Question for you BBQ smoker guys

misfish

just cover the chips in water for 30 minutes, drain the water in place in tin foil with holes punched in the top, or a wood chip canister..

I assume you are using apple or hickory for you're smoke? they compliment pork well.

G

just cover the chips in water for 30 minutes, drain the water in place in tin foil with holes punched in the top, or a wood chip canister..

I assume you are using apple or hickory for you're smoke? they compliment pork well.

G

Thanks Paul and Gerritt.Yes Im using Hickory.

Soaking woodchips is not necessary..... but if you are "smoking" something you would be better off using wood chunks as they prolong the burn.... wood chips tend to burn hot and fast, giving not much flavour...

Burt :)

Well this was my fist attemp at smoking meat and I learned one thing.Put the chip pouch on first,get the smoke going. Other then that,our small pork roast turned out just fantastic.That dry jerk rub and the hickory smoke was a great combination. Looking forward to my next one.

Quick lift to see the progress.

20100704_02.jpg?t=1278283370

Thanks guys for the replies.

Soaking woodchips is not necessary..... but if you are "smoking" something you would be better off using wood chunks as they prolong the burn.... wood chips tend to burn hot and fast, giving not much flavour...

Thanks Burt.

This was more of a indirect heat smoke/cook.

If I have some green wood I don't bother wetting my small wood logs.....but most times I just throw some small logs into a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water the day before.

If you have bark you can use that instead of logs, chunks or chips.......and don't discount maple for smoking...very good and should be aboundent up your way....I have a large silver maple that has providing a LOT of smoke for various meats and fish.

.......and don't discount maple for smoking...very good and should be aboundent up your way....I have a large silver maple that has providing a LOT of smoke for various meats and fish.

I agree..... have used various types of maple for smoke wood.... the infamous sugar maple... to the softer silver maple.... and they all taste the same to me..... GOOOD......!!!!

I agree there is no sense in soaking chunks, however with chips I find they flare and burn up to quick to be of any real use, I find soaking chips works well if I am using chips

Ditto, also, you can still get alot of flavour using chips, just have to add more often.

So where can I get the chunk wood bags?

Going to make a hanging rack for sausages.Highland has some great ones with fennel.Nice and chunky,not mushed grind.Im sure they will be great aswell.

Edited by BrianB