 3 months!

As far as the rock goes, well we can't take credit for it.....it was just there and we used it :P . Someone else with imagination built a fire pit around that rock many, many moons ago.

Thank's for the kind words everyone :)

That was an awesome report Solopaddler I have always dreamed of a trip like that.Love the shot of the lost bet.I am trying to convince my buddies to take a canoe trip like that one.Its hard to convince 2 guys who have an 18ft and 24ft trailers and both can't leave there satelite TV at home.They are also worried about all the beer they would have to transport.I think I would do one trip like that before I get older but not with my 85lb fiberglass canoe a 3km portage would take me all day :stretcher: .Great shots .That looks like Paradise. :clapping::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Thank you for the report. Woke up this morning to flurries and cold and for a few moments while reading this, I was once again warm and young and on a day canoe trip fishing with my big brother :)

Always enjoy your reports.

bly

Solo, i leave for Wabakimi last week if May. Should be up there for at least 1 month. Then it's either Woodland Caribou, or head south to the north shore area for some crown land bush whacking for 2 months or so. Summers are short and i plan to take full advantage of the long days. It's probably my last year being able to do so, so if figure why not. Plenty of walleye, pike, brookies and lakers to be had. We're just finished ordering all our maps so decisions will be made soon as to where exactly we'll be.

I was up in Wabakimi last year and it was honestly the best place i've ever tripped. Nothing beats the Boreal forest! If only the blackflies and skitters would cooperate.

Solo, i leave for Wabakimi last week if May. Should be up there for at least 1 month. Then it's either Woodland Caribou, or head south to the north shore area for some crown land bush whacking for 2 months or so. Summers are short and i plan to take full advantage of the long days. It's probably my last year being able to do so, so if figure why not. Plenty of walleye, pike, brookies and lakers to be had. We're just finished ordering all our maps so decisions will be made soon as to where exactly we'll be.

I was up in Wabakimi last year and it was honestly the best place i've ever tripped. Nothing beats the Boreal forest! If only the blackflies and skitters would cooperate.

Good for you bud! Wabakimi is one of my favourite areas as well ;) Hope we get some good trip reports from you when you get back!

As it turns out I'll be up in that area in June myself....Going to take the train with our canoes and gear and get dropped off at a point just west of Armstrong to start our trip. Not a super long expedition, but nevertheless I'm looking forward to it immensly B)

cheers, Mike

What lake are you starting on? I'll be flying into Kenoji! Love that pre-glacial Ogoki river. Awesome walleye and pike. I've fished in a lot of remote areas, but Wabakimi in spring is about the best walleye fishing i've seen. Not the largest fish (although i did get a nice 7 pounder last year), but it's pretty easy. You get hungry, paddle the canoe 100 feet, catch 3 walleye, come back and eat. It's awesome!

What lake are you starting on? I'll be flying into Kenoji! Love that pre-glacial Ogoki river. Awesome walleye and pike. I've fished in a lot of remote areas, but Wabakimi in spring is about the best walleye fishing i've seen. Not the largest fish (although i did get a nice 7 pounder last year), but it's pretty easy. You get hungry, paddle the canoe 100 feet, catch 3 walleye, come back and eat. It's awesome!

Kenoji eh? Know it well! I paddled through there on my way up the Pallisade system....

We're going to start our trip at Onamakawash Lake (Shultz's Trail)......

You're right about the walleye fishing, it's incredible! :P

One thing about Wabakimi...pretty much every lake of substance has an outpost camp on it. Not really all that big a deal, but depending on your route, take the time to bushwhack into some of the smaller lakes up there. There's plenty of lakes that really aren't part of any route per say, that are too small to land a plane on, and for all intents and purposes are completely untouched and unfished.

Those are the true gems of Wabakimi IMO B)